Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Just curious Fummins did you register your VIN at the Mitsubishi owners portion on the corporate website? Once you do it will tell you if there any open recalls on your VIN that haven’t been completed.
    For those that don't know, you can look up recalls here: https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...e?q=recallinfo

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Do you know what weight oil is in it?

My thought process: could it be oil the previous owner put in it that was too thick for -30C.

But I'm sure you changed the oil after you got it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Not sure what previous owner did. I there was a slightly overdue oil change sticker from a quick lube place when I bought it. I changed it right away with 0w20, the same that I use on the company cars, the only difference is I used a wix filter.
    A lot of the work cars have a bit of a knock when really cold but I only know of that one car that's noisy like mine. It might even be top end or piston slap. I don't hear it when floored and reved over 3500. Mostly under light-medium load when warm or all the time when cold.
    Last knocking engine I recall owning was a k car. I over revved it and put a rod through the block, because racecar and because it was free and I didnt care. But I don't beat stuff like that anymore. I baby the Mirage(for some weird reason) and flog on my rzr only.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I seem to recall mention of the pistons shrinking in extreme cold, enough to flap around a bit and burn oil. I can’t remember if they made noise too.
    Found a couple of threads that look relvant:

40,000kish Miles - Engine Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdents View Post
    Just posting here for others. This winter, my 2014 mirage began making a knocking noise on cold starts on cold days only. This escalated to all cold starts making the knock. Power was sluggish, but as the car warmed, the noise went away.

2 Visits to the dealer and got a 'technician could not reproduce' each time when I complained about the issue. At the time, I also had a failure with my front driver window regulator, which immediately broke after 2 weeks. I call the dealer, fussed about the window and the non-diagnosis and asked them to take the car for the night, so they can drive it in the morning.

Lo and Behold, they hear the knocked, and investigate. The dealer was very good about this, though the notes on the failure are vague. They replaced the engine, looks shiny. No questions asked warranty replacement, Marina Mitsubishi in Rochester NY.

Solution as written:

Caused by:

After further diagnosis technician found that the motor is scored and causing the heavy knocking noise, needs to be replaced.

Parts installed:
    Engine Assy, Long (1000C848)
    Engine Oil, Synthetic, 0W
    Long Life Coolant
    Hose Clamp
    CVT Fluid, J4

I always got oil changes with the correct oil, and recently started doing it myself (after the knock started) due to me not trusting my local mechanics to not overfill.

Should I start putting a heavier oil in to avoid this in the future?
    --and--

And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfly600 View Post
    Okay so this all started during our cold weeks we had here up in Quebec Canada.

At start up there was an annoying ticking sound that would eventually leave once operating temp was reach, didn't think much of it since, hell is -25C (-13F for our southern neighbors ). As my dear Mirage is mostly my wife's daily driver, I only drive it mostly week ends other then that I drive around in my gm pickup so i didn't think much about as well my truck makes all sorts of odd noises yet nothing is broken.. (it's a GM lol...)

During the Christmas week, the slight ticking became a loud slapping clacking noise constant regardless of temperature and would be accentuated at around 2-3K rpm.
    Car went to the dealership for an initial check Jan 5th. (earliest date available)
    At that moment we were told that it was most likely due the a previous recall, ECU remap, that has already been done a while back about 3-4 months if i recall properly.
    Something along the lines of too rich when cold ecu would compensate by leaning out the fuel mix so on and so on and well it cooked the poor 3 Cyl engine to death and what we would hear was the piston(s) becoming maraccas.

We were told to bring it back the following Monday to have some data taken and deeper analysis done on it.

Today 9th the dealer gives me a call back and says " Yeah you need a new engine..." so i question him on the why and how. " Premature failure of internal engine component(s), we do not open it up we just replace it"

Sadly, I could not get more info out the mechanic. So conclusion 80500 KM in it will be receiving a new engine (under warranty) I have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks for it to arrive if the have it in stock from Toronto Ontario.

So yeah... If I do stumble upon more info on it I will share it with the community.

Couple of answers for any upcoming questions:

No check engine.
    No power loss.
    No real fuel economy impact.
    No strange vibrations.
    Properly maintained

Nothing to really say the engine was failing other then the noise

Any one with similar issues?!

Ralph
    Sorry it took so long to find these. Searching the forum is difficult on the phone.

