Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CVT transmission is having issues shifting

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT transmission is having issues shifting

Hi all,

The car, 2014 Mirage ES is actually my daughters. It has had several issues... mostly self induced by said daughter. But on to the latest. The CVT trans is having issues shifting. The fluid is clean and full. The symptoms are it will up shift but quickly fall back to the lower setting, the action repeats - up/down, it starts at around 30 mph. I had the local parts house check for codes and there weren't any, (yes I know I should buy a reader of my own - any recommendations on a brand - model ?). Kind of at a loss at what to do next. Shop trips are costly and I'm hoping to avoid it if possible. Oh - the trans has 80K, engine has about 20k (self induced destruction of the original engine).

Forums have been a great source of information in the past, hopefully my luck continues.

Thanks guys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Hi all,

The car, 2014 Mirage ES is actually my daughters. It has had several issues... mostly self induced by said daughter. But on to the latest. The CVT trans is having issues shifting. The fluid is clean and full. The symptoms are it will up shift but quickly fall back to the lower setting, the action repeats - up/down, it starts at around 30 mph. I had the local parts house check for codes and there weren't any, (yes I know I should buy a reader of my own - any recommendations on a brand - model ?). Kind of at a loss at what to do next. Shop trips are costly and I'm hoping to avoid it if possible. Oh - the trans has 80K, engine has about 20k (self induced destruction of the original engine).

Forums have been a great source of information in the past, hopefully my luck continues.

Thanks guys.
    Welcome to the forum! If the filters haven't been changed then it would be prudent to change at least the upper filter which doesn't require a drain (you will lose a little with the volume of fluid in the filter itself). Also, print out this TSB and take to the dealer for a CVT repogram.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

Hopefully this will help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    One thing about being a CVT owner - You'll never have to feel your pain alone! Dirk will always be there for you!!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-16-2020),poorman1 (01-14-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Im sure its fine the fluid looked good. Probably just needs a reflash. Funny though mine is original everything from 2014 and Ive yet to feel it underperform? Thoughts my cabal of wizardry?

Unless you have a decent scanner you won't pull codes for the transmission computer. You could have some stored and no engine light. Basically no scanner/code reader that only reads obdII codes will be of any help. Unless you get something between $500-1000.

Does the car shift up and down all the time at all different speeds? Mine is kinda all over the place on the freeway around 50mph and doesn't want to up shift to drop rpm until it's good and warm which usually takes 20 mins in our ****ty weather.

Do you not have any powertrain warranty?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Unless you have a decent scanner you won't pull codes for the transmission computer. You could have some stored and no engine light. Basically no scanner/code reader that only reads obdII codes will be of any help. Unless you get something between $500-1000.

Does the car shift up and down all the time at all different speeds? Mine is kinda all over the place on the freeway around 50mph and doesn't want to up shift to drop rpm until it's good and warm which usually takes 20 mins in our ****ty weather.

Do you not have any powertrain warranty?
    Fummins!!! Your back!!! Thank the Gods! I was quivering buck naked in the fetal position, in the cold dark woods, fearing we'd never hear from you again!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Lets get an update amigo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fummins!!! Your back!!! Thank the Gods! I was quivering buck naked in the fetal position, in the cold dark woods, fearing we'd never hear from you again!
    Glad you didn't include a pic of that!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-15-2020),Fummins (01-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want to know how the original engine was destroyed in 20k miles. Do tell please.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-15-2020)