Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine cooler drain plug

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Thank you very very much, I've just been able to order a socket set because of you. It's an aluminium washer I'm pretty sure, I had a back and forth with the parts guy at my states head Mitsubishi and I mainly guessed what the part number was from a schematic he provided me. My guess is MF660034 but I'm not 100% sure on it. When I asked for 01399Q I was provided with MF660034 so, we will see.
    Where's Mohammad? This could be his next You Tube clip offered - Changing your coolant in a Mitsubishi Mirage.

If I was doing this job myself, I would rather drain the engine block & heater core properly. Flushing the system with distilled water would still leave an unknown quantity of water in the engine block. Since most coolants come already mixed with water, I would rather drain the radiator, radiator reservoir, engine block, & heater core before adding the new coolant.

If someone is doing their own coolant changes at the recommended intervals, I think the procedure shared down below is more beneficial than flushing the system with distilled water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdKMIe2Dw0

Mohammad or someone showing this done on a Mirage would be nice some day.

If the cooling system has been neglected, flushing with distilled water & coolant flushing solution may be the better approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8YZF5cW7-A

If I did this second method, I don't think I would skip draining the engine block. There's no way of having an exact mix of coolant if you skip that step.

I only share all this, because some on this thread have said, they would skip draining their engine block. In my opinion, draining the engine block coolant is easier than the flushing system.

If someone suspects they are having cooling issues, I would do both (flush the system & drain the engine block before adding new coolant).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Where's Mohammad? This could be his next You Tube clip offered - Changing your coolant in a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Im considering this, I myself have a few questions about the procedure before i can make a video about it.

1. im unsure how to remove the coolant reservoir/overflow tank to drain it
    2. if i want to change the thermostat im unsure about what gaskets need to be changed
    3. im unsure about what the torque specs are on the drain plug and the thermostat housing.
    4. im unsure if this forum has ever agreed on the ideal coolant flush cleaning additive stuff to use in the car.

On a side note id like to mention that the radiator hoses are much lower than the heater core, i think draining the radiator would also drain the heater core

Edit, ignore point 3 i found the torque specs in the FSM
    Last edited by mohammad; 01-14-2022 at 04:53 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It doesn't look too hard to get to. But I'm not doing it. The plug is right above the oil drain plug next to the catalytic converter. Attachment 10012
    I wish i could see this attachment....
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I wish i could see this attachment....
    Did you notice post #2 in the thread? It has a pic of the engine coolant drain plug location.

The first clip I attached today mentioned the importance of turning your heating system on full blast before draining it all, too. That apparently helps empty the heater core. There are those who know about that than me.

I really like the short first clip I attached, but it would be nice to see it done on a Mirage instead of a Honda.

Im considering this, I myself have a few questions about the procedure before i can make a video about it.

1. im unsure how to remove the coolant reservoir/overflow tank to drain it
    2. if i want to change the thermostat im unsure about what gaskets need to be changed
    3. im unsure about what the torque specs are on the drain plug and the thermostat housing.
    4. im unsure if this forum has ever agreed on the ideal coolant flush cleaning additive stuff to use in the car.

On a side note id like to mention that the radiator hoses are much lower than the heater core, i think draining the radiator would also drain the heater core

Edit, ignore point 3 i found the torque specs in the FSM
    The coolant reservoir just lifts straight up. Wiggle it side to side a little as you lift. It makes it easier to check coolant level this way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The first clip I attached today mentioned the importance of turning your heating system on full blast before draining it all, too. That apparently helps empty the heater core. There are those who know about that than me.
    This is untrue for our car, our. Car does mot regulate coolant flow to the heater core.

See here for more info https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Heater

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is untrue for our car, our. Car does mot regulate coolant flow to the heater core.

See here for more info https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Heater
    I would not make the assumption that everything shared in that thread is correct. There is absolutely no harm in doing this procedure regardless of the system.

quote -
    "Coolant is always contained in the heater core, but only runs through it when the heater valves are opened and the engine is running."

The only goal is to have the coolant empty. If the quote is not true, you aren't hurting anything by trying this anyways.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Many cars do regulate or bypass the heater core coolant with valves and electronics (which is superior) but from what I've seen/felt and read over time our cars circulates all the time and the only regulation occurs with the flap that allows air to pass over the heater core element. This is actually the cause of me wanting to replace the coolant so that I can mess around with the plumbing while having extra coolant of the same type I can top up with after.

I would not make the assumption that everything shared in that thread is correct. There is absolutely no harm in doing this procedure regardless of the system.

quote -
    "Coolant is always contained in the heater core, but only runs through it when the heater valves are opened and the engine is running."

The only goal is to have the coolant empty. If the quote is not true, you aren't hurting anything by trying this anyways.
    There’s no valve to the heater core. I didn’t read the thread Mohammad quoted and agree many threads should not be taken as gospel but he’s right this time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There’s no valve to the heater core. I didn’t read the thread Mohammad quoted and agree many threads should not be taken as gospel but he’s right this time.
    I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. Whether it has a valve or not seems irrelevant to me for this procedure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-15-2022)