Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th Gen Mirage: Tuner/Power Programmer/ECU/Piggyback. Where are we now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    AEM mentioned that they had a flying lead harness for our application, to use with their products. Is that what you used? I have been in recent contact with them and they said as much. I am currently having a productive back-and-forth with Megasquirt and well see where that goes. Working on perhaps a wheel decoder to change the crank/cam sensor values so an MS3 system can be installed...maybe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, if you get the right brains interested in doing it, the MS firmware gurus could definitely whip up an option to handle the oddball Mirage crank wheel. That would make installing a MS much easier.

Do they have the connector kit for our ECU? If they do, you could actually do a plug & play MS3.

Of course, there's still a LOT of work in tuning a MS from scratch, even if you can accomplish the wiring easily and not have to change any hardware.

But, if they DO get the crank wheel decoder working, and they DO have the proper ECU connectors... I might just be up for doing it. Really curious how much more power this engine could make with proper tuning.

I lack the motivation to do a bunch of custom stuff to install a MS on the Mirage (I've got a Microsquirt half-installed on my S10 and haven't been motivated enough to finish it... and it NEEDS it!). But, if it's easy... and especially if it's easy to just swap back to the stock ECU if I want/need to... to me, that's the fun stuff! I like tinkering with MS tuning.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Megasquirt representative response after showing crank/cam trigger wheel images:
    "It's usually required around $500 to get a custom decoder written. The decoder will typically incorporate both triggers. There is a 6G75 decoder in the works as well - I'll check if this appears to be the same crank pattern. I have sent the images to the code team."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $500 is a nice chunk of change, but... compared to the cost of a custom or modified crank pulley and a custom bracket, and a sensor and custom wiring, etc, etc. It's not THAT bad. Especially if you can split it up among several people.

Personally, I've got a friend with a lathe and a MIG welder. I could get a pulley modded up for under $50 plus parts... so maybe $100. The bracket, I could build myself from scrap. But, I'd have to buy a sensor, wire, connectors, etc. All told, even doing as much of it myself as possible, it would still cost $200 to rig up a 36-1 crank trigger wheel.

Get 3-4 people to go in on the $500 software development that allows use of the stock parts and wiring, and it becomes a bargain.

Better still... if it's the same as something they're already working on! I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Most auto makers like to stick with their standards. It's a lot cheaper that way.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Going 36-1 means you also have to make the cam a "1-trigger" as well. You would have to do the fabrication on the crank AND cam. Thats not exactly where i want to go. Ideally at the end, i would like to have a process everyone can be involved in to upgrade their performance/MPG. All of that fabrication is likely a "bridge-too-far" for most, myself included.

My sense is that they have a trigger pattern that is similar...somewhere. Anyways, they have been pretty "on point" so far...(crosses fingers).

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    AEM mentioned that they had a flying lead harness for our application, to use with their products. Is that what you used? I have been in recent contact with them and they said as much. I am currently having a productive back-and-forth with Megasquirt and well see where that goes. Working on perhaps a wheel decoder to change the crank/cam sensor values so an MS3 system can be installed...maybe.
    I used the standard flying lead harness that came with the ecu, intecepted injector signals, and crank and Cam using the hall effect wires and intercepted throttle position at throttle body.

It doesn't work perfect but let's me run the car with extra fuel under boost, a flash tune for the stock ecu would be the best way to go but it's a costly process here, about $1000-1500aud so I'd have to weigh that up against an expensive stand alone that might have more features.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm late for this thread... I was able to pull and flash rom. Others have done similar. Most run into the check sum issue which "bricks" or makes the ECU unresponsive. I personally can "unbrick" them aka fix the check sum. Where my progress stopped was in defining the rom to be able to modify anything on it. If someone was able to define and share the definition with me, I would be willing to share openly or privately (providers choice), everything I have and know.

I was iffy about sharing MY ROM openly as I am unable to remove my Key Fob information from the ROM. So a potential security risk for my self.

I do tend to be on and off again here on the forum cause #life, but I really would like to see an open source option come available and will aid in any way I can to obtain that.

With that said, if someone in a previous post was ready to perform a written test of a modified rom, I may be able to correct the check sum on the rom and give it back to continue the test. With some sort of agreement and further dialogue I might be talked into sharing my process in doing so.

Besides all that, continue the great work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satria_wr View Post
    PCMFlash works well guys. It can read an write + checksum it automatically. Just tune your file using winols.
    With that said, this was posted on my thread a bit ago. I tried to follow up on it and couldn't get enough info to do it my self. Really keep hoping someone will make a break through on this and share.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

Qrush (07-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One additional note... open source definition of the factory rom is going to require someone providing several roms and definitions.

Explanation... between the years and models there will be a lot of different roms as Mitsubishi changed things. The good news is you can flash different roms onto different ECUs. However you will need a manual and automatic rom, a MAF/MAP rom and MAP rom. Unless of course the MAP sensor is the same between markets in which case the MAF cars can just flash to MAP roms and make the MAF obsolete. However a MAF rom defined is not going to run the MAP only Cars. In addition the G4 will also need it's own definitions for Manual and Automatic and then MAF and MAP. There is some work involved, but it's been done before with other Mitsubishi's and can be done again.

The MAP roms are the way to go here, and if you can get the four needed MAP only roms (hatch manual, hatch auto, G4 manual, G4 Auto), it should cover the entire market we currently have in circulation. Sadly, I'm only seeing MAF roms so the MAP only guys may end up suffering.
    Last edited by live4redline; 07-19-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    One additional note... open source definition of the factory rom is going to require someone providing several roms and definitions.

Explanation... between the years and models there will be a lot of different roms as Mitsubishi changed things. The good news is you can flash different roms onto different ECUs. However you will need a manual and automatic rom, a MAF/MAP rom and MAP rom. Unless of course the MAP sensor is the same between markets in which case the MAF cars can just flash to MAP roms and make the MAF obsolete. However a MAF rom defined is not going to run the MAP only Cars. In addition the G4 will also need it's own definitions for Manual and Automatic and then MAF and MAP. There is some work involved, but it's been done before with other Mitsubishi's and can be done again.

The MAP roms are the way to go here, and if you can get the four needed MAP only roms (hatch manual, hatch auto, G4 manual, G4 Auto), it should cover the entire market we currently have in circulation. Sadly, I'm only seeing MAF roms so the MAP only guys may end up suffering.
    When I get my car here I'll happily provide a map only rom for a RHD hatch. Been wanting to get pcm flash and a Chinese mut iii as I can use the mut iii in my workplace on fuso trucks.