Thread: Average age of forum members (also youngest / oldest)

Average age of forum members (also youngest / oldest)

After noting that we just passed 2k members in the forum, it got me wondering about some demographics...

Since the forum asks for our birth date when registering, it wasn't hard to query for some age-related trivia.

So, assuming people put in their actual birthdays...

37 = average age of forum members

85 = oldest forum member

19 = youngest forum member

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-03-2017),Cobrajet (11-02-2017),Fummins (11-02-2017),inuvik (11-02-2017),Marklovski (11-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very neat. Ever since the boom of social media, specifically the Facebook groups, I haven't been on such an awesome forum in years. This Mirage forum is probably the most educational and reliable place to look for (2014+) Mirage info. Glad to see the Mirage forum here being pretty active.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-03-2017),MetroMPG (11-03-2017)

Thanks, 2of9! I agree: the community is really great -- friendly & helpful.

... Ever since the boom of social media...
    Yeah, unfortunately that is the threat to traditional web forums. FB has become so so integrated into peoples' lives, they use it by default for everything. But FB is the Walmart of the web, choking off the arguably more useful, smaller resources. If you want your local mom & pop stores to stick around, you gotta use them!

/rant

What I want to say about those age stats is... congrats to the 85 year old, whoever you are! (I didn't peek, honest.) I don't know a lot of 85 year olds who are computer savvy enough to join/use a forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't have a FB, Twitter or IG. I am old school as forums were the only thing around really in like 96-97 When I started going online. And aim. Can't forget that haha from which I read is now dead for good. Have not tried using it for 15 years though so

I wonder if the average forum age will trend down as more and more used Mirages become available to younger people with less disposable income. The yoots tend to spend more time messing with cars, going online, joining forums etc.

However, they also may be more likely to use FB than the web. Catch-22.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks, 2of9! I agree: the community is really great -- friendly & helpful.

Yeah, unfortunately that is the threat to traditional web forums. FB has become so so integrated into peoples' lives, they use it by default for everything. But FB is the Walmart of the web, choking off the arguably more useful, smaller resources. If you want your local mom & pop stores to stick around, you gotta use them!

/rant

What I want to say about those age stats is... congrats to the 85 year old, whoever you are! (I didn't peek, honest.) I don't know a lot of 85 year olds who are computer savvy enough to join/use a forum.
    agreed. The houston forums that I visited since high school almost shut down.
    Thankfully they brought it back up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the numbers have changed since then, I'm 17 so does that make me the youngest? :')

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinTime14 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-13-2018)

Aww, the baby of the family.

Let's see...

We're up to 2258 members, and again assuming people put in their actual birthdays...

37.3 = average age of forum members

86 = oldest forum member

17 = youngest forum member

So it looks like the average had gone up, but you brought it down a little bit!