Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doh.

What happens when the code pops up? Can you tell a difference in the how it drives?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Doh.

What happens when the code pops up? Can you tell a difference in the how it drives?
    Here's the more complete thread, post #11 gives a breakdown of my issues. No change after the code was finally thrown.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...0250#post80250

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

I have a 2017 Mirage with 392k kms(243k miles) in the shop right now. Driver was 30 mins out of town and complaining about it reving up and down while trying to keep a steady speed around 70mph. It's impossible to tell if it is a problem or not without seeing it happen, so they limped it in. Fluid looks alright. It's probably fine?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have a 2017 Mirage with 392k kms(243k miles) in the shop right now. Driver was 30 mins out of town and complaining about it reving up and down while trying to keep a steady speed around 70mph. It's impossible to tell if it is a problem or not without seeing it happen, so they limped it in. Fluid looks alright. It's probably fine?

Seems like it's in the sweet spot/mileage for CVT issues. Is the fluid always dark when that thrust washer let's go? What else could make it act like that? Throttle position sensor/wire?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    have you tried opening it? because theres a guy whos arguing with me on fb that CVT can be rebuild and sent me link that sells repair kits for CVT when i open the link i see they sell clutch lining kits, so im wondering whats really the culprit parts if cvt fails, i also have this friend of mine whose so good with ECU's saying that he manage to save one CVT by replacing a bad oil pump came from donor cvt so i wonder how would you know which one to replace, because Mitsubishi ASA or their version of parts catalog there is no data on the internals of the CVT so technically they dont sell internal parts for the CVT and also their manuals doesnt have a overhauling procedure for CVT unlike AT, the only parts for the CVT mitsu is selling is the valve body and torque converter, but with the advancement of technology and aftermarket parts i think this dude does have a point.

This one car has been used mainly on highway runs for the last couple years. Actually does the same run that the car in the first post used to do. It gets more miles than most in the fleet.

Yeah, Black fluid is usually a bad sign. Most but not all thrust bearing failures have had black fluid seen from the dipstick. This stuff looked decent enough. Not clear but not black either.

All I got done yesterday was drop the oil plug. It always looks darker that way. I'll pull the pan off shortly and post what I find.

My own car had some weird surging going on a handful of times before I swapped out the transmission(and engine). I could usually get it stop acting up by either giving it more or less throttle. It was like it was hunting for the right ratio. I only assume that was what this one was doing.

IIRC most of the failures I've seen have been the thrust washer on the input shaft. They sell new ones that come with a new bushing and housing. Usually when that bearing fails the engine wants to stall while in drive, it's like the the bearing seizes up and locks the torque converter to the input shaft or the torque converter is piling up? Once that bearing is toast it sends metal through everything, including the valve body. You might be able to scab one together? I've never tried. I have had a lot of these apart, I tore one down with a hole in the case and put it back together and it's been working fine for a year or two now. But the case started leaking again....
    Some will argue that you can't rebuild a cvt and need special tools to re-assemble one? Maybe. If the bearing is toast in this one I'll keep it aside if it's not too contaminated and try to source a bearing and housing.
    I assume you could find out if the pump itself is worn out by monitoring fluid pressures with a scan tool. I've never bothered once I found bearing inside.
    I've also always had a spare cvt laying around to install. I just stripped a car last week and have a few more in the boneyard to part out so trying to rebuild one has never been a thought.

Mitsubishi may not sell individual parts for these cvt's but there are aftermarket parts available. There are some subtle changes to watch for, like the thrust bearing (input) housing has 2 different spline counts available with this model of transmission. At least I think that's a thing.

I can't do facebook. I post quading/camping pics on there to share with friends and family maybe once a year. Otherwise it's just a place full of stupid people posting stupid things. I'm guilty of oversharing on this forum but I think facetards are far worse. IDGAF what someone ate for supper, I'd like to see a picture of it after digestion just as much as before.

Now get off my lawn!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You don't overshare in my opinion. You have not only a very readable style but generally have something of value to say. Many of us only have one car to fiddle where you have several to keep running for profit. Big difference.
    Karl

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-30-2022)

It looked alright inside the pan, filter and inside the valve body. Just the regular tiny black specs that I assume are just some clutch material?
    I completely forgot to check for any cvt trouble codes until now. There weren't any.

The engine light has been on for a while now cause it keeps throwing a warm up cat efficiency code P0421. I assume the cat is junk. I may replace it to make the light stay out. I'd hate for a cvt code to pop up on the way out of town and they assume it's just another cat code that I've been telling them to ignore for the last 6 months. And it's not a good look to have cars running around with the cel on. That's what Sonics are for.

When re-installing the valve body don't forget to plug it back in and install the shifter rod lever and pick up filter before re-installing oil pan.....I've done one or more of those things in the past and almost forgot to do one step this time. All bolts were torqued to the random specs with a ratchet. It's probably fine. Don't go crazy on the oil pan bolts, they break easily.

I feel like I've written all this in a thread once already. Maybe it'll help me when I lose my memory or someone else that wants to tear into these turds.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This one car has been used mainly on highway runs for the last couple years. Actually does the same run that the car in the first post used to do. It gets more miles than most in the fleet.

Yeah, Black fluid is usually a bad sign. Most but not all thrust bearing failures have had black fluid seen from the dipstick. This stuff looked decent enough. Not clear but not black either.

All I got done yesterday was drop the oil plug. It always looks darker that way. I'll pull the pan off shortly and post what I find.

My own car had some weird surging going on a handful of times before I swapped out the transmission(and engine). I could usually get it stop acting up by either giving it more or less throttle. It was like it was hunting for the right ratio. I only assume that was what this one was doing.

IIRC most of the failures I've seen have been the thrust washer on the input shaft. They sell new ones that come with a new bushing and housing. Usually when that bearing fails the engine wants to stall while in drive, it's like the the bearing seizes up and locks the torque converter to the input shaft or the torque converter is piling up? Once that bearing is toast it sends metal through everything, including the valve body. You might be able to scab one together? I've never tried. I have had a lot of these apart, I tore one down with a hole in the case and put it back together and it's been working fine for a year or two now. But the case started leaking again....
    Some will argue that you can't rebuild a cvt and need special tools to re-assemble one? Maybe. If the bearing is toast in this one I'll keep it aside if it's not too contaminated and try to source a bearing and housing.
    I assume you could find out if the pump itself is worn out by monitoring fluid pressures with a scan tool. I've never bothered once I found bearing inside.
    I've also always had a spare cvt laying around to install. I just stripped a car last week and have a few more in the boneyard to part out so trying to rebuild one has never been a thought.

Mitsubishi may not sell individual parts for these cvt's but there are aftermarket parts available. There are some subtle changes to watch for, like the thrust bearing (input) housing has 2 different spline counts available with this model of transmission. At least I think that's a thing.

I can't do facebook. I post quading/camping pics on there to share with friends and family maybe once a year. Otherwise it's just a place full of stupid people posting stupid things. I'm guilty of oversharing on this forum but I think facetards are far worse. IDGAF what someone ate for supper, I'd like to see a picture of it after digestion just as much as before.

Now get off my lawn!
    Fummy, if you quit cracking jokes and stop being yourself, than I'll quit this forum. That's a promise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    And it's not a good look to have cars running around with the cel on. That's what Sonics are for.
    This is why we enjoy reading your threads even if we have nothing related to that issue, going on. That statement is funny, while also being true. I got a good out loud chuckle when I read it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)