Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

12.5% would be worth doing.

I'm hoping Mitsu can be convinced to offer us that "special order" gearing/final drive combination from their existing parts bins.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageMPG (10-01-2013)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Exactly what I was talking about! It's a pretty good difference. Wonder if they can be ordered in North America?

I foresee a trading network developing in a few years... Euro owners who want more acceleration trading with other owners who want lower cruising RPM.

---

I've updated the first post with a bit of math: based on the car's EPA ratings, how long would it take to pay for the ~$1000 CVT option with the fuel savings in both mixed and 100% highway driving...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And the CVT is more expensive in its maintenance service. Maybe the CVT is worth its money for someone to avoid stressful driving around the city.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Well that is the origin on the automatic transmission. Its never been (until lately) the more efficient choice. Its always been for those who don't want to shift a manual trans.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    And the CVT is more expensive in its maintenance service. Maybe the CVT is worth its money for someone to avoid stressful driving around the city.
    wy more maintenance? you have no clutch? maybe you need to replace ( and other have lifetime transmission oil ) the oil?
    CVT i thkn are the most less maintenance transmission you can get ..

TS : what about a city driving only ( where the cvt would be the best ) comparason in payback

also the 1000 exstra you get more then just the cvt right? you get a package with more then just the cvt or not?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    wy more maintenance? you have no clutch? maybe you need to replace ( and other have lifetime transmission oil ) the oil?
    CVT i thkn are the most less maintenance transmission you can get ..

TS : what about a city driving only ( where the cvt would be the best ) comparason in payback

also the 1000 exstra you get more then just the cvt right? you get a package with more then just the cvt or not?
    For extra $1000 you'll get only CVT and one less pedal on model DE or ES in USA.

For the longevity life of CVT, it's better to flush transmission fluid every 60,000 km. And it costs a little more than to maintain the manual or automatic transmission.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    one less pedal... yes ofcourse that wy its a automatic :P

my current got lifetime fluid and will never be replaced so see no reason wy you need to do this 60.000km on the CVT.
    wy would it cost more to maintain then a manual?
    you dont need to replace the clutch with the cvt?

do i need to replace the cvt belt in 100.000 km? that would account for higher cost.
    i would say the cvt got less moving parts and less maintainse

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The lifetime fluid is the only a trick of many automakers. Yes, you can run on that transmission 100,000 km and see whether you're lucky or not, and hope it doesn't break after a while.

The CVT fluid works not only as lubricate, but helps to cool the transmission to keep in a very narrow range of work temperature from 70 to 90 degrees Celsius.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    ok but what about the other maintancen higher then manual or normal automatic?
    i dont see any beside that oil