Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats worse than the Mirage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Whats worse than the Mirage?

Got to thinking recently, I am totally happy with my Mirage 5sp, and well aware of its reputation among automotive types, so what cars are worse than our little humbler?

By worse I mean within their design niche and for ''what they are''. Subjective - I know.

I think I would nominate the entire Smart Car line, some of the Fiats, most Jeeps and Chryslers, Mitsu I-Miev, most Dodge and GMC offerings, any car that is horribly overpriced within its niche (Volkswagen EOS), what else?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Smart Car has godly understeer. Sorry I can't find the TopGear video of the understeer test. Reliant Robin was pretty bad. I heard the Chevy Sonic had loads of problems.

The perception here is price. There was a study done on wine. The participants would drink wine from bottles with a price labeled on them with no brand name. The participants would say the more expensive wine tasted better even though the cheaper wine was in the more expensive bottle. They also did brain scans to show thats not what they were saying but what they were actually thinking.

So when it comes to price of cars......more expensive is better right? The Fiat 500 will be perceived as better by many consumers just because of price alone.

Edit: ie the Mirage is 'bad' because of price.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The Smart Car has godly understeer. Sorry I can't find the TopGear video of the understeer test. Reliant Robin was pretty bad. I heard the Chevy Sonic had loads of problems.

The perception here is price. There was a study done on wine. The participants would drink wine from bottles with a price labeled on them with no brand name. The participants would say the more expensive wine tasted better even though the cheaper wine was in the more expensive bottle. They also did brain scans to show thats not what they were saying but what they were actually thinking.

So when it comes to price of cars......more expensive is better right? The Fiat 500 will be perceived as better by many consumers just because of price alone.

Edit: ie the Mirage is 'bad' because of price.
    Those types of studies are so interesting. Shows how we (they?) can be marketed to. The Mazda 6 for example, to me, feels very nearly as good as mid segment luxury cars, ie, 5-series and the S Class. There was even a commercial where they apparently hid the badges and it seemed at least, that many people preferred the Mazda.

I think the Mirage is picked on simply because the journalistas are afraid to say anything against the grain. Its literally become a scapegoat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Reviewers are hurting the industry in my opinion. Cars are way too expensive. Considering inflation, the R35 is way more expensive than the R34. The RX9 is going to be way more expensive than the RX8. So these cars middle class guys want are too expensive. The 90s street racer scene was something I wish I was a part of.

I always consider the product before I consider the price. I was really disappointed with the $17k Scion xD. Really wasn't worth the money.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dodge Caliber SRT4. It has such a bad reputation. Honestly i dont know why. It's an ugly car with a (very good) performance engine, its nothing new

Pontiac Aztek - again.. 'Why'? You can carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood WITH THE HATCH CLOSED, and you could get an optional tent.

Those 2 come to mind, but i liked both of them.. And like the mirage. Thinking about it maybe i have a brain tumor lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Dodge Caliber SRT4. It has such a bad reputation. Honestly i dont know why. It's an ugly car with a (very good) performance engine, its nothing new

Pontiac Aztek - again.. 'Why'? You can carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood WITH THE HATCH CLOSED, and you could get an optional tent.

Those 2 come to mind, but i liked both of them.. And like the mirage. Thinking about it maybe i have a brain tumor lol
    The neon srt-4 was even better. My old roommate back in those days bought a 2003 when they came out. Thing was very fun though pretty crude. Power windows up front and manual in the rear lol. But no lift power shifting it was possible with no loss of boost. It could surprise much more expensive cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post

I couldn't understand the concept of the Aztek. Not sure why most American car makers don't have dedicated hatchback product lines.
    I guess you could say American car makers don't have good market research teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The neon srt-4 was even better. My old roommate back in those days bought a 2003 when they came out. Thing was very fun though pretty crude. Power windows up front and manual in the rear lol. But no lift power shifting it was possible with no loss of boost. It could surprise much more expensive cars.
    The only Dodge I would consider buying and they canceled it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I totally agree with the price of cars nowadays. Buying a 'brand new' car, you'd REALLY have to see what the cars offer as well ("luxurious stuff", such as back up camera, heated seats, etc.). I really think most of the brand new cars are overly over priced for what they are.

Anyways, for me, I thought the Ford Focus was pretty lazy for what it was. The Dodge Inteprids as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think we're too biased for this discussion.

Every vehicle/model/manufacturer has its ups and downs.

For a fun daily driver under 15k, I'll stick with the mirage ES.
    Now, my Mirage wasn't as fun to drive when stock.
    But my mods (not including wheels and tires) are under 500$ iirc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-09-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Every Ford dual clutch equipped car. I have driven several and all of them are garbage. Shift like a garden tractor and make more noises than a meat grinder. Yet the automotive press fawns over them.

You can't beat the Mirage for the money. It appears they have tough drivetrains and hold up well. I want reliability over flash.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (12-06-2017),Eggman (12-05-2017)