Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

>>> Short answer? It depends...

Despite the CVT's better rating, it's not necessarily the most efficient.

Long answer? Read on...

---

Until we can convince Mitsu that they need to offer us a MUCH taller, "ECO 5th gear" option in the manual transmission (thereby guaranteeing the car's cult status among economy car enthusiasts)...

There is the question of which transmission will deliver the best real-world results when fuel economy is the driver's goal.

We know the 1.2L with CVT is rated better in both city and highway driving than the 5-speed manual. The US EPA (currently the most realistic rating system) says:

Mirage 1.2L fuel economy
    City / Highway / Combined
    CVT: 37 / 44 / 40 mpg (US)
    5-speed manual: 34 / 42 / 37 mpg (US)

Which one you should choose is not a given, despite the higher ratings of the CVT. The manual can outperform it in the hands of a skilled, motivated driver in the right environment.

So, to decide, find yourself in this list of scenarios ...

>>> If you're a "typical" driver (turn key, turn on tunes, go go go)

The CVT is the one to get for best fuel economy, regardless of where you do most of your driving.

Just try to keep engine RPM as low as you reasonably can (by not flooring the go pedal), avoid rushing into situations where you must brake, and you'll get decent results. (Thread: Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video) .. )

>>> If the majority of your driving is on the highway

Under most cruising conditions on the open road/highway, the CVT's taller gearing keeps the engine spinning at significanly lower RPM than the manual, where it burns less fuel. [ See thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart) ]

Yes, there is a chance that the 5-speed could beat the CVT at highway speeds using a specific, advanced driving technique called "pulse & glide" or "burn & coast". But the technique is tedious when used repetitively, it's inappropriate to do in traffic, it's potentially dangerous for inexperienced drivers, it's illegal in some jurisdictions, and it's arguably harder on the car (mechanically) than simply cruising along at a steady speed.

So the CVT is the highway winner. (For now.... UNTIL we can convince Mitsu to offer us a proper ECO 5th gear!)

>>> If the majority of your driving is sub/urban

I would bet the manual can outperform the CVT in the hands of a competent and motivated eco-driver in sub/urban driving. (Where speeds vary, and the highest constant speed is no higher than about ~75-80 km/h / ~46-50 mph).

---

UPDATE, Oct. 28 -- I've had the chance to drive both transmissions and compare mileage on the same route. As suspected, the 5-speed beat the CVT. See: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

My results:

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2 L Observed fuel economy
    5-speed manual 48 mpg US
    (4.9 L/100 km = 20.4 km/L = 58 mpg UK)
    CVT automatic * 42 mpg (US)
    (5.6 L/100 km = 17.9 km/L = 50 mpg UK)

See comparison test for more information.

---

The manual gives the driver much more control over RPM vs. engine load (a loaded, low RPM engine generally produces power most efficiently).

Also, the ability to use neutral for coasting up to transitions (stops & turns) is easier done with a manual. Sure, the CVT can be shifted to N just as easily, but going back into gear smoothly while the car is still in motion is something the manual was specifically designed for. The CVT, possibly not, so frequently shifting in and out of gear may not be good for it (or smooth).

Using advanced techniques will futher boost city economy: eg. shutting off the engine while stopped/slowing is a big one. Only Europe & Japan get the factory "auto stop and go" feature for now. Without it, we have to do this manually. And restarting the engine and moving away smartly (ie. not holding up other drivers) is much more easily done with the manual because the engine can be re-started while the proper gear is already selected, then ease out the clutch and go. (Where the CVT must be started in N or P, then shifted to the proper gear to wait for it to engage before accelerating.)

So, IF you're motivated and skilled (or willing to learn / develop your eco-driving skills), I'd pick the manual for sub/urban duty.

>>> The CVT's payback period / "return on investment" ...

The CVT in the costs $1000 extra in the U.S. ($1200 in Canada currently). Going strictly by the U.S. mark-up and EPA ratings, and with fuel cost at $USD 3.61 per US gallon ...

If you drive exclusively on the highway (15k miles/yr.)...

CVT @ 44 mpg 5-speed Manual @ 42 mpg
    Annual fuel cost $1231 $1289
    Annual difference -$58 +$58

Going strictly by the rating, it would take about 17 years for the CVT (at $1000 extra) to pay for itself in highway driving.

In mixed driving 45% city/55% highway (15k miles/yr. )...

CVT @ 40 mpg 5-speed Manual @ 37 mpg
    Annual fuel cost $1354 $1464
    Annual difference -$110 +$110

And in mixed use, it would take about 9 years for the CVT (at $1000 extra) to pay for itself in combined driving.

In 100% urban driving (15k miles/yr. )...

CVT @ 37 mpg 5-speed Manual @ 34 mpg
    Annual fuel cost $1464 $1593
    Annual difference -$129 +$129

And in mixed use, it would take about 7.8 years for the CVT (at $1000 extra) to pay for itself in combined driving.

Of course, if you drive more, or if the price of fuel increases (a pretty good bet), the payback period will be shorter. Play with the numbers here:

Calculator: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (09-07-2015),Daox (09-26-2013),fc321 (07-15-2017),fifteenwindow (10-08-2013),mousee (08-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very nice post Darin. This should really help out people trying to decide when they purchase their Mirage.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nah, CVT wins in every way. The problem is that the difference in price can get you enough fuel to drive for up to 2 years with the manual .... so ... the decision is yours to make.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Ha! I know how you drive a manual, m4v3r1ck! Definitely not "eco".

I'm quite confident the 5-speed will beat the CVT in town, but only in the hands of a MOTIVATED & CAPABLE ECO-DRIVER.

Otherwise -- in the hands of a typical driver -- yes, the CVT will use less fuel.

We shall see!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    the cvt can be put into N just as easy as a manual so dont get that point?

just put the shift lever into N and its coasting... and if i am not mistaken the CVT already go's in somewhat of a coast when you let go of the gas pedal.. *( read no ICE braking )

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    @metro
    Haha is it that obvious ;-) am an old style driver and love speed more than going "ECO". Most of the times I drive economically with cruise control turned on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    the way i drive i dont call it eco.. i call it normal
    where other poeple just drive like crazy :P

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post MetroMPG... Funny, I had the same question in my mind yesterday as well. Great answer! You rock!

Do you think it would be possible to swap the 5th gear with something taller? Surely something can be found that will fit?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    swap the 5e gear?
    dont think dissembling the gearbox would be a option..

5th gear swaps can actually be quite easy, because on many cars that pair of gears lives outside the transmission case, under a simple stamped steel cover that's easy to access/remove.

For example: Peugeot 205 fifth gear swap

BUT you point out the problem: we have to have a replacement gear set to swap in that fits. (Usually from some version of the same car model that comes with a different engine). We don't know about any such options for the Mirage yet.