Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos of lowered Mirages on 14" wheels/tire?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The h&r springs were harsh but much improved handling. The tein are a bit softer and offer a lowered ride without much improved handling. I'm switching back to stock though eventually, possibly even upgrading front and rear to handle the weight of 4 passengers better (I drive uber full time). I believe that picture above that metro posted is with the h&r, they are slightly lower than the tein.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would suggest the VW springs for full-time full load scenarios.
    Although, now that the springs are a few years old, they're not as stiff as they used to be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-13-2017)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    The h&r springs were harsh but much improved handling. The tein are a bit softer and offer a lowered ride without much improved handling. I'm switching back to stock though eventually, possibly even upgrading front and rear to handle the weight of 4 passengers better (I drive uber full time). I believe that picture above that metro posted is with the h&r, they are slightly lower than the tein.
    I'm curious how the handling is with the factory shocks. I wonder how long they'd last lowered? I've almost always replaced my shocks when I replace my springs on cars. However, I know there aren't any aftermarket options at this point.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    However, I know there aren't any aftermarket options at this point.
    Oh, I'm sure there are - we just haven't found them yet.

With the group on this forum, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why are you guys so bent on different shocks? They won't make your car handle any better

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Why are you guys so bent on different shocks? They won't make your car handle any better
    Shocks will improve handling if they are better but not by much. You will only feel huge noticeable differences by replacing all the components.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They only help if your racing on bumps. Otherwise the factory shocks are perfectly capable of handling a smooth driver, on any reasonable surface.

The shocks are there too prevent see-saw effect. Too stiff they prevent the car suspension from doing its job and your tire comes off the ground ln bumps. To soft and the car just Bobs up n down.

Anyone who's ever raced, even on a video game level, knows it's all about smoothness.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    That's not true at all. Why do you suppose high-performance shocks even exist?

If you are going with a stiffer spring rate or dropping the car more than an itsy-bitsy amount, your OEM shocks are not up to the task of properly damping them (from a performance standpoint), hence upgrading shocks to a more high-performance unit. Unfortunately, unless you go with a full coilover setup (such as the Tein Basic), there isn't a stand-alone shock/strut combo that is any more high-performance that the OEM units.

Lowering springs will wear out stock shocks faster.
    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 10-13-2017 at 07:52 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (06-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol ok guys.

98% of high performance shocks are simply brightly coloured shocks. A true performance shock isn't based on dampening rate, how stiff or soft, the amount of knobs levers or cylinders

You pay high dollar for quality, repeatability and smoothness and speed.

I'm sorry but if you think bolting on stiffer shocks or whatever is going to transform your mirage into an indy car your simply mistaken unless we're going baja racing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So you don't think that the over-bouncyness is not also associated with the shocks the car has?