Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th Gen Mirage: Tuner/Power Programmer/ECU/Piggyback. Where are we now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

6th Gen Mirage: Tuner/Power Programmer/ECU/Piggyback. Where are we now?

Thanks for the kind welcomes by the various members of this fine forum. Im new here, but used all the info I gathered here to makes the decisions I have made, up to this point.

Noteworthy engine performance mods thus far:
    "Custom" Air Intake feat. K & N (build courtesy of Cani Lupine)
    SuperCircuit 3-in-1 Header w/TIG-welded Co2 Defouler
    High-Flow Cat-Back Exhaust System feat. Magnaflow

Each of these mods were done one after the other, not all at once. I was able to get a truly good feel for each of the mods, as I drive about 500m/week. I gave each mod a week or so to feel them out. They all gave noticable performance improvements. Each mod made the car feel more responsive and fun to drive. I couldnt be happier with each of these upgrades, and I recommend them to all our Mirage brethren.

I love my new Supercircuit headers, but they are purple now. I love the sound of my intake, but is sounds as if its hiccuping sometimes. I love my new Magnaflow cat-back, but my exhaust likes to burp a lot. Heck, my new NGK plugs are a great upgrade, but the plugs are now black with soot after a short 1k test. These are signs of whats missing...a proper tune.

Ive looked far and wide to solve the "tune" problem. Im no expert. Heck, I barely know what it is. But from all ive read about performance modifications, the "tune" is what makes your mods sing! But where is it? Sure Unichip via SpeedLab has a unit. But good luck getting any substantial answers about the product specifics and application with Speedlab (fyi, Ive tried contacting Unichip In the US with no reply). I get a little uneasy when the customer service/communication is lacking/non-existent, especially when the pricetag is so high and the risk so great. Also, its a piggyback - must be wired, then properly tuned on a dyno (dont forget huge shipping costs/long delay from overseas distributor).

Again, im a newb. If you asked me a month ago what a power programmer was I would say its some hacker that works for the CIA. Ask me about a tuner, I say go see a conductor. What about a piggyback, I say go to the playground with that nonsense. Whatever it is, dammit, we needs one! Especially if we got these damned shineys under the hood. So, can we (and by we I mean, you ) do anything about this?
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    Progress so far:
    MoTeC - positive fitment (M141/M182). contacted via email, "We don’t offer a plug and play solution for that vehicle. Since this is a DI engine, you will need either a M142, or a M182. The cheapest ECU we have to run this engine would run you about $6000. That only includes the ECU and the software. You’ll need to come up with some sort of jumper harness to mate the MoTeC ECU to the factory harness."

*if you have $6k+ and can get a custom-fabricated harness, a path is still possible. you can contact Mike Reising at MoTeC via email: mike@motec.com

Orangevirus Tuning (ecu reflash) contacted via facebook/"we don't have a tune completed for the mirage at this time, so it would be through development process only." "I can flash this ECU, but what I am saying is I have not developed a tune yet." "okay I need full information about your car. Model year, transmission AT or MT, engine size, etc (sent)."/ecu reflash in development

*if you are interested in an ecu reflash for the 3A92 platform, you can contact Orangevirus Tuning via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Orangevirustuningltd/

DIYAutoTune.com - no fitment. contacted via facebook. was told to provide specific technical info/info sent/"You can put a crank trigger on anything that spins at crank speed; many OEM installs have it attached in the middle of the crankshaft. But it will work just as well on the crank pulley, outside the block. I did not mean to imply this wheel would need to go in the same location as the factory trigger wheel."

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...crank-trigger/

"the bracket is going to depend on what mounting points are available on the engine. We haven't made an effort to design a universal bracket as making something that fits all engines seems rather unlikely. The sensor goes perpendicular to the crank, pointed at the edge of the trigger wheel."

*if someone were confident/able to fabricate the neccessaries according to DIYAutoTune, a path is still possible

*If you want to contact DYIAutoTune about a tune for the 3A92 platform, email Matt: websales@diyautotune.com

Haltech - no fitment. contacted via email. was told to provide specific technical info/info sent/"That is the camshaft pickup, unfortunately, it is not a pattern that is supported. If it was to be considered for support, we would need an oscilloscope trace of the crank and cam sensors along with ignition 1 output from the factory ecu. You would use an oscilloscope connected and recording crank sensor, cam sensor, and ignition 1 while the engine is cranking or running on a factory ecu. We would then have the necessary information to possibly add that crank and cam pattern into the Elite ECU."

