Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anti rust treatment (corrosion warranty?)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The salesman at the dealer told me there was a 12 year warranty for "rust from inside" as they call it.

But I started reading the brochures and stuff I couldn't find this number anywhere...

Doe anyone know exactly how long the warranty is?

greetings
    Paul

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It might be a bit different around the world but in the united states. This is what mitsu claims online. 7-year/100,000-mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    The salesman at the dealer told me there was a 12 year warranty for "rust from inside" as they call it.

But I started reading the brochures and stuff I couldn't find this number anywhere...

Doe anyone know exactly how long the warranty is?

greetings
    Paul
    Dealer in The Hague claims 10 years or so for body rust. I asked other dealer and local garage they said the cars nowadays has different kind of metal/protection to prevent rust. I can't find any "Ziebart" anti rust protection in Holland.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Dealer in The Hague claims 10 years or so for body rust. I asked other dealer and local garage they said the cars nowadays has different kind of metal/protection to prevent rust. I can't find any "Ziebart" anti rust protection in Holland.
    Unless this "metal" they speak of is plastic, I am still skeptical. Conditions of moisture, salt (which attracts and holds moisture), sand/gravel (abrasion), UV rays and temperature fluctuations (expansion/contraction), are difficult to resist for just about any material. Even aluminum will oxidize, fiberglass with chalk/check, and steel will rust unless encapsulated in paint or some other barrier. Certainly some metal is better than others, and modern cars do seem to do well, especially if kept clean and in a garage, but 10 years down the road, most vehicles around here have some rust.

Another issue I face is that the body rust on my Focus is relatively minimal and can easily be touched up from time to time. However, the corrosion of other parts frequently costs me money. Every time my brakes need work, for example, the mechanic points out the rusted-together parts that need replacing. It isn't just the body that suffers from rust, but all exposed metal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Unless this "metal" they speak of is plastic, I am still skeptical. Conditions of moisture, salt (which attracts and holds moisture), sand/gravel (abrasion), UV rays and temperature fluctuations (expansion/contraction), are difficult to resist for just about any material. Even aluminum will oxidize, fiberglass with chalk/check, and steel will rust unless encapsulated in paint or some other barrier. Certainly some metal is better than others, and modern cars do seem to do well, especially if kept clean and in a garage, but 10 years down the road, most vehicles around here have some rust.

Another issue I face is that the body rust on my Focus is relatively minimal and can easily be touched up from time to time. However, the corrosion of other parts frequently costs me money. Every time my brakes need work, for example, the mechanic points out the rusted-together parts that need replacing. It isn't just the body that suffers from rust, but all exposed metal.
    I have not experienced the same, lucky me. My Eleanor (13 y.o. Galant) only rusting on the body at the rear wheel casing. Make sure on every winter to wash your car with bottom rinse every 2 weeks at most. Will keep it clean on the bottom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i use this

is also called " tectyl"

Name:  auto-tectyl.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  8.1 KB

or

Name:  img_2670.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  45.9 KB

and you get this

Name:  Foto-KFAEXBUO.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  56.4 KB

to this

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9705/p1010125jr9.jpg

Name:  DSCN1633.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  88.4 KB
    als you can get non colored where you dont have this black all over

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Our Skoda Fabia will be ten years next year. The bodywork is still in pretty good shape and has no (visible) rust on the outside or underbody. But like you say, brakes and other exposed metal parts that come into contact with the salt get their share!

@Spacester:

Valvoline Tectyl is not an extremly good rust protection, the black underbody tends to dry up and crack on the underside and the stuff for inside vaporizes during the years untill there is nothing left... I agree it is better than nothing but there is better stuff in the market! Like this grease: http://www.mike-sander.nl/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I used boeshield (http://boeshield.com/) on the frame of my bicycle. I have no idea how good it is, though, as my bikes don't really rust that much anyway (chromoly is a bit rust resistant, it is painted, and easier to keep clean). Maybe this would be a good thing to put on a car? The devil seems to be the details, though, as cars have hundreds of little nooks and crannies, compared to a bike where most everything is clearly visible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Looks more like a lubricant then a rust preventive to me. But who knows it might be a good rust preventive for some situations, but not likely under the car itself!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its both, says so right on the linked page:

Boeshield T-9® was developed and licensed by The Boeing Company to fill their need for a superior lubricant/protectant.

The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)