Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs. Spark vs Micra: cheap car overview (Toronto Star Wheels)

Sales-wise, the Micra outsold the Spark and the Mirage during its entire run here (cumulative/total sales). Though monthly sales dropped near the final year or so, and the Spark started selling more.

No parts are shared between the Micra/Mirage. Different cars.

Nissan Canada says they cancelled it because the next gen Micra, which has already been released in Europe, was going to be too expensive to compete in the entry level market here.

Which doesn't really make sense because the company's new "entry level" car is going to be the redesigned Versa sedan, which is going to cost a lot more money than the base Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    So did Nissan discontinue the micra because of the Mirage competing against Nissan? Since they're both kind of the same vehicle and share some parts? Or did Nissan just discontinue it because no one was buying it? Also that is a lot of money for a brand new car that used to be under 10 grand new...
    The Micra doesn't share any common parts with the Mirage except maybe the JATCO CVT. There just isn't any profit in small cars and here in North America we only seem to like fuel guzzling pickups and SUV's / CUV's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-23-2020)

Not even the CVT: Nissan was smart and offered the Micra with an old-school 4-speed trans as the automatic option. (And I'm aware of zero 4AT transmission failures.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-24-2020),inuvik (12-23-2020),MirageRally (12-23-2020),mohammad (10-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Not even the CVT: Nissan was smart and offered the Micra with an old-school 4-speed trans as the automatic option. (And I'm aware of zero 4AT transmission failures.)
    That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if they shoved a CVT into it towards the end.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Let's not forget newly re-introduced for Canada, 2021 Nissan Versa sedan for $16,498 (with manual transmission).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Crazy that they had a old school four-speed up auto until now... You think they would have put a CVT in it because the rest of the lineup had it.... Anyway glad you pointed out there different cars, did not know that.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

I don't think the Micra share's anything with the Mirage. Maybe spark plugs and wheel nuts?
    There's a dealer just south of Edmonton that has a dozen new base model Micra's listed for under $12,000.

I'd strongly consider a new base model spark before a Mirage cause I'm cheap. I'd never consider a cvt in any other cheap car though. Unless it was another low mileage Mirage.
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-23-2020 at 10:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    Let's not forget newly re-introduced for Canada, 2021 Nissan Versa sedan for $16,498 (with manual transmission).
    And it comes with ac, keyless entry, push button start, 6 way drivers seat, fog lights, 15" wheels, rear sway bar, 122hp. I'd totally consider that if I were looking for a new car today. The hyundai accent and kia rio don't come with ac in their base model and I don't think you can even get it with the standard transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    That's why I don't buy Nissan's story that the reason they didn't bring the next gen Micra here is because of cost.

Their entry level MSRP just went from $9988 to $16,498. Surely the new Micra wouldn't have been as expensive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if they shoved a CVT into it towards the end.
    Nope! I realize they did that with the previous version Versa sedan in the U.S. At one point, you could spec it with either the 5MT, 4AT or CVT!

The also-cancelled Versa Note (which shared the same platform & engine as the Micra) came with the CVT-7 though (in Canada, as everywhere else).