Page 71 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage monthly sales, US & Canada, 2013-2023 (projected 7000/yr for U.S.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But is that a profitable marketing plan?

I see a similar ploy where a car company offers a cheap low price, and that model is a unicorn - unavailable on the lot and one can't be found in the country. That marketing doesn't help build the company name. It builds the wrong kind of reputation, and Mitsubishi is trying (needs?) to build it's reputation beyond cheap stripped-down cars. At least that's what I think.
    Most manufacturers offer "unicorns" on their sites. Ever try to buy a Prius C1? Or a stripper 5-speed Versa S sedan?

Chrysler made the mistake of heavily advertising stripper K-cars back in 1981...and then not building any. People eager to spend $5,900 on a base model Reliant went to the dealerships only to find nothing but $7,700 versions with velour seats, power windows, air conditioning, and fake wire wheel covers. This really hurt K-car sales early on.

But Chrysler quickly adjusted. They started producing the base models, and people flocked to the dealerships. My point is simply that there was an under-served market of frugal used car buyers shopping below the price of the 2014 DE, and Mitsubishi might have done well to cater to that market with a de-contented version of the Mirage. Nissan did this with the Versa sedan, undercutting the price of the Mirage. Even if the Versa S stripper was a unicorn it brought people into the dealership.

We still have people here b!tching about the fact that power windows and AC are requirements!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    5-speed manual option was dropped to ES model only in 2018 & beyond.
    2018 backup camera became standard (that was more a government mandate).
    2019 6-way adjustable driver's seat & cruise became standard. ES, SE, GT became ES, RF, LE, SE, GT
    2020 sounds like auto climate controls will become standard.

Thus, I ask the question. Let's say you have been thinking about buying a SE or GT during this time, what has changed? I think the answer could be one word.

If you are going to offer 5 trim levels, why not offer a true base level? I get that some people really like lots of features, but that's the reason for the upper trim levels. I really don't like paying for things I don't want. It's a huge turn off for me! Likewise, I am willing to pay extra for the things I really want.

For example - If only the GT had the 5-speed manual option, I would have a GT in my driveway. For me, some things are way more important than others.

Mitsubishi marketing strategy is pretty simple. Our cheap little economy car comes with all these standard features! Which invites people to look at what the competition has to offer. In the case of the Mirage, the competition is just plain disappearing.

A really start shopper looks past all that hype. What does the Mirage really have to offer? Affordable, reliable, and economical.

Adding standard features is adding nothing new to the Mirage. All those features already exist. For someone like me, adding more standard features just makes the Mirage less appealing. If the car is meant to be a cheap economy car, price really does matter!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm glad I got a nicely appointed Mirage with a 5-speed transmission. I'm not sure I would have bought it if it didn't have cruise control. Since I haven't before enjoyed the other luxuries such as automatic climate control, USB and Bluetooth connectivity I have come to really appreciate having these features on such an affordable car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Most manufacturers offer "unicorns" on their sites. Ever try to buy a Prius C1? Or a stripper 5-speed Versa S sedan?
    The stripper $10k CAD Mirages and Micras are actually fairly common sights here. There are definitely not a lot of them on dealership lots, but it wasn't strictly a marketing ploy; they are available, and they actually sold a bunch of them.

I can't speak about the $10K CAD base Sparks though. I haven't followed them as closely.

All 3 base cars came without A/C, had wind-up windows (rears on the Mirage), and manual locks. No A/C for most people is a deal-breaker.

Surprisingly, Nissan revealed that in ~3 years of sales, 8% of Micras sold were the base $10k model. Higher than I expected. Mitsu hasn't shared the stats on base Mirage sales.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Spark sales have taken off in the US:
    [...] That's ahead of the Mirage at 12,901.
    Amazing: same thing happened in Canada -- Spark outsold both the Mirage AND Micra in the 2nd quarter. What's up with that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Amazing: same thing happened in Canada -- Spark outsold both the Mirage AND Micra in the 2nd quarter. What's up with that?
    I just did a 200 mile new cars search on cars.com, & 189,413 cars came up. When I sort lowest to highest price, I don't see Mirages right away. I also don't see the Nissan Versa.

