Page 64 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage monthly sales, US & Canada, 2013-2023 (projected 7000/yr for U.S.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This is pretty sad. They have much better engines developed. The NR engine family has such cool technology in it like being able to run Atkinson and Miller cycles, multiple zone cooling systems for faster warm up, piston and ring coating technology, exhaust heat exchanger for faster warm up, smart alternator, head integrated exhaust manifold, and more.

I imagine they won't put it in the US Yaris (it is used in Europe) because they have to keep the price as low as possible to compete. Like you said, just a bit more and you get a Corolla. And, they don't want to cannibalize sales of larger more profitable vehicles like the Prius. What if the Yaris got 50 mpg on the highway? You'd definitely loose sales from the Corolla and Prius.
    The current Prius C still uses the old 1NZ engine as well as part of it's hybrid system. Toyota does this a lot. They 'recycle' older drivetrains in newer, low-priced models. Makes sense, as it keeps costs down. And there is generally nothing wrong with those older Toyota drivetrains anyway!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I think all direct inject engines that don't also have port injection (they're just starting to do that now AFAIK) have issues with carbon build up on the intake valves. I believe the new systems only fire the port injectors every few engine cycles, but its supposed to keep the carbon build up issue at bay.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I think all direct inject engines that don't also have port injection (they're just starting to do that now AFAIK) have issues with carbon build up on the intake valves. I believe the new systems only fire the port injectors every few engine cycles, but its supposed to keep the carbon build up issue at bay.
    That's a lot of injectors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    When's the last time Toyota had a new engine in say, the Corolla either? Toyota doesn't seem to introduce new engines very often.
    The 2019 Corolla Hatchback has an all-new engine: 2.0-liter Dynamic Force M20A-FKS. It's quite good.

I spent a week with the car, and here is my review: http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...hatchback.html

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-06-2018),El Kapitan (11-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its heavier than I would have thought. My 03 Matrix was 2700 lbs. My 04 Prius is only 2900. That Corolla is just over 3000.

That engine does look nice from a quick google search though. I'm going to have to read up more on it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I still have my 2007 Yaris I bought new in '07. It's been a great car. However, Toyota could give a rip about selling Yaris these days. They probably have it now for CAFE standards. Zero marketing, zero investment. It's still rocking the 1NZ-FE that originally debuted in 2000 in the Echo. Now that being said, it's be a fantastic vehicle for us, but it's absolutely the bottom of the rung in terms of sales priorities for the Big T. Mine is a lot of fun to drive with the mods and such, but I don't think I've seen a facelifted 2018 Yaris in the wild. Plus, in the Pacific Northwest region, it's nearly impossible to find a five-door with the 5MT. You'd think, however, that as big as Toyota is, they'd simply sell more by default. They probably make more cash off of the Prius c, and for not much more coin, you can get into a larger Corolla.
    Mine was also a 2007 5 door MT. So much fun to drive, more so than my Mirage. But the Mirage destroys it on combined mileage, which is my main concern with my commuter.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Toyota has announced it's sharpening the axe.

Thread: Toyota Yaris deathwatch is on

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

November US: another increase

Mirage eked out another year-over-year gain: 1522 sold last month, vs. 1208 in November 2017.

This pretty much assures that 2018 will be the Mirage's 4th straight year of increasing sales.

Overall sales for the company weren't so hot, though. All the other existing models saw sales declines, and overall sales were down 10.7% vs. last Nov.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...ber-sales-2018

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-05-2018)

November sales, Canada

Only 169 new Mirages found their way into Canadian driveways last month. Not mirroring the US success story.

The Nissan Micra saw its lowest sales (324) since it went on sale in 2014. No word on the Spark.

The Canadian auto market overall peaked about 9 months ago. Mitsu overall suffered a sharp drop in sales last month, like the US:

Overall monthly November sales are down 12 per cent over last year’s record month. MMSCAN reports 23,594 vehicles sold year to date which is up 10 per cent year-over-year.
    In good news, the Outlander PHEV is doing well: 5,000th one was sold last month, "firmly establishing it as Canada’s best-selling plug-in hybrid ".

https://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/...-5000plus-sold

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-04-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Overall sales for the company weren't so hot, though. All the other existing models saw sales declines, and overall sales were down 10.7% vs. last Nov.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...ber-sales-2018
    Seems to me the Mirage is special within its segment, in that it is quite different from the competition - less expensive, simpler, best fuel efficiency. I think that appeals to a lot of people.

The Lancer and RVR are nice enough, but lost in a sea of compact cars and SUV's. While Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Kia/Hyundai/Subaru/Volkswagen are all building cars that are faster/bigger/more luxurious, Mitsubishi built the Mirage and it is just better value (unless you really value acceleration, handling, a quiet cabin . . . )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)