Thread: Subcompact car choices are disappearing again in the U.S.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Subcompact car choices are disappearing again in the U.S.

Name:  rip.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  62.0 KB
    (Image: Oliver Tacke)

Small cars are dropping like flies! Blame it on:

1) Unusually low U.S. gas prices, 3 years running ...

... and ...

2) The "crossover" frenzy: a shift to cars where owners (often older) can "sit up higher". (My aunt just traded her Mazda 3 sedan for a Ford Escape for this very reason.)

The result of poor sales means automakers are dropping small cars from their line-ups:

• Mazda reversed plans to bring its new Mazda2 hatch to the States/Canada (although Toyota sells a rebadged version of the Mazda2 sedan as the Yaris).
    • Ford canceled the Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0t option in the U.S. and is likely dropping the Fiesta entirely once the Ecosport crossover takes its place.
    • Smart will no longer be selling a gasoline-powered version of the Fortwo -- EV only from now on.
    • Chrysler dropped the Dart (not a subcompact, but it was their smallest & most efficient car)
    • GM scaled back production at the plant that makes the Sonic, due to declining sales
    • Hyundai dropped the Accent hatchback in the States (but not in Canada) for 2018; the sedan remains

What other small cars are facing the axe?

Well, Fiat 500 sales have collapsed, for one. (To less than half of Mirage sales.) I wonder how much longer it'll be around.

Is the Mirage safe?

I think so.

U.S. Mirage sales have bucked the subcompact sales trend, increasing every year since it's been available. And the company doesn't (yet) have a crossover that can easily replace it in its lineup.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are high we'll see the next generation Mirage in North America, despite what's happening to the rest of the segment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cortisol (11-29-2018),fc321 (06-02-2018),Fummins (11-03-2017)