Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    Oh that's a great idea actually. I'll do that!

I did it myself. No, 3.2 quarts exactly. Dipstick level is literally at the very circle. Not to mention a car overfilled to 5 QTS from 3.2 would smoke like a mofo. XD
    Ummm, is the Mirage like getting popular in the Furry crowd? That avatar.

You gotta find the member with a gif for an avatar then google his name. It’s good for a laugh! A little disturbing too. Actually a lot... I can’t remember the name.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Our 2017 G4 engine got replaced at 30k miles. It was never made clear why. Whats going on? I thought the A392 was the strongest part of the powertrain?
    The 3A92 is a great little motor (just a 4A92 with one cylinder lopped off). Unfortunately lots of people think that cars are magic boxes that whisk you from point a to b with no maintenance. Premature engine failures in the Mirage is almost always due to lack of maintenance. Older Mirages ‘14-‘15 had that cold start over rich issue that could cause premature engine failure that was addressed in the recall and Loren had his engine fail due to a missed shift while autocrossing. We have a few members that freely admit they flog their Mirages hard, with a lot of high rpm’s and WOT. But they maintain them and haven’t really had any issues. No engine will last if you never change or check the oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-22-2020)

Mine ran like a top til we had a week of -36c. Now it knocks. I was not beating the crap out of this thing and would be kinda surprised if I actually get a dealer to even look at it without all the service records for the life of the car. Which I don’t have. There are a handful of service records on the Mitsubishi site and from car fax though. I might contact the previous owner and see if he has any records or can get them from whoever serviced it for him.

But yeah, the engine was the last thing I’d expect to ever have an issue with. It’s not really a huge deal and will probably last many moons like it is, but it sounds like crap. I’d rather try to get it fixed(new engine” if not I’ll drive it til it goes and go from there. I did take a crapy video trying to record the noise. Not sure how to post it as I’m a slow adult when it comes to that.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Mine ran like a top til we had a week of -36c. Now it knocks. I was not beating the crap out of this thing and would be kinda surprised if I actually get a dealer to even look at it without all the service records for the life of the car. Which I don’t have. There are a handful of service records on the Mitsubishi site and from car fax though. I might contact the previous owner and see if he has any records or can get them from whoever serviced it for him.

But yeah, the engine was the last thing I’d expect to ever have an issue with. It’s not really a huge deal and will probably last many moons like it is, but it sounds like crap. I’d rather try to get it fixed(new engine” if not I’ll drive it til it goes and go from there. I did take a crapy video trying to record the noise. Not sure how to post it as I’m a slow adult when it comes to that.
    Just curious Fummins did you register your VIN at the Mitsubishi owners portion on the corporate website? Once you do it will tell you if there any open recalls on your VIN that haven’t been completed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2020)

I did, didn’t show any open recalls. Looked like everything was up to date as far as I could tell.
    Mirage videos:

It was last at a dealer in oct 2018 for recalls.
    Mirage videos:

Let’s see if this works noise starts at 14sec. Damnit hang on I’ll try again

https://vimeo.com/386386934 It sounds like an old Mazda with a bad lifter.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 01-22-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: (tried to embed vid)
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Let’s see if this works noise starts at 14sec. Damnit hang on I’ll try again

https://vimeo.com/386386934 It sounds like an old Mazda with a bad lifter.
    Hmm, yah that definitely doesn’t sound normal to me. With -30C and colder do you think that there might be some oil starvation issues on startup with temps that cold? Just thinking out loud here. You’ve torn these cars apart from top to bottom literally so you know way more than I do.

Anything is possible. Think away. I kinda miss working in a shop with other people some days, having someone to bounce ideas off of come in handy.

There’s only one mirage at work that sounds like mine. It was serviced out of town up until last year. It’s the one that needed a cvt but the dealer denied warranty(for not having cvt fluid changed for the previous years) after saying it needed plugs. It still runs the same as it did last year.
    I see the tsb is for cars built before early 2015 I forget what month..

I seem to recall mention of the pistons shrinking in extreme cold, enough to flap around a bit and burn oil. I can’t remember if they made noise too.

The crappy clip I took was when the car was warm. After driving about 30 mins. It’s been surprisingly warm here lately. Yesterday was close to 0c

Last edited by Fummins; 01-22-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Mirage videos: