Page 82 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage monthly sales, US & Canada, 2013-2023 (projected 7000/yr for U.S.)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I got my '17 Mirage ES, I paid $9,600 out the door and that was brand new. Mitsubishi's site never showed the discounts; it was a dealer thing. However, I've still never seen prices that low on new stuff. I don't think you'll see Mitsubishi dropping Mirage prices $2,000–$3,000 and advertising it on their site. I think you'll find dealers (of all brands) dropping prices to move inventory. But yeah, keep your eyes on dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I really don't want to get too paranoid here, but I really hope MMNA can sustain this downturn. I know what happened to Suzuki during 2008-2010, and it wasn't good. It ultimately lead to them pulling out of North America.
    I bought a Suzuki before they shut down. Then a Pontiac (okay, a rebadged Suzuki) before GM killed it. Now I have a Mirage.

Bad juju?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    When I got my '17 Mirage ES, I paid $9,600 out the door and that was brand new. Mitsubishi's site never showed the discounts; it was a dealer thing. However, I've still never seen prices that low on new stuff. I don't think you'll see Mitsubishi dropping Mirage prices $2,000–$3,000 and advertising it on their site. I think you'll find dealers (of all brands) dropping prices to move inventory. But yeah, keep your eyes on dealers.
    I asked for a $9000 2017 Mirage ES manual in October of 2017. I ended up with a $9,299 Mirage, because the one they found nearby had Bluetooth, center armrest, and PULSE lights already added. Since they found my first color choice, I wasn't going to bicker over $299.

Window sticker was $14,220. $9,299/$14,220 = 65.4% of window sticker price.

It's not clear to me how they achieved that price, & I don't really care. Had I qualified for loyalty or military rebates, it would have been even less. Tax, registration, documentation fees, new WI state plates, etc. added $854.70 to $9,299.

2.5 years later - 2017+ Mirages with low mileage (40,000 miles or less) are selling for approximately $8000-$10,000.

Some complain about the depreciation of these cars, but I don't feel that way. No matter how many years I own the car, it's not going to depreciate more than $9,299. Some more expensive vehicles depreciate that amount in one year.

It will be interesting to watch what happens when the new updated model appears & the remaining 2020 models need to be sold. Then again, we don't know the future for sure either. I have to believe the new model with an updated front will appear here at some point.

I wouldn't pay much extra for the new front if I could save a lot on the older models, but that's me.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-02-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Not everyone was on the forum in early 2016. At that time, there was a $3500 factory rebate on Mirages. A $9,000 base-model (DE) Mirage was common back then...even at lousy dealerships. My "top of the line" 2015 ES was $10,000.

Back then we didn't know about some of these dealers who are able to undercut everyone quite easily with no BS. What if a dealership like White Bear was selling Mirages with a $3500 rebate right now? Geez...they might be able to sell a new Mirage for $7500. At that price, I would probably go get a new one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (04-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Not everyone was on the forum in early 2016. At that time, there was a $3500 factory rebate on Mirages. A $9,000 base-model (DE) Mirage was common back then...even at lousy dealerships. My "top of the line" 2015 ES was $10,000.

Back then we didn't know about some of these dealers who are able to undercut everyone quite easily with no BS. What if a dealership like White Bear was selling Mirages with a $3500 rebate right now? Geez...they might be able to sell a new Mirage for $7500. At that price, I would probably go get a new one.
    Once I realized that I could buy a new 2017 for under $10,000, I gave up looking at used stuff. For me that included used vehicles like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, & Mazda2 (all small 4-door hatchbacks). At the time, I didn't see the point of looking at used 2014-15 low mileage Mirages either.

If I hadn't contacted a straight forward dealership like White Bear, I don't think I would have bought a Mirage. I think this car has done quite well in spite of the poor dealership network in the country. Like it has been said already, my local Mitsubishi dealership is banned from selling cars for 45-days, & it is not virus related. Even their untruthful message about why they are closed has been removed from their website now. Hopefully, their dishonest practices will be addressed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Once I realized that I could buy a new 2017 for under $10,000, I gave up looking at used stuff. For me that included used vehicles like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, & Mazda2 (all small 4-door hatchbacks). At the time, I didn't see the point of looking at used 2014-15 low mileage Mirages either.

If I hadn't contacted a straight forward dealership like White Bear, I don't think I would have bought a Mirage. I think this car has done quite well in spite of the poor dealership network in the country. Like it has been said already, my local Mitsubishi dealership is banned from selling cars for 45-days, & it is not virus related. Even their untruthful message about why they are closed has been removed from their website now. Hopefully, their dishonest practices will be addressed.
    I was the same way. I have an '07 Yaris and opted to sell our '13 WRX (we just didn't drive it much, it was paid off). We sold it and stuck some cash in the bank and figured we'd get an inexpensive new car. When I saw Alan Webb Mitsubishi in Vancouver, WA was selling Mirages for less than $10k, I thought it might be worth it. I looked at another Yaris, Fit, Spark, but all were thousands more. I figured I'd give the Mirage a try.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    EVERY manufacturer is going to have to offer some pretty steep discounts to keep the steel moving. No reason to drive your old car if you are under a shelter-in-place order, let alone any good reason to buy a new one. If you are in a position to buy a new car, the next few months might not be a terrible time to do it. I expect we will see lots of incentives coming.

Uncle Sam is even going to send most people a $1,200 down payment.

This downturn is really going to hurt manufacturers whose bread-and-butter are $60,000, diesel-powered, four-wheel-drive "suburban assault vehicles".

Question

^ Except if you look at the U.S. numbers, domestic pickup trucks were one segment that actually increased sales in the first quarter, vs. steep declines in just about every other segment:

• GM: "sales surged 27 percent for the Chevrolet Silverado and 31 percent for the GMC Sierra."
    • Chrysler: "Ram pickup trucks were a bright spot as sales rose 7 percent"
    • Ford: F150 sales were down 5% from a year ago, but down significantly less than the rest of its product line.

From: https://jalopnik.com/you-people-cant...cks-1842642134

That said, I've also read that may be because the parts of the U.S. that make up the bulk of those sales were (will be) the last to be affected by stay-home orders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gas is cheap. People will still buy trucks. If they need a car, they'll wait until they can afford it. That's my prediction.

If fuel spiked back up to nearly $4 a gallon like it did in 2009, we might be seeing a rush to small cars again, but that's no the case.

no Mirage numbers

April is the first month for which we will not get sales numbers for the Mirage, with the company switching to quarterly reporting. So our next glimpse at stats won't be until early July for the April-May-June period.

Seems that most manufacturers are making the same switch. There are a few hold-outs, though. Let's see how their entry level cars are doing...

• Hey - the Kia Rio was only down -31% YOY in April (1436 vs. 2082). That's not as bad as I would have guessed.
    • The Hyundai Accent was hammered, though: 736 (April 2020) vs. 2834 (2019). That's a 74% drop!
    • Honda Fit April YOY sales slumped 65%: 1187 vs. 3247.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-05-2020)