Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rattling under the car at low speed

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    can some one post a pic so i can check mine

i have a rattling as you accelerate noise sometimes

Look under the car on the rh rear side. The exhaust hanger right below the rear seat. Or just follow the exhaust from the tailpipe forward to the second rubber mount. Just ahead of the wheel.

The rubber gets ovaled out on the top part. The mounts have a heavy metal damper encased in them, probably to try to suppress vibration? I'll try to post pics from my dumb phone to compare one from a wreck to one off a 17' with only 70k kms that I replaced this morning.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (05-23-2019)

Attachment 14611 The one on top is worn^ Attachment 14612 The one on the right is worn^ It would make an annoying noise under light acceleration. Ichabodcrane? Was the one who figured out the fix I believe.

If you grab the rubber and feel any slop or if it moves on the metal hanger then it's probably worn out. They wear out on the body side first it seems. One fix it to wrap tape or something around the hanger to take up the slop.

I forgot to mention, I haven't heard this noise on the 15's. Only on the 17's that have the exhaust manifold integral with the front cat. 18's are the same way and I assume the 19's may be the same as well.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-23-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (05-23-2019),Eggman (05-22-2019),inuvik (05-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't heard that one yet. Lately only heard a few 17's are making noise under light acceleration, my go to fix is put heat shrink on the 2 rearmost exhaust hanger tabs on the body.
    that doesn't even make sense... your "go to fix" is to put heat shrink on exhaust hangers in order to cure the sound of the brake lines vibrating?

maybe you've been breathing a little too much exhaust

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raoulbtc View Post
    that doesn't even make sense... your "go to fix" is to put heat shrink on exhaust hangers in order to cure the sound of the brake lines vibrating?

I'm pretty sure he's suggesting the exhaust hangers are the source of his rattling, not brake lines. At least that's what I got reading through his posts.

However, I can't vouch for the exhaust breathing part.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Look under the car on the rh rear side. The exhaust hanger right below the rear seat. Or just follow the exhaust from the tailpipe forward to the second rubber mount. Just ahead of the wheel.

The rubber gets ovaled out on the top part. The mounts have a heavy metal damper encased in them, probably to try to suppress vibration?

Interesting pix! My 1.0L MT has no such hangers, only "standard" sort without weights, but nothing rattles on it.

Rubber exhaust hanger on 1.0L MT:

Name:  hanger.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  57.4 KB
    Last edited by foama; 05-29-2019 at 08:59 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-31-2019),Fummins (05-29-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    When breathing exhaust makes you saying/writing strange things, you should check the catalyst. There might be too much carbon monoxide in the exhaust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-29-2019)

I'm still trying to figure out how some goof thinks he can diagnose a car he's never even seen. Someone might have to do a bit of reading on this forum.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-29-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Mirage videos:

I don't think you understand. I fixed the problem. It's a pretty common 17'+. It had nothing to do with the brake lines on any car I've seen so far.

I don't doubt you might have seen rattling brake lines. I'm proud of you for finding that all on your own. Now for the second time, what year of mirage did you see that on and what mileage? No need to get into a pissing contest or be a retard.
    Mirage videos:

I just had another complaint about a noise. It's another 17' but with 160k kms. I looked at brake lines but then just fixed the problem. The 2 rearmost rubber exhaust hangers were worn.
    Attachment 14662

Mirage videos:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-30-2019)