*if someone were able to provide a legitimate oscilloscope trace to Haltech, a path is still possible. you can contact Haltech via email: usasalesandsupport@haltech.com

AEM - universal fitment? contacted via email, "Unfortunately AEM does not have a plug and play standalone for the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. As an option, I would recommend taking a look at the Infinity universal standalones in combination with a custom wiring harness from Boomslang (no fitment via Boomslang rep)."

some time later:
    "As an option, AEM does offer a flying lead harness that can be adapted to your factory wiring harness to adapt the AEM Infinity ECU".

after showing cam/crank sensor trigger wheels:
    "The camshaft trigger can be cut down from a 4 tooth count to a 1 tooth count. A 36-2-1-1 crank trigger pattern is not supported by the Infinity units. You will need to switch to an aftermarket crank trigger pattern.".

*if you are able to fabricate a crank sensor mount, a path is still possible. you can contact Matt Cruz AEM via email: mcruz@aempower.com

Unichip South Africa - no fitment. contacted via website, "Thank you for your enquiry. We are forwarding it to the main distributor for North America who will be able to better assist you with local model, pricing and dealer information."

Unichip North America - no fitment. contacted via website, "That application needs a custom install and tune as it’s not a kit we currently offer. The closest shop qualified to do the tuning is down the coast a few hours in Miramar. You can reach Rudy at 954.682.7078."

*we have seen the Unichip Q piggy-backed on the 3A92 in Asia. requires soldering/wiring-in and other modifications. a dyno tune is mandatory, post install.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bully Dog - no fitment. contacted via email, "Thank you for contacting Bullydog, unfortunately we do not have an ecu for your platform."

Hypertech - no fitment. contacted via email, "We do not carry ecu units , we only have tuning for supported vehicles and the 2014 Mitsubishi is not supported."

Superchips - no fitment. contacted via email, "Unfortunately, we don’t have any tuning for your vehicle or universal ECUs."

Edge - no fitment. contacted via email, "We do not have any tunes for that vehicle unfortunately."

DiabloSport - no fitment. contacted via facebook, "Unfortunately, we do not."

1kd Performance - ? fitment. contacted via website/no response

Titan - no fitment. contacted via website/no response

APEXi - no fitment. contacted via website/no response

Greddy - no fitment. contacted via website, no response. Greddy has discontinued support for the Emanage line of ecus

Last edited by Qrush; 06-28-2018 at 08:44 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-11-2018),Daox (12-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The factory ecu is supposedly cracked (meaning you can alter the factory computer) but nobody here has really accomplished anything performances oriented.
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 11-03-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Currently working on an ECU flash with Orangevirus Tuning:

"We have not looked too far into the mirage at this time though. So if we were to develop a tune it would be R&D/development only. I can flash this ECU, but what I am saying is I have not developed a tune yet".

Well see what results we can come up with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm always interested in stuff like this!

If you make any progress please report back.

A few people were playing around in the electronics an found a screen where you could select between "power" and "economy" might be a start

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    Currently working on an ECU flash with Orangevirus Tuning:

"So if we were to develop a tune it would be R&D/development only. I can flash this ECU, but what I am saying is I have not developed a tune yet".
    This is typical lingo for all tuners/shops. I would suggest finding a shop with good tuning reputation. Good tuning can give you great results, bad tuners can make your engine go kaboom.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I'm always interested in stuff like this!

If you make any progress please report back.

A few people were playing around in the electronics an found a screen where you could select between "power" and "economy" might be a start
    no probs. "crosses fingers"...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This is typical lingo for all tuners/shops. I would suggest finding a shop with good tuning reputation. Good tuning can give you great results, bad tuners can make your engine go kaboom.
    Have you had a bad experience with them? I got a quick response He seemed eager enough. I mean, I have been turned down by almost all my local tuners. And there are no plug-n-play tuners/programmers/chips, anything. So, the mere fact that some1 wants to give it a go, i say have at it. Ive given him no cash, I (we) got nothing to lose...yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Orangevirus is reputable

If you would want them to flash your ecu it would be best too start data logging your timing advance, lt@st knock, air fuel ratio and mivec advance so they know what to do

Genuinely i would suggest buying the cams that are available and dropping your car off in California, at Orangevirus.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did lot of follow up intel gathering. They seem legit. From what I understand, they send you a kit with a cable interface. You rip the stock ecu map, send it to them, then they remap a new tune, send it back, then you "upload" the new tune. Data logging is done somewhere in the process via their cable interface.

The only cam i saw was from some guy on facebook in Indonesia. My instinct sent me a "shady" alert. If youve got a legit path to a reputable shop that has some legit cams, I would love to hear about it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very cool. From what you've said it sounds like there would be no down time unless you brick your ecu

Crane cams will make you whatever you want, and I've bought 3 cams from them in the past so i know they're legit

http://www.cranecams.com/whats_newview.php?s_id=35

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Qrush (11-04-2017)