Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    "As long as possible" after that isn't really their concern. In fact, they should want it to blow up in a ball of fire at 110,000 miles so that you'll buy a new one after 8 or 10 trouble-free years!
    Absolutely. They just want you to get to 100,000 miles without bringing it back in for warranty work.

...I opted to drop the pan, change the filter and change as much of the fluid as I could at 50k, and vowed to just pull the drain plug on the pan and change... maybe 2 quarts or whatever comes out... at every other oil change.
    I've done the same thing on past cars with automatics. But my cars never seem to have drain plugs in the transmission pan, so sometimes you have to install your own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If there's no drain plug then a fluid extractor works for drain & fills too, via the dipstick if the transmission still has one. I used a smaller Pela 2000 unit on our 2007 Yaris automatic transmission to do 2-3L extractions and refills of its ATF. 2-3L of new ATF once or twice a year might be enough ?
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    All Mitsubishi cares about is meeting legal requirements (emissions and safety and such) and not having to repair the car under warranty. "As long as possible" after that isn't really their concern. In fact, they should want it to blow up in a ball of fire at 110,000 miles so that you'll buy a new one after 8 or 10 trouble-free years!

But Mitsubishi only makes money in that scenario if people will buy their cars knowing that the transmission (car) will only last 110,000 miles. I think that's why Toyota and Honda sell so many cars. They last a long time. Not that Mitsubishi is all that bad in long lastingness. I'd say in general they're above average.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did any filter/gasket options ever surface in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That's sounds like exactly what mine is doing. It's almost like bouncing a ball. If you accelerate just right it makes the bouncing more obvious. I think my description of the problem was a little misleading when I said it occurred while accelerating, it's not like I had to floor it to make the problem happen. Just a slight acceleration is what usually causes it, or going up a hill. But the term "bounce" really hits the nail on the head. That's what I was trying to describe.
    I am having this problem in a BIG way.

What did you do to fix it??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I am having this problem in a BIG way.

What did you do to fix it??
    I don't think you're going to like the answer....from what I've read its typically a new/used cvt. PLEASE keep posting on this. The majority of the Mirage s out there are cvt, and I'm really interested how many end up with cvt issues and at what mileage. Are you still under warranty mileage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Are you still under warranty mileage?
    Ha!

From what I can tell on this forum, I'm the highest mileage CVT still running on the original tranny. 276,000kms or 172,500 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd say you should probably find a used cvt. Car-part shows a bunch locally with under 20k kms. I know 17's will fit a 15' but not sure about a 14'? I assume they'd fit but might want to do some research on that.
    It will fit physically but not electronically? 17s and above have D, Ds, and L while 14 and 15 have only D and B? Right?
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd say you should probably find a used cvt.
    Don't suppose you're one of those Mech's that 'will work for beer'? Haha.

How hard is it to change a cvt? Any special tools, etc?

The Mirage is my daily, but I have a backup vehicle, so I don't need to stress about getting it done in one day.

Meanwhile, I ordered some of the external filters from Japan (Nissan part number).

I could almost see my issue being a clogged filter leading to fluid starvation in a high-demand situation?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update: My car finally threw code "P0715"