Thread: Brake pedal causing shifter click

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Brake pedal causing shifter click

Today I changed my brake pads on my 2017 Mirage SE(CVT). After putting everything back together I pumped the brakes a few times until it felt like pressing a brick before starting my car which I’ve done many times over the years on my and my wife’s cars. After starting the car I put it in reverse(slightly sloped driveway) and surprise the brakes didn’t engage. I turned the wheel and headed for the grass putting the car in neutral (I thought). When I stopped it was in D or Ds. Once I turned the car off and pumped the brakes again I restated the car and the brakes are good. I have now noticed when I step on the brake when the car is in park there is a click in the shifter. Maybe a safety switch disengaging that I could never hear before? It only makes the click in park. The car shifts normally with no problems. I did try disconnecting the battery and it did not reset. Any ideas?

Last edited by nealpeal; 12-03-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    your right thats just an electronic solenoid unlocking the shifter so that you can move it, its normal the trigger for that solenoid is the brake switch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    your right thats just an electronic solenoid unlocking the shifter so that you can move it, its normal the trigger for that solenoid is the brake switch.
    Thank you. I don’t ever remember hearing it before. Wondering if it’s normal to hear it

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpeal View Post
    Thank you. I don’t ever remember hearing it before. Wondering if it’s normal to hear it
    I can also hear it in my car. Its definitely much more noticeable if its something you are intentionally listening for.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mohammad, I was never listening for it before. Guess I just never noticed it until my incident the other day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpeal View Post
    Thanks Mohammad, I was never listening for it before. Guess I just never noticed it until my incident the other day.
    You never really notice it because its rare to hit the brakes while in park. I normally hold the brake pedal down before starting the car which means that that shift lock solenoid will unlock as the car starts so the sound is drowned out/doesnt feel connected to the brakes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-07-2021)