Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I'm still not convinced that the 'over rich' at cold startup (fuel remapping) would cause engine failure. Thinking of all the cars I have owned, most carbureted, many with hand chokes.....and I am certain that they were run very rich at cold startup many times. Most were small block V8 Fords with 2100/2150 2bbl carbs. And one carbureted Mitsubishi 4 cyl. And....many years ago, I ran 10W40 all year round, even in single digit temperatures.
    I suspect the metal shrinking due to excessive cold....as I believe IchabodCrane mentioned. Fuel? I can't imagine how that little bit of fuel could cause damage to the cylinders.
    But maybe it can? Just seems strange to me. Wonder how many cars did not get the reflash done and ran for 100-200k miles?
    I couldn’t agree more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I'm still not convinced that the 'over rich' at cold startup (fuel remapping) would cause engine failure. Thinking of all the cars I have owned, most carbureted, many with hand chokes.....and I am certain that they were run very rich at cold startup many times. Most were small block V8 Fords with 2100/2150 2bbl carbs. And one carbureted Mitsubishi 4 cyl. And....many years ago, I ran 10W40 all year round, even in single digit temperatures.
    I suspect the metal shrinking due to excessive cold....as I believe IchabodCrane mentioned. Fuel? I can't imagine how that little bit of fuel could cause damage to the cylinders.
    But maybe it can? Just seems strange to me. Wonder how many cars did not get the reflash done and ran for 100-200k miles?
    If the knocking goes away during warmer temperatures, it may be related to what the recall is addressing. I wasn't suggesting this issue had caused your engine damage.

If the knocking sound is permanent, it's probably more serious. It's been an issue for some in the past apparently.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    And your car had the reflash recall done already?
    From my experience (in a product repair business, not cars), manufacturers will correct for safety and customer satisfaction, but no law prevents them from selling a product with issues. And it happens so much more often than the consumer knows. That's why I rarely buy anything new. Plus, I'm cheap (thrifty).

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the knocking goes away during warmer temperatures, it may be related to what the recall is addressing. I wasn't suggesting this issue had caused your engine damage.

If the knocking sound is permanent, it's probably more serious. It's been an issue for some in the past apparently.
    Sorry Mark, I may have not understood.
    Was reading and eating at the same time

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Wonder how many cars did not get the reflash done and ran for 100-200k miles?
    Ones that never see cold temperatures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

It knocks when -35c. Gets slightly quieter once engine is warmed(driving for 30 mins) but you can still hear it. The clip I posted was after car was warmed up(driving 30 mins on freeway) ) and it was around 0c maybe warmer. It’s been decent out lately and the noise is still there under load. All the recalls are up to date. Whether that One tsb was a full blown recall I don’t know. I kinda doubt it, but it stated letters were sent out to owners about it so who knows.
    Mine has had a bunch of recalls done since new, last time was oct 2018. I have no clue what recalls were actually done though as the info on the Mitsubishi site is encrypted in derpansese that I assume only a high level mitsu guru can crack.

I haven’t heard back from previous owner so I may be hooped. I might take it in for sharts still. The dealer I don’t care for is close but I’d rather try my luck elsewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess the problem the service campaign is adressing isn't with it running too rich, but it running too lean... which WILL destroy an engine. Doesn't hurt anything to ask about it.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you guys want any recall info for the CDM models, let me know. Slow day at work today. PM me a VIN.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Are you able to tell what recalls were completed?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes. I cannot for legal reasons post them on the forum, however Mitsubishi Canada does allow me to disclose the state of recalls completed or not to the owner that supplies me the VIN.

Technically, if an owner calls in I can provide them that information, and a reselling dealer or third party can request the information, however it can't be "posted". Which is where that whole PM only side comes from.

The backend side of the automotive is world is a myriad of legal potholes.

*Edit, for those curious, recall status should in fact be public knowledge, however for me, it's disclosing information reported to me by MMDL where the issues come from. Since I am using dealerlink to access the information, I can't post it for anybody other than the registered owner or "keyholder".

Last edited by nickels; 01-27-2020 at 06:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2020)