Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine clatter on startup

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My migh mileage '14 does it, but only at times. It's not dependent on weather either, it can be clattering and noisy on a nice, 50+ F morning or it can be dead silent on a 32 F morning.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always suspect the valve train making the startup racket but not the tappets, since they aren't hydraulic. Maybe the noise comes from the MIVEC cam timing unit. Since it is hydraulic and appears to have some volume to it may take a couple seconds to fill completely on startup?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hmmmm, I have the same symptoms as Wallythacker, my '15 seems to do the startup noise more randomly. Often, it's during warmer weather, especially if the car has ben driven within a few hours of restarting. Not so much if it's sat for eight hours or more, though. Did it today and startled a coworker who thought I was low on oil! But only rattles for a few seconds, today it was maybe two seconds at most.