Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it in this engine.

Edit: save a sample of your oil when you're ready for the next change. You could send it in for analysis. If there's knock, there would be bearing wear, and it would show up in the report.
    Oh that's a great idea actually. I'll do that!

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The oil didn't get overfilled did it? The Mirage is only 3 quarts with filter. We've seen quick lube places and even a dealer or two put in 5 quarts.
    I did it myself. No, 3.2 quarts exactly. Dipstick level is literally at the very circle. Not to mention a car overfilled to 5 QTS from 3.2 would smoke like a mofo. XD

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    Oh that's a great idea actually. I'll do that!

I did it myself. No, 3.2 quarts exactly. Dipstick level is literally at the very circle. Not to mention a car overfilled to 5 QTS from 3.2 would smoke like a mofo. XD
    Hi YiffiAki,

Thanks for your post. I look forward to your used oil analysis.

I also experience the ping or rod knock at lower rpm with higher engine load. It sounds like a distant metallic tambourine sound. The sound existed since the car was born.

The dealership put in Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 API SN. Similar to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-40. But its thick as molasses and they don't have other viscosity grades in stock.

I've change the motor oil to Autobacs 0w-20 part-synthetic API SN GF-5. It is a Japanese auto supermarket house brand made by Mobil. I got it for US$1.60 per quart as they were clearing stock to make way for bigger bottles. The small 3.2 quart cans couldn't sell as most cars took more oil.

I'm using 95 RON octane petrol (gasoline) (similar to 91 AKI octane). I was wondering if using a higher octane would cure the pinging sound. I haven't tried it as premium petrol is expensive.

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alvinkiang View Post
    Hi YiffiAki,

Thanks for your post. I look forward to your used oil analysis.

I also experience the ping or rod knock at lower rpm with higher engine load. It sounds like a distant metallic tambourine sound. The sound existed since the car was born.

The dealership put in Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 API SN. Similar to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-40. But its thick as molasses and they don't have other viscosity grades in stock.

I've change the motor oil to Autobacs 0w-20 part-synthetic API SN GF-5. It is a Japanese auto supermarket house brand made by Mobil. I got it for US$1.60 per quart as they were clearing stock to make way for bigger bottles. The small 3.2 quart cans couldn't sell as most cars took more oil.

I'm using 95 RON octane petrol (gasoline) (similar to 91 AKI octane). I was wondering if using a higher octane would cure the pinging sound. I haven't tried it as premium petrol is expensive.
    This is the noise I'm hearing. I'm gonna have to check this out.
    How about in the mornings guys? Do you hear a bit of engine knock? I do.
    Oil level still perfect. No anomalies. No weird coloring, no sparkling oil, no nothing.

I think I heard what you are hearing. It happened in a car that hasn't been started in almost a week. Fired it up and drove it across the parking lot and heard a noise. It was faint but it was there. It only seemed to be when revved up a little and it was in gear(under load) It sounded like a faint knock or could have been something rattling around. It seemed to be coming from the lower engine area. Car has around 60k kms on it. Not anything to worry about, at least not unless it gets worse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    The metallic tambourine sound happens throughout a journey and not just a start up or warm up.

The metallic tambourine sound happens at load (with pedal pressure) and never at idle.

The sound had reduced since I switched fuel brand from SPC (PetroChina) RON 95 to Caltex (Chevron) RON 95. It is still present, but much less with the Caltex. The SPC petrol is a tiny bit cheaper than Caltex; I wonder if price is a factor here. I have not tried Shell or Esso (Exxon).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My mirage makes a light rod knock sound under mild loads, been like that for a long time. My 1987 Toyota mr2 made the same sound but a bit louder under mild loads 2500-4000rpm, I gradually saw the oil pressure in the Toyota go lower and lower over 30k miles until it got down to 10psi idle and began making the same sound all the time, did that for 500 miles before a rod came through the block.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    My mirage makes a light rod knock sound under mild loads, been like that for a long time. My 1987 Toyota mr2 made the same sound but a bit louder under mild loads 2500-4000rpm, I gradually saw the oil pressure in the Toyota go lower and lower over 30k miles until it got down to 10psi idle and began making the same sound all the time, did that for 500 miles before a rod came through the block.
    This is good to know. I'll have to look into monitoring oil pressure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like pinging. It happens in my 250cc 2 stroke mx bike, the last 2 of them actually, if I don't run at least 92oct. My old 2003 CR250 needed about 96-97oct which I mixed 92 and 110 50/50.

That's pre detonation and you need the higher octane which actually resists firing early in higher compression engines.

It's always under load in a gear too high for the situation usually. And it will blow the engine in a bike too if left unchecked.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    any updates regarding pinging? my mirage also ping ever since, only when im accelerating between 80kph to 100kph 5th gear, and a little bit of pinging in 4th gear 80kph to 90kph. Over 110kph over no pinging.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    btw this is the sound ive heard during pinging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus