Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone know how to fix this bumper dent? Update: solved!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How is your deductible? I would just pay the $200 and let the insurance pay your auto body guy. That is why we pay for insurance, after all . Make sure they use factory parts.
    Otherwise, if you are Handy, or know someone that is, for less than $100 you could go find one wrecked and pull a fender and install it. My buddy did that for me on my 87 Chevrolet Sprint. It was like $30-$40. Found a car the same color, it almost matched perfectly even though it was a 12 year old car. They are out there, just search on line through local dismantlers and Pic No Pulls.

Why change the fender when the bumper has a dent? The bottom corner of the rad support gets pushed when you hit a pothole or parking curb putting pressure on the bottom rear edge of the bumper, then it bends/creases at the weakest part which is always near where it clips on near the fender. I'm seeing this on more cars now. You can look under the front at the lowest point under the front of the car, there is one bolt that goes straight up on each corner with a 12mm head I believe? If yours is bent the bolts might be bent back a bit. I can tell when I change oil cause it's noticeably tighter to get my arm between the rad hose to get the oil filter off from below. The real fix is to pull the bumper cover and then pull the bottom corner of the rad support back. It's pretty easy thin metal and easy to pull back into place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Here are some pics of where the rad support gets bent and causes the bumper to bend where it meets the fender I noticed there are 2 unused pigtails on the drivers side. One for fog lights and the other for??? Attachment 11573 Attachment 11574 Attachment 11576 Attachment 11575 It doesn't look pushed back too bad but it's enough to make it tough to get the oil filter out from below. The rad hose is pushed pretty close to it.

Damn pics rotated on me again. Sorry, just cock your head to the left.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-24-2018),MetroMPG (08-06-2018)

I gave up on trying to fix the pictures, they keep spinning when I upload them...

I just tried a quicker way to fix this. Remove the 12mm bolt on the bottom of the rad support that points straight up. (Rather, the bolt that should point straight up but is now bent towards the rear of the car...) If it's been smashed too hard or too many times you'll need a 13mm or 1/2 socket.
    Find a longer bolt, I had a spare belhousing or starter bolt that has the same threads. Now find a washer or 2. Now find something like a ratchet strap, chain or cable to secure to the longer bolt and thread it back into the rad support. Attachment 12265Attachment 12266Hook the other end of whatever you managed to find to something that won't move. Like a fire hydrant, neighbors pickup truck, a tree or a building? I ended up driving the car onto a 4 post hoist and hooked up a chain to that. Remove the slack and stand on or pull on your strap/chain/cable til the bolt points straight up and down. Now take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the bumper a little bit and bend it back into place. Or if you're lucky enough it'll just go to almost normal on it's if you fix it quick enough.
    before: Attachment 12264
    After: Attachment 12267 It's not perfect but it'll likely happen just again in a week. And this fix took under 10mins.
    Mirage videos:

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-06-2018),MetroMPG (08-06-2018),Top_Fuel (08-07-2018)

Awesome - thanks, Fummins!

Seems like this will be a common bit of damage. Nice to see a fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yeesh, what are those hooligans doing up there to bend front bumpers and fenders on a weekly basis?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

It's from smashing into parking curbs. I've never had it happen to me but apparently parking curbs must be the same height as the bottom of the rad support. I've seen a dozen or so cars with the bumper popped out on one or both corners. They also seem to catch the curbs when backing away from them, breaking the tabs off the bottom of the bumper cover. People don't care when it's not there's.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A friend hit the cub hard and bent the radiator bracket back. Body shop estimated $1200 to $2,500. Used a come along from Harbor Freight some washers, nuts, bolt and a u-bolt to pull the bottom of the radiator bracket out. Had a split and a crease on the bottom of the bumper cover. The heat gun took out the crease. Riveted a piece of aluminum on the split on the bottom. Painted with Krylon black. Good enough until some one does it again. Name:  IMG_20220426_131052795_HDR.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  97.2 KBName:  IMG_20220425_144842228_HDR.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  94.0 KBName:  IMG_20220426_131955063.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  95.2 KB

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmeana For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-29-2022),Fummins (05-28-2022),inuvik (05-29-2022)