Thread: U.S: 2014 Mirage review - Dirt cheap, great on gas and nothing more (Autoguide.com)

U.S: 2014 Mirage review - Dirt cheap, great on gas and nothing more (Autoguide.com)

This is one of the most amusing reviews I've read of the Mirage since the one from Oversteer in New Zealand.

The writer certainy does not get anywhere near loving the Mirage for a number of reasons, but in meeting the primary goals to be inexpensive to buy and to drive (great fuel economy), it earns his grudging respect...

Worth a read for a chuckle... (even though it appears to be a much more polished version of a similar article he also submitted to About.com.)

- well organized dash
    - doors shut with a reassuring "thunk"
    - decent rear room
    - 2-speed addition to CVT
    - engine sound is pleasing, but too loud
    - "outstanding" real world fuel economy
    - value pricing: "dirt freaking cheap"

Dislikes:

- plain styling
    - uncomfortable seating
    - slow highway speed acceleration
    - noisy on the highway
    - steering/handling "engineered for the mean streets of Thailand"

Overall:

From the moment we first laid eyes on the Mirage, we were pessimistic. [...]And yet point-by-point, the Mirage makes a passable attempt to address all of our concerns. [...]

Though it is slow, noisy and miserable to drive, the Mitsubishi Mirage delivers exactly what it promises: Dirt-cheap motoring with decent amenities, new-car reliability and a long warranty.
    Read the full review... (do it! it's a laugh): http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-3502.html

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (09-29-2013)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Once coaxed up to highway speed, the Mirage is content to stay there. We didn't hear much road noise, probably because it wasn't loud enough to compete with the rushing of the wind and the roar of the engine.
    Funny that he mentions that. The road noise in my car is downright insane once you get up to 80kph (50mph). When it's raining I swear I could hear Niagra Falls splashing at the back of the car. I think the US version gets a lot more insulation though (and weight). The lower-profile, sporty Bridgestone Potenzas don't help with the noise (though they are very grippy).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Funny that he mentions that. The road noise in my car is downright insane once you get up to 80kph (50mph). When it's raining I swear I could hear Niagra Falls splashing at the back of the car. I think the US version gets a lot more insulation though (and weight). The lower-profile, sporty Bridgestone Potenzas don't help with the noise (though they are very grippy).
    insane like you need to put ear protection on?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Haha. Not quite. Insane like you can't hear the guy speaking behind you unless he raises his voice insane.

It's well known that the "first world" versions of this car has more sound insulation, although the Australian reviews still complained about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ok so me ( EU ) will have better sound proving

during my testdrive on the highway i did notice lots of drive train noise from the back part of the car.

I wonder if it's noisier than my 1998 Pontiac Firefly (Suzuki Swift/Chevrolet Metro) 3 cylinder ...

One day soon I hope to drive one...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)