Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    the cvt can be put into N just as easy as a manual so dont get that point?
    I wasn't clear... It's going back into gear while still moving that is the question... some automatics/CVT's do not re-engage very smoothly/smartly when the car is already in motion. It's never a problem with a manual (where smoothness depends on the ability of the driver).

Updated the first post with that point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wasn't clear... It's going back into gear while still moving that is the question... some automatics/CVT's do not re-engage very smoothly/smartly when the car is already in motion. It's never a problem with a manual (where smoothness depends on the ability of the driver).

That is the problem, you can put into neutral when coming to the traffic light but when you re-engage to D they don't usually likes it. I'm a lifetime manual user (20+ years) and I switch gear VERY smoothly if I may say so myself on manual so that is one thing I don't mind, switching gears as I'm used to it. CVT would be nice in asia since almost everyone is holding their phone while making calls instead of using bluetooth carkit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Doesn't the UK version of the Mirage have a taller 5th gear?

5th gear swaps can actually be quite easy, because on many cars that pair of gears lives outside the transmission case, under a simple stamped steel cover that's easy to access/remove.

For example: Peugeot 205 fifth gear swap

BUT you point out the problem: we have to have a replacement gear set to swap in that fits. (Usually from some version of the same car model that comes with a different engine). We don't know about any such options for the Mirage yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, but its really not that much taller. Its only going to drop your rpm by 100-200 at 60mph / 100kmh.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-vs-RPM-chart)
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

ok never happend to me and i driven several automatics and cvt
    also did it when i was test driving the mirage.. no prop

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    maybe one day there will be enough owners that could find a manufacturer and make a group buy of a 5th gear assuming its a fairly easy retro fit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kalifornia For This Useful Post:

MirageMPG (09-28-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    the cvt can be put into N just as easy as a manual so dont get that point?

just put the shift lever into N and its coasting... and if i am not mistaken the CVT already go's in somewhat of a coast when you let go of the gas pedal.. *( read no ICE braking )
    Automatic versions of cars usually still use the gas on N (neutral) rather than coasting on D (Drive) where there is no gas consumption.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Automatic versions of cars usually still use the gas on N (neutral) rather than coasting on D (Drive) where there is no gas consumption.
    a automatic in D does not coast it will slow down on the ICE. ( depends on model ofcourse )

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And there is no on N coasting iether. As a current CVT driver I would personally recomend you to stay on D when you moving.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Now having a look at this tread http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-vs-RPM-chart)

The USA spec manual has a 5th gear ratio of 0.804 and a final drive ratio of 4.055

And the UK spec manual 5th gear ratio is 0.850 and a final drive ratio of 3.550

So why not see if you can order in a new mirage manual fitted with the USA spec gearbox fitted with the UK spec final drive. Or order in a UK spec final drive gear ratio set and swap it in.

I have not worked out the rpm drop at 100klm/h (62 mph) though should reduce rpms around 12.5%

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-01-2013)