Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base Mirage - First test drive . . .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Base Mirage - First test drive . . .

I took one out today for a test drive. Nothing noteworthy to report that hasn't already been said about the ride and handling. Overall it was quite nice, and behaved much like other cars I have driven, though without the excess of power. The turning circle was noticeable, which I appreciated.

For price, my dealer was offering a $500 gas card until the end of the month. They offered a payment of $152 b/w for 60 months at 3.9%, which does not make sense (base model). Of course the sales team wanted to close the deal but I am going to wait a bit before deciding. The result of the test drive is that I did not fall in love with the vehicle so that I MUST HAVE IT NOW, nor did I find any fault with the way it drove or handled which would make me not want one. Maybe in spring!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-27-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Lovely!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I took one out today for a test drive. Nothing noteworthy to report that hasn't already been said about the ride and handling. Overall it was quite nice, and behaved much like other cars I have driven, though without the excess of power. The turning circle was noticeable, which I appreciated.

For price, my dealer was offering a $500 gas card until the end of the month. They offered a payment of $152 b/w for 60 months at 3.9%, which does not make sense (base model). Of course the sales team wanted to close the deal but I am going to wait a bit before deciding. The result of the test drive is that I did not fall in love with the vehicle so that I MUST HAVE IT NOW, nor did I find any fault with the way it drove or handled which would make me not want one. Maybe in spring!
    You wanna give up the 500 dollar gift card?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    You wanna give up the 500 dollar gift card?
    The $500 gift card sounds good, to be sure. I suspect, though, that cars are always "on sale" and there is always some sort of rebate, "employee family price", low interest rate, free accessories, gift, or other incentive. I can flog my 10 year old car through another winter.

I'm also not sure what the payment they offered was about. By my math, it is $19 760 (less the $500 gas card). If I was serious about buying I would follow up on that, but it seems way too high relative to the base price of $12 500 ($13 948 with freight).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the quick review.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the report, canoehead!

I'm sure that bi-weekly price includes all the extras: delivery, taxes, various dealer/gov't fees, etc.

Oh, and 3.9% interest on a 60 month loan isn't insignificant: the cost of borrowing $14500 for 60 months at 3.9% is $1787.84.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/loanpay...e.form?lang=en

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    rates north of the boarder seem high. The average car I sell is around 2.25%

Yup, they are higher up here by a point or 2.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I went on http://www.unhaggle.com to find out the dealer cost of the car. They are not making a huge profit margin on them. For the base ES it's like $500 - $600 and the SE it's perhaps $800 of profit. I was told by my Mitsubishi dealer that the new deals will appear next Tuesday and most likely within the next few months a lower interest rate will be offered.

I would wait. Like I am doing. I would like to buy, but not right now. Not at 3.9% interest. For the price you mentioned, I can get a Honda Civic LX 2014, which is a MUCH nicer car. Not as frugal though.

Lots of dealerships are offering 0.9% and even 0% interest for 84 months. Mitsubishi should follow suit if they want their new car to become a big hit, especially with the lack of advertising.

I read an article (can't find it now) that said Mitsu is increasing their marketing budget dramatically in North America this year. For the Mirage, they're probably waiting until just after the U.S. reviews are published/posted (get the most of the "free" advertising).