I see lots of Chevy Sparks and some Ford Fiesta mixed in. Every small town of any size has a Chevy & Ford dealership. The town I work in has a population of 5,000 people, & we have a GM dealership, Ford dealeship, & Chrysler/Jeep.

Let's say I don't know much about cars, & search for Mirage on youtube.com. The first that always comes up is

"The Mitsubishi Mirage Is the Worst New Car You Can Buy" by Doug DeMuro

Now, we all know Doug is an idiot, but the average Joe isn't going to know that. They look at something like that, & they are going to move on to something. Why would someone in my area travel a long distance for that?

Now let's take this a step further. You google Chevy Spark today and this comes up -

"The Cutest Chevy Ever!!! 2019 Chevrolet Spark 1LT - IN DEPTH REVIEW" by whoever (because it really doesn't matter)

I have a Chevy dealer in my hometown, & they are cheaper than anything else on the market. What is the average person going to buy?

Mitsubishi really has to offer a special product to draw people in, especially for those who don't live in large cities. We have a town nearby that has a population of less than 900 people, & they have long established Ford dealership. It's been there longer than I have lived in this area and that's 33 years. That same dealership has a GM/Chrysler dealership in a town of about 3,000 people nearby that. Ford & Chevy dealerships are everywhere.

I do not know of a single good Mitsubishi dealership in the state of Wisconsin. The one I test drove a Mirage at was the WORST dealership I have ever visited. The next closest had one Mirage in stock last time I checked. I am amazed the Mirage does so well! It's a true testament to what it is.

Some members can go on & on about features, but it is price alone that caught my attention. It was so low, I had to check these cars out. What I discovered was a very interesting car that consumers are quite happy with. I like cars and like checking out what is out there, & I almost overlooked the Mirage. I also had to be willing to buy a car from a dealership 4 hours away. The average person just isn't going to do that.

That's my theory on Chevy Spark sales. They are cheap & available almost everywhere. I could be wrong?

I wouldn't buy one!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-09-2019)

Some excellent points there, Mark.

July U.S.

Last month, Mirage saved Mitsubishi's bacon in the U.S. - otherwise the overall numbers would have been terrible instead of simply bad.

July sales of Mirage, the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid vehicle sold in America2, were up 37% year-over-year, defying the industry trend away from cars to CUVs. On a year-to-date basis, Mirage sales are up 3.7%.
    3256 Mirages delivered. It was the company's best-selling model by a wide margin.

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/rel...uly-2019-sales

Though we have to remember we have no idea how much of that number is fleet vs. retail.

Overall July sales were down 13.4% over last July. But calendar year-to-date sales through the end of July are hanging on by a fingernail, up 3.1% compared to the same period in 2018.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-02-2019),inuvik (08-06-2019)

Canada July

213 Mirage / G4 deliveries.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/...ads-july-sales

Meanwhile, Nissan sold 600 Micras.

Overall sales were down 9% vs. last year.

But, noteworthy:
    Outlander PHEV reached 8,000+ vehicles sold milestone last month. Since its launch in 2018, Outlander PHEV quickly became Canada’s top-selling plug-in hybrid, a distinction it continues to hold in 2019.
    Acquaintances of mine just bought one. They traded a Lexus 200h for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-02-2019)

U.S. August sales

Woohoo!

• August sales of Mirage, the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid vehicle sold in America, were up 37.9% year-over-year, continuing to defy the industry trend away from cars to CUVs.
    That translates to 2824 deliveries.

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/rel...ust-2019-sales

That's the 2nd month in a row of significantly higher year-over-year sales. Fleet or retail buyers? We'll never know!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (09-05-2019)