Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Fuel Filter Replacement (location: on fuel pump, in the tank)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    [/QUOTE] Attachment 9630 NOTE: You don't need to take it apart as far as I did in the last pic. The sock just pulls off and there is no need to pull the pump retainer clip or rubber isolator off. I did just cause I couldn't tell how it came apart.
    Now whether Mitsu carries these filters is unknown to me, I'm sure there is something that should work though. I'm not going to be changing this filter on any cars unless I see someone tossing hand fulls of dirt in the tank though or drives around for a week with no fuel cap and the fuel door open...[/QUOTE]

For sure! my 23 yo tacoma got a new one last fall only because the gas tank was rusted and it was coming out anyways, the old one looked Ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (03-25-2018),Fummins (03-05-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    in relation to the Fuel Filter replacement, when do we have to change this? mine mirage is nearing 50k is it needed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    in relation to the Fuel Filter replacement, when do we have to change this? mine mirage is nearing 50k is it needed?
    Is your Mirage showing signs of fuel starvation, or other operational problems?

The fuel screen (sock) keeps big stuff from finding it's way into the fuel pump and the fuel lines, and on to the injectors. Use of quality fuel along with due care to keep stuff out of your fuel storage tank ought to help make this screen last the life of your Mirage.

If you are experiencing no problems with how your Mirage operates, why worry about replacing it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (04-29-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Is your Mirage showing signs of fuel starvation, or other operational problems?

The fuel screen (sock) keeps big stuff from finding it's way into the fuel pump and the fuel lines, and on to the injectors. Use of quality fuel along with due care to keep stuff out of your fuel storage tank ought to help make this screen last the life of your Mirage.

If you are experiencing no problems with how your Mirage operates, why worry about replacing it?
    I was just thinking of replacing for prevention purposes. But as you've said if there's no problem then i might just let it be for now hehe saves me money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    with it being such a pain to replace and this being a cheap beater car for me I won't bother till I have issues

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdollatari View Post
    with it being such a pain to replace and this being a cheap beater car for me I won't bother till I have issues
    From everything that I have read on this forum for the past couple years, adding a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner to the gas tank would be my first course of action should I suspect any fuel related issue.

I base that on Steve's Mirage that has over 250,000 miles on it. He suspected a problem. It was enough of a problem that he actually thought his clutch was going out. He added a bottle of Techron, & the problem went away. That may have been a year ago now, & he hasn't had a fuel related issue on his vehicle yet. If the problem was his fuel injectors getting clogged up, it was taken care of. He nows adds a bottle of Techron when he does his tire rotation. Even if it isn't really needed, it's cheap to do.

In my younger days, carburetor issues were my biggest issues with vehicles. Having the carburetor rebuilt on my 1978 Honda Civic was the biggest expense that I had on that car. That car still had a hand choke on the dash. Thus, I am going back some time. We traded my wife's Plymouth Horizon, because of carburetor issues. Local mechanics couldn't get it to run correctly in cold weather.

I can't say that I've ever had a fuel related issue since owning fuel injected vehicles.

Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 08:46 PM.