Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I got the 2 cartridge filters in, they have a jatco number on the box: 317263XX0A which seems to be a nissan part number. Called the local nissan dealer and they sell it for less than half the price as Mitsubishi $9@nissan vs $20 at Mitsu. But they said there are none available in North America and they had no idea how long it would take to get one in.

Yeah if you look at the parts and what they fit the CVT on the mirage is the same CVT that has been on many nissans

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep the CVT in my 2012 Nissan Versa was a variation of the same CVT in my 2014 Mirage. You'd never know that driving the two cars though. The transmissions have completely different personalities. It's also a much more reliable transmission in the Mirage than the Versa.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And the spark used the same cvt as well I believe. The 14' spark we used to have had the cvt replaced 3 times(If I recall correctly) under warranty. After the 3rd one we got rid of the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently Mitsubishi did something right with their version of this CVT. Other than being lesser refined in operation, I really haven't heard any common reliability complaints.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just had another cvt fail. This time at 223xxxkms. When you put the car in gear it feels like the torque converter is locked up and the car stalls. Like trying to drive away in 5th gear in a manual. I changed both filters about a week ago. I posted the pics of them on another thread. They were black, just like the fluid was but there weren't any pieces of metal in the pan.
    I'll keep you posted what I find with this one.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-27-2018),inuvik (02-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just had another cvt fail. This time at 223xxxkms. When you put the car in gear it feels like the torque converter is locked up and the car stalls. Like trying to drive away in 5th gear in a manual. I changed both filters about a week ago. I posted the pics of them on another thread. They were black, just like the fluid was but there weren't any pieces of metal in the pan.
    I'll keep you posted what I find with this one.

How's things going with the fleet? If I'm following correctly, you've had 2 cvt failures out of almost 40? So around 5% failure rate so far..?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That’s true but the 2 failures were the 2 highest mileage cars. The third higher is around 200000km(iirc)with the remainder between 60-200k Kms I believe. Other than the 2 cvts, I haven’t had anything major fail. Out of all the cars I’ve only had to replace one ign coil, 3-4 front wheel bearing,maybe 3-4 rads,1 starter,one front cat(may have only needed front o2 sensors, replaced both from a wreck at same time), 2 sets of rotors, a dozen bent wheels and hubcaps, tires, frt brake pads, dozens of w5w bulbs in the headlight, about a dozen brake/tail lightbulbs(the brake Filoment fails), about 6 headlight bulbs,lots of wipers(mostly the rh side lately),1 burnt fuse for the cig outlet, had a random problem with the brake and low washer light would stay lit on the cluster, it went away after a few weeks(not sure wth),and regular oil changes, air filters,plugs(@160k),replaces 1 or 2 drivers seats as well due to wear.
    Every car still has original shocks,springs, bushings, ball joints,tie rods, alternators, ac compressors, rad fans, etc...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-31-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,183 Posts
    Radiators were punctured or defective?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Punctured. Small pinhole to the right of the condenser.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never said it was great. But remember this is 10k econo car not a 60k toyota truck. That's kind of a ridiculous comparison. And for never having the transmission filter changed ever 190k isn't too bad. I'm curious if the tundra still has the original filter in the tranny or would it crap out at 200k as well if maintained the same?
    But we are expecting these to be lasting twice that. I'm hoping that if I change the filters once in a while along with all the extra fluid that pours out when the pan is pulled that the cvt should last much longer. Changing 2-3 quarts of fluid once in a while doesn't seem to do prevent failure as I'm pretty sure the case would be for most other transmissions.
    I'll be pulling the pans on a few other car's once I get the filters and gaskets and I'll post what I find.
    I'd say 190K is middle of the road for an economy car transmission. But to me it's a little concerning since my choices were between the Yaris and the Mirage. I'm pretty sure Yaris automatic transmissions get closer to 300K.

Did the CVT give you any warnings that it was going to die or was it all of a sudden?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)