Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs. Spark vs Micra: cheap car overview (Toronto Star Wheels)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    And it comes with ac, keyless entry, push button start, 6 way drivers seat, fog lights, 15" wheels, rear sway bar, 122hp. I'd totally consider that if I were looking for a new car today.
    I agree. Compared to price of new basic 2021 Mirage in Canada ($13,858) price difference could be justified.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mitsu is dooming the base Mirage in Canada with an extra grand tacked onto the price for the 2021 model year.

That leaves the remaining two cheapest cars in Canada:

- $10,198 for a base Chevy Spark
    - $13,858 for a base Mitsu Mirage

(Plus delivery charges.)

Yup, that's approaching 4 grand more for a base Mirage.
    I don't know what you're whining about?

Our base level Mirage would cost you nearly $20,000 in Canadian funds.

2021 Mirage ES manual (our base level) is

$14,295
    + $145 already added welcome package (floor mats)
    + $130 already added rear cargo cover
    + $995 destination/handling fees

A base level Mirage with a manual transmission has a MSRP of $15,565 USD (no extra options).

$15,565 USD (using the current exchange rate) = $19,975 Canadian funds

If you don't like shifting, you can add a $1,300 CVT (approx. $1670 Canadian) to your base trim level.

FYI - A 128 hp 2020 Honda Fit LX CVT is only $1080 MSRP more than the current 2021 Mirage ES CVT.

If that still isn't enough for you, you can pay more for the next two trim levels that offer the same basic features as an ES, but you get those nice 14" alloy wheels!

A top trim SE is $18,715 USD = $24,018 Canadian

I bought a brand new 2017 Mirage because new ones were selling for $9,000-9,500. You could buy a new Mirage for under $10,000 OTD. That's a base model with A/C, power windows, & remote entry/power locks.

I don't think a base level/entry level Mirage exists any more. The base ES has all the same basic features as the LE & Carbonite Edition. It would take $5,000+ in discounts to interest me in the current Mirage.

$14,220 (window sticker) - $9,299 (price paid) = $4,921 (my Mirage discount). It would take that same amount or more to keep me interested.

I don't think this car is priced right. I have always felt that way. Only large discounts make it appealing at all.

Why would you pay more for a 2021 LE that has less features (smaller wheels & no heated seats) than a 2020 LE? I would find that quite foolish.

Saddest part of all this - the updated 2021 ES has the same ugly wheel covers as the 2017-20.

Who updates a car & leaves the wheel covers the same? :
    Last edited by Mark; 12-24-2020 at 07:32 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-24-2020)

Maybe some people just like those wheel covers? I saw in that German Spacestar accessory brochure posted on the brochure thread, you can get either hubcap option. 2014 style or the ugly 2017 and newer. That's pretty fancy.

The price of the Mirage used to be lower. It's always been cheaper to buy up here it seems. I drove the wifes Sorento this morning, averaged 10l/100km(23.5mpg) driving well above the speed limit. That's double what I usually get in the Mirage. But I expected worse. Cleaned out the carbon a handful of times to get around slower hung over last minute Christmas shoppers. I'm pretty sure if I had more power I'd be using more often unless there was a block under the go pedal. I miss driving a vehicle where you floor it and something happens. Whaaaa
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-24-2020 at 02:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe some people just like those wheel covers? I saw in that German Spacestar accessory brochure posted on the brochure thread, you can get either hubcap option. 2014 style or the ugly 2017 and newer. That's pretty fancy.

The price of the Mirage used to be lower. It's always been cheaper to buy up here it seems. I drove the wifes Sorento this morning, averaged 10l/100km(23.5mpg) driving well above the speed limit. That's double what I usually get in the Mirage. But I expected worse. Cleaned out the carbon a handful of times to get around slower hung over last minute Christmas shoppers. I'm pretty sure if I had more power I'd be using more often unless there was a block under the go pedal. I miss driving a vehicle where you floor it and something happens. Whaaaa
    I am just making fun of someone else calling the wheel covers ugly recently on the forum. Personally, I could care less! I have three different types of steel rims for my Mirage. I don't care what covers them. In all honesty, I prefer the wheel covers that look like wheel covers instead of wheel covers that try to make cheap steel rims look like alloy wheels.

