Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horrible MPG (was getting 37 mpg, now 27)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got 28mpg from a single rear tire losing air slowly from a nail. I was really stunned how much tire psi matters for mpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My advice might not be worth anything, but it's free:

-- I keep tires 2-3 psi higher than recommended.

-- To the OP and others getting crappy mileage, do you live where it is hilly? A steep hill can make mpgs plummet at least temporarily. A lot of hills will lower the average.

-- Do you have, and if so are you using, cruise control? I've read reports from tests that show people getting worse fuel economy using cruise control, unless they are using it almost exclusively to maintain speed on long, flat stretches of highway.

-- If you are avoiding burning up fuel needlessly with jack rabbit starts and fast acceleration, remember that you are also wasting gas if you are hard on the brakes. Try slowing for stops and turns much earlier, with foot off of the gas and occasional light braking, so that much less brake is needed when you get to finally get to the stop or turn.

-- Leave earlier and travel more slowly.

If I were getting mpg in the 20s on my 2015 DE, I'd also check any of the mechanical issues--sensors, etc.--others have mentioned if they haven't all been checked yet.

That's all I got.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I averaged 32mpg on my first fill up after buying my car a couple weeks ago. Very frustrating. I'm not hard on the gas. And my drive to work is only 9miles, 6 of which is hwy.

2015 RF 67k.

How fast on the hwy? How much stop & crawl?

Which transmission? (Make a garage entry: add car)

What were you getting from your previous car on the same route, and what car was it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    I live in a very hilly area ( the alps in europe ) and drive mostly to work and back.
    42 Kilometers ( 26 miles ) a day. City driving to work, Highway home ( 125 kmh ( 78 mph ) average Highway Speed ).

My Attrage ( G4 ) gets 95 or 100 octane Gas, and gets 43 mpg ( 5,5 l/100km ).

On some days of the Week, the Highway is limited to 100 kmh ( 60 mph ) because of environmental Protection.
    On these days my computer says that my Attrage only nips 4,7 L/100km ( 50 mpg ).