Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Aftermarket serpentine belt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    My 82 Toyota trucks used the bolt and nut to adjust all three belts. Nice to see the mirage carrying on the four decade tradition
    Oh, I'm pretty sure this goes further back than just four decades.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Goodyear makes good stuff! Gates has been good to me also. How often do these need done?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ended up ordering a Goodyear/Continental belt. It looks just like the Gatorback with the notches cut into the ribs so suspect it is the same thing.

I also adjusted the belt as it was definitely loose according to the plucking sound. We will see how that goes but figure it is best to replace it maybe at the next oil change when the weather is hopefully a little nicer out. The adjustment was super easy and took no time at all.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I ended up ordering a Goodyear/Continental belt. It looks just like the Gatorback with the notches cut into the ribs so suspect it is the same thing.

I also adjusted the belt as it was definitely loose according to the plucking sound. We will see how that goes but figure it is best to replace it maybe at the next oil change when the weather is hopefully a little nicer out. The adjustment was super easy and took no time at all.

Conor
    Yep. Continental and Goodyear are the same. Good choice.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The squealing and squeaking in some situations should be inherent with the fact that these do not have an automatic belt tensioner. Adjustment may be necessary over the life of the belt, or you can just leave it until it has visible cracks and needs replacement.

I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm sure a Gatorback would solve any noise concerns. Those are fantastic belts.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I've had belt squeal issues with both Mirages right from new. Usually at startup if it's wet/raining or if car was parked after driving in the rain. It's happened while driving if I run through a puddle or heavy rain where there's excessive water on the pavement.
    Most vehicles will squeal if the belt gets wet but I find the Mirage with stock belt to be more prone to it than most.
    After dealership and I sort out my exhaust rattle issues I plan on swapping out the stock belt to further quiet things down.
    Gatorback looks like a good option if I can find them here.
    I just noticed a slight whistling noise after hitting the accelerator from the right side of my dash and it started after I was driving in the rain for awhile. I wonder if this is the same as what you mentioned. Ill listen again after the car drys out on a clear day.

If you load up the belt(alternator and ac compressor) turn on the ac, rear defrost, headlights and blower motor to full then blip the throttle and hear a squeak then the belt is too loose or needs to be replaced. I've tightened belts and gotten rid of noise that way but once the alternator is a little past center on the adjuster slot it's time to look for another belt.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)