I don't think the 2017+ wheel covers are that bad. I am more or less making fun of the updated Mirage. They slapped a new front bumper & grill on it, & that's their update. The fact that the ES wheel covers haven't even changed also makes the point that not much else has been changed on the car. As a matter of fact, the middle trim levels have been somewhat demoted. They now have less features in a way, but yet the price will increase across the board. The car is just not marketed very well in my opinion.

On a positive note, it allows one to be content with what they already have & that saves a person money in the long run.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-24-2020 at 03:44 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am just making fun of someone else calling the wheel covers ugly recently on the forum. Personally, I could care less! I have three different types of steel rims for my Mirage. I don't care what covers them. In all honesty, I prefer the wheel covers that look like wheel covers instead of wheel covers that try to make cheap steel rims look like alloy wheels.

I don't think the 2017+ wheel covers are that bad. I am more or less making fun of the updated Mirage. They slapped a new front bumper & grill on it, & that's their update. The fact that the ES wheel covers haven't even changed also makes the point that not much else has been changed on the car. As a matter of fact, the middle trim levels have been somewhat demoted. They now have less features in a way, but yet the price will increase across the board. The car is just not marketed very well in my opinion.

On a positive note, it allows one to be content with what they already have & that saves a person money in the long run.
    Couldn't agree with you more on that last point. I was going to hold off on a used Mirage purchase and get a new 2021....glad I didn't do that now. Saved me a small fortune and I got the trim I wanted. No regrets at all here

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more on that last point. I was going to hold off on a used Mirage purchase and get a new 2021....glad I didn't do that now. Saved me a small fortune and I got the trim I wanted. No regrets at all here
    I don't think anyone who recently bought a 2019-20 Mirage needs to feel any buyer's remorse in 2021 (unless Mitsubishi offers an unbelievable discount on new Mirages). Lately, the 2020 Mirages currently sitting on dealers' lots don't even seem all that discounted. I saw better new Mirage prices this past summer.

If I had to replace my Mirage today, I would be looking for a slightly used one. Personally -

I think the 2014-15 Mirage front has the most character.

I think the 2017-20 Mirage front was made to look like most other cars on the road.

I think the 2021+ Mirage front is made to look like the rest of the Mitsubishi line up.

Outside of size, any new Mitsubishi coming down road will now look the same (when coming at you).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Mark you might be surprised at the difference of the 2014/2015 suspension compared to yours. That is to say there are other differences to be found. Don’t forget brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark you might be surprised at the difference of the 2014/2015 suspension compared to yours. That is to say there are other differences to be found. Don’t forget brakes.
    & 4 more horsepower!

Merry Christmas Eggman!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I was delivering stuff last week during Christmas as a lot of our drivers called out. We've got a spark as our delivery vehicle. Compared to my Mirage there are some pro and cons. The spark somehow feels increably cheap. Like everything you see and touch just feels like garbage. They also really beat you down into feeling poor as it still has roll up windows. The touch screen however is a billion times better than the mirage in presentation. Not in features however. The spark is much faster too. As far as noise its much quieter on the inside. Over all the spark is probably the better ride but it makes you feel peasant class.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    So I was delivering stuff last week during Christmas as a lot of our drivers called out. We've got a spark as our delivery vehicle. Compared to my Mirage there are some pro and cons. The spark somehow feels increably cheap. Like everything you see and touch just feels like garbage. They also really beat you down into feeling poor as it still has roll up windows. The touch screen however is a billion times better than the mirage in presentation. Not in features however. The spark is much faster too. As far as noise its much quieter on the inside. Over all the spark is probably the better ride but it makes you feel peasant class.
    I was considering a used Spark off of Carvana with stupid low miles (7800 if I recall correctly) and was about to pull the trigger---then I saw a neighbor had one and asked if I could try it on for size. I agree, it felt cheap all over and the roll up windows were a disappointment. The infotainment system was, and is in my opinion, better than the stock Mirage's with Android Auto/Apple Carplay standard. It doesn't sound as good comparatively though. The real killer was the rear seat, you can barely fit a poodle back there compared to the roomy Mirage. As I travel a lot usually with a few friends along for the ride, the Mirage was an easy choice to me. Going faster isn't a priority to me anymore in my life, and the Mirage proved to me it's got the chops to travel with long distance. Again, no buyers remorse here that's for sure

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Clessy (12-29-2020),inuvik (12-28-2020),MirageRally (01-05-2021)