Edit: --and--

runs great just don't like to start.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Been having "no start" issues with my 2014 Mirage. Trouble started just days after the 25,000 km service.
    The issue is random... cold, hot, warm, doesn't matter.
    When I'm cranking engine it "apparently" starts but when I let go of the key it stops. After this happens it can become almost impossible to start at all or it starts fine.. no rhyme or reason. I have been to the dealer a few times but as this condition throws no codes they are having no luck. They changed some relays and put in a bigger battery but problem persists. To build a file of proof I started recording every time I try to start the car... below is a link to these videos. There are a few scattered expletives in there so fair warning. The engine sound is there but not as loud as I had hoped.
    The only advice dealer can give me is to hold key in crank pos longer than seems appropriate/until car starts. In the longest vid I held the key on first attempt Wayyy longer than acceptable but you will see how it turns out.
    These vids have been sent to Mitsubishi rep by dealer for instructions on how to proceed.
    For now will keep building evidence to invoke "lemon law" if possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zam43ia2c...rEnQGk4Ma?dl=0
    Edit: --and--

Valve noise on start-up!

Specifically,
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Noise has continued to increase. My service manager feels it is piston scoring and I am getting a new block under warranty. Bye 0w-20.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Not sure what previous owner did. I there was a slightly overdue oil change sticker from a quick lube place when I bought it. I changed it right away with 0w20, the same that I use on the company cars, the only difference is I used a wix filter.
    A lot of the work cars have a bit of a knock when really cold but I only know of that one car that's noisy like mine. It might even be top end or piston slap. I don't hear it when floored and reved over 3500. Mostly under light-medium load when warm or all the time when cold.
    Last knocking engine I recall owning was a k car. I over revved it and put a rod through the block, because racecar and because it was free and I didnt care. But I don't beat stuff like that anymore. I baby the Mirage(for some weird reason) and flog on my rzr only.

Since it is a used car & the history of it is unclear, I would take it in for the early recall for those cars. The recall specifically seems associated to you what you may be describing. If nothing else, you will have documentation that there is an issue should warranty work need to be done later on.

ECM REPROGRAMMING FOR ENGINE KNOCKING DATE: February, 2016
    NOISE - SERVICE CAMPAIGN

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03104-0335.pdf

I took this from one of your own earlier posts. I would have the recall done before jumping to conclusions, but I know less about cars.

Thanks for that. I just messaged the previous owner, hopefully he kept some records. Hope for the best expect the worst lol
    I just found this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    My 2014 ES started to piston slap at 47k and by 51k the dealer had put a 2017 block in it under warranty. Determined it was scored cylinders.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ht=piston+cold
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Thanks for that. I just messaged the previous owner, hopefully he kept some records. Hope for the best expect the worst lol
    I just found this too.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ht=piston+cold
    Regardless, it puts you at the mercy of the dealers. I try to avoid them like the plague, but in these cases it's unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since it is a used car & the history of it is unclear, I would take it in for the early recall for those cars. The recall specifically seems associated to you what you may be describing. If nothing else, you will have documentation that there is an issue should warranty work need to be done later on.

ECM REPROGRAMMING FOR ENGINE KNOCKING DATE: February, 2016
    NOISE - SERVICE CAMPAIGN

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03104-0335.pdf

I took this from one of your own earlier posts. I would have the recall done before jumping to conclusions, but I know less about cars.
    There are no outstanding recalls for my car.
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Regardless, it puts you at the mercy of the dealers. I try to avoid them like the plague, but in these cases it's unavoidable.
    Yeah, I could just buy another engine and install it for $600 but I'd rather not have to. Stupid dealers.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah, I could just buy another engine and install it for $600 but I'd rather not have to. Stupid dealers.
    I'm still not convinced that the 'over rich' at cold startup (fuel remapping) would cause engine failure. Thinking of all the cars I have owned, most carbureted, many with hand chokes.....and I am certain that they were run very rich at cold startup many times. Most were small block V8 Fords with 2100/2150 2bbl carbs. And one carbureted Mitsubishi 4 cyl. And....many years ago, I ran 10W40 all year round, even in single digit temperatures.
    I suspect the metal shrinking due to excessive cold....as I believe IchabodCrane mentioned. Fuel? I can't imagine how that little bit of fuel could cause damage to the cylinders.
    But maybe it can? Just seems strange to me. Wonder how many cars did not get the reflash done and ran for 100-200k miles?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2020)