Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2017 GT Mirage with poor mpg

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my experience the 17's are not as efficient as the earlier models.
    My 17 "GT" has 25,000km on it now and I'm hard pressed to match the fuel economy of my previous 14 Mirage.
    While the 14 routinely logged 4.4L/100km with the occaisional 3.3L/100km on my work commute.
    The 17 has never been able to accomplish these numbers. My best commute so far has been 4.6L/100km and it won't do this every day.

note: Both cars were/are top trim level CVT equipped.
    While the 17 has 15" tires the winter tires/rims are 14" and this offers no improvement in mpg.
    I run/ran them the same over same commute, tires @ 35psi with climate control on auto except in winter where I have to choose settings that keep windshield clear. I never turn off the air cond. The little snowflake is on whenever it wants to be. (both cars)
    While I believe the 17's are less efficient I'm still getting a good return for my gas dollars so I'll run it until it turns to red dust.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-14-2017),fc321 (08-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2017 GT had 34 mpg for the first 2000 miles. I now have 10000 miles and have went up to 37 mpg. I think this car does not like high speeds because 90% of my driving is 70- 75 mph highway with cruise on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20170814_150749.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  95.6 KB

Hello again everyone. After airing up my tires to 45psi and adjusting my ac to about 80°F at 3 bars of speed as well as utilizing my cruise control a lot more. I managed to get a bit over 40mpg! I'm hoping this will be easier to obtain after the engine is properly broken in. I achieved this for the majority of my 2 hour trip at 65mph. The pic was taken when I got stufk in traffic. Don't worry, it was a very fast snap shot.

Thank you all for the great tips. Cant wait to drive some more! I have a 4 hour trip on Wednesday that im looking forward to!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    In my experience the 17's are not as efficient as the earlier models.
    My 17 "GT" has 25,000km on it now and I'm hard pressed to match the fuel economy of my previous 14 Mirage.
    While the 14 routinely logged 4.4L/100km with the occaisional 3.3L/100km on my work commute.
    The 17 has never been able to accomplish these numbers. My best commute so far has been 4.6L/100km and it won't do this every day.

note: Both cars were/are top trim level CVT equipped.
    While the 17 has 15" tires the winter tires/rims are 14" and this offers no improvement in mpg.
    I run/ran them the same over same commute, tires @ 35psi with climate control on auto except in winter where I have to choose settings that keep windshield clear. I never turn off the air cond. The little snowflake is on whenever it wants to be. (both cars)
    While I believe the 17's are less efficient I'm still getting a good return for my gas dollars so I'll run it until it turns to red dust.

The red dust bit made me laugh. I plan to do the same, its an intense change from my f150 or 2500hd Silverado!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rndeleon1988 View Post
    Name:  20170814_150749.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  95.6 KB

Hello again everyone. After airing up my tires to 45psi and adjusting my ac to about 80°F at 3 bars of speed as well as utilizing my cruise control a lot more. I managed to get a bit over 40mpg! I'm hoping this will be easier to obtain after the engine is properly broken in. I achieved this for the majority of my 2 hour trip at 65mph. The pic was taken when I got stufk in traffic. Don't worry, it was a very fast snap shot.

Thank you all for the great tips. Cant wait to drive some more! I have a 4 hour trip on Wednesday that im looking forward to!!
    Don't forget that the "A" average resets itself after approximately 4 hours of inactivity. The "B" average remains until you reset it. It's a goofy idiosyncrasy with the Mirage. Makes no sense to me but apparently made sense to an engineer somewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Don't forget that the "A" average resets itself after approximately 4 hours of inactivity. The "B" average remains until you reset it. It's a goofy idiosyncrasy with the Mirage. Makes no sense to me but apparently made sense to an engineer somewhere.
    So that's why it kept doing that! Thank you, will be on B now
    -
    Death is the final unknown

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

not so fast....

Quote Originally Posted by Rndeleon1988 View Post
    So that's why it kept doing that! Thank you, will be on B now
    Be careful here. Average A is a lot closer to what is happening as you drive. Average B will take forever to change, as it's averaging the momentary fuel consumption with the life of the reading. One tankful of excellent mileage won't make much of a dent in an accumulated 20 tanks worth. Use B for lifetime or seasonal averages.

I would think keeping A at a good reading as often as you can will be more rewarding. You get quicker gratification.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Be careful here. Average A is a lot closer to what is happening as you drive. Average B will take forever to change, as it's averaging the momentary fuel consumption with the life of the reading. One tankful of excellent mileage won't make much of a dent in an accumulated 20 tanks worth. Use B for lifetime or seasonal averages.

I would think keeping A at a good reading as often as you can will be more rewarding. You get quicker gratification.
    I reset "B" at every fillup

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I reset "B" at every fillup
    Me too. I also use my OBD-II bluetooth adapter to monitor real-time mpg along with other stuff. Careful - this all can be distracting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My MPG has definitely gone up after the break in. I'm very happy with the mirage now! Hopefully I've managed to maintain 51.5 MPG on my 4 hour trips so far and it feels so good to save that kind of cash at the pump. Thank you all for your help, truly means a lot!

-
    Death is the final unknown

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rndeleon1988 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-22-2017)