Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPMS won't go off

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    My TPMS light has been on for a couple of days. This whole week, it would turn on in the mornings, but after about a 45-minute drive, it would go off. I finally got around to filling up my tires, but now the light won't go off at all. I don't believe I have any punctures like the manual suggested may be the issue, and the light doesn't blink to indicate a malfunction. Should I get new tires? They are the originals with almost 30 thousand miles on them. They still have sufficient tread, but are a little dry on the sides.
    Using a good tire gauge, I would put 40 psi in all four tires. The TPMS light should go out quite soon after driving down the road a bit.

If the TPMS light doesn't go out & your tires haven't lost any air in the meantime, you have a sensor issue. If your Mirage is still under the 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, the dealership should fix this issue for you. You may have a bad sensor? I wouldn't let a bad sensor dictate getting new tires.

If you have plenty of air in your tires & all four sensors are working properly, the TPMS dash light goes out quick once the problem is resolved. The opposite doesn't exactly work that way. If I add tires without sensors on my Mirage, it takes 4-5 miles of driving before the TPMS light stays on the first time. After that, it's on until the problem is resolved. If I put tires back on with working sensors, it doesn't take long for the system to recognize the issue has been resolved & TPMS light is off.

I wouldn't base a decision to buy new tires on a TPMS light being on. If you have a slow leak (nail/screw stuck in a tire), you could have a plug put in them. If your tires are near the end of their life, you could surely replace them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-02-2019)

Every single Nissans van we have has had the damn tpms light come on this week. It gets cold, pressure drops slightly. Stupid cold

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It gets cold, pressure drops slightly.
    Exactly. More people are going to see their TPMS light turning on here shortly as soon as we get the first blast of cool Fall temps rolling in...which hasn't happened just yet in most parts of the US.

Since I can see my tire pressure feedback constantly from all 4 tires, I can tell you I've seen a 4-5 PSI change in my tires in 1 day during the last couple of weeks as the air temps vary from the 40s to the 90s in a single day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-02-2019)

Got a bit of snow last weekend. They got almost a foot further south from where I was! Attachment 15597Attachment 15598

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Exactly. More people are going to see their TPMS light turning on here shortly as soon as we get the first blast of cool Fall temps rolling in...which hasn't happened just yet in most parts of the US.

Since I can see my tire pressure feedback constantly from all 4 tires, I can tell you I've seen a 4-5 PSI change in my tires in 1 day during the last couple of weeks as the air temps vary from the 40s to the 90s in a single day.
    Nice. I had to translate the units to find out that that exactly follows the Boyle-Gay-Lussac law, (P*V)/T = c.

On a recommended pressure of 2.8 bar (41 PSI), 4-5 PSI change is 10-12%. The 40s to the 90s in Fahrenheit equals 278 to 305 Kelvin, which is also 10%.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tire pressure goes down 1 PSi per 10 Degree's F. Of course in Minnesota right now we are down in the single and below 0 F range. Local News in MN reminds people to check tire pressure Now but as i heard the other day alot of people didn't listen and had to have their tires remounted if not replaced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewin777 View Post
    Tire pressure goes down 1 PSi per 10 Degree's F. Of course in Minnesota right now we are down in the single and below 0 F range. Local News in MN reminds people to check tire pressure Now but as i heard the other day alot of people didn't listen and had to have their tires remounted if not replaced.

Although I am not a big fan of TPMS, the dash light going off during cold weather is good reminder that you should check all your tires & add air accordingly.

If you don't have a working TPMS, it's surely a good time to check those tires when it gets cold.

Pretty simple concept actually!