Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rattling under the car at low speed

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just "fixed" one last week. Pull the air cleaner, seperate the tubes, wrap a layer of duct tape around the tubes and put it back together.
    Did the same too. The oval piece from the actual snorkel has what looks like a small in-between-piece on it, immediately before it enters the airfilter assy, and that connection is also loose in itself. I permanently cured that with a small amount of high-temp silicone sealant, that stuff being left over from another job on a different car.

Photo added:

Name:  Foto0467.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  91.7 KB

Last edited by foama; 11-15-2018 at 07:47 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-11-2020),Daox (11-15-2018),inuvik (11-13-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the answer. I will look for a silicone sealant to put inside the oval thing and glue it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    Will have a look under the car again today and shake and knock everything and let everyone know if i find anything
    Just checking: did you ever find the rattle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have this rattle/buzz noise!

I determined that it wasn't the exhaust... by replacing the ENTIRE exhaust system. From the header all the way back. Didn't change that sound.

I always thought it was the clutch, and that's the biggest reason that I looked so hard at the clutch disk when I removed it. (and those clutch springs ARE loose and rattly, and it could be a noise that we hear)

I've had the serpentine belt off and retightened twice. Once when I replaced the crank pulley... and once when we replaced the engine. No change in the noise. Unless I'm just habitually not tightening that belt enough, that's probably not it. But, I'll give it a look.

But, the intake tubing. YES! That stuff is all kinds of loose and wobbly. I can see that being an issue. I'll look at that, too!

Thanks for some ideas! I don't know why I never noticed this thread before.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I have this rattle/buzz noise!

I determined that it wasn't the exhaust... by replacing the ENTIRE exhaust system. From the header all the way back. Didn't change that sound.

I always thought it was the clutch, and that's the biggest reason that I looked so hard at the clutch disk when I removed it. (and those clutch springs ARE loose and rattly, and it could be a noise that we hear)

I've had the serpentine belt off and retightened twice. Once when I replaced the crank pulley... and once when we replaced the engine. No change in the noise. Unless I'm just habitually not tightening that belt enough, that's probably not it. But, I'll give it a look.

But, the intake tubing. YES! That stuff is all kinds of loose and wobbly. I can see that being an issue. I'll look at that, too!

Thanks for some ideas! I don't know why I never noticed this thread before.
    Yes, check if that is the source of the noise for you as well. I will be trying to fix the gap in the intake this weekend and will try and take some pictures to show you guys.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Just checking: did you ever find the rattle?
    No i did not find the rattle

i no longer have that car written off

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...hed-The-Mirage

Got a new mirage now

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...5536#post75536
    Last edited by Adam - UK; 11-15-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

SOLVED: rattling under car while accellerating

Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    Does anyone have a Rattling from under the car at low speed sounds like exhaust rattling or heat shield rattling

i have had a look under the car but cannot see where it"s coming from
    I have solved the rattling problem, it is the brake lines directly under the driver seat. They are running through a metal bracket and as torque is applied to the drivetrain, the lines rattle inside the bracket.
    The way I was able to remedy the rattling was to simply put a ziptie around the 2 brake lines, drawing them tightly against the bracket, eliminating any rattling.

You're welcome in advance.

I haven't heard that one yet. Lately only heard a few 17's are making noise under light acceleration, my go to fix is put heat shrink on the 2 rearmost exhaust hanger tabs on the body.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    do not put any sealant or gasketing between the joints of the intake tubing, as it is meant to fit relatively loosely... the rattle you are experiencing is not related to the intake tubing but is most likely the brake lines underneath the car rattling as you accellerate

lol ok. Guess I got a lot of work to do. Thanks for the suggestion but I've never heard that one yet. Brake lines shouldn't rattle if they're properly mounted.
    What year is yours and how many miles? I assume it must be pretty low if you still have a tight air intake that isn't flopping around.

Last edited by Fummins; 05-21-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)