Page 96 of 120 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage monthly sales, US & Canada, 2013-2023 (projected 7000/yr for U.S.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    My mother owns a 2015 OS GT she bought new. She loves it and it's been a problem free car, currently with 50k miles. My dad bought a new 2019 OS ES. He's a truck guy, but he thinks it's a great vehicle so far, at about 20k miles. I honestly would buy one for myself too, but I try to pay cash for cars and can't afford $20k+.

My point being I know they're great vehicles. It still stands that it's an ancient design and therefore seems strange it's way outselling the much more modern Eclipse Cross. The average buyer doesn't know the different between a turbo and naturally aspirated engine, so I don't think the old, proven tech of the OS factors much into it's sales as a selling point.
    I agree for the North American market but for Asia, Oceania, Russia it seems to have resiliency.

Defying all odds two Mitsubishi's were named SUV of year for 2021 in Russia:

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rele...2021-in-russia

Not the new Outlander / Rogue but the now "classic" Mitsubishi Outlander. Granted Russia isn't known for it's forgiving roads so these old school designs must be pretty durable.

Last edited by inuvik; 10-05-2021 at 04:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mirage would be way more popular if it was priced right, & it had a better dealership network. People in my parents' area of the state aren't going to buy a Mitsubishi. They wouldn't even give them a thought.

2021 Hyundai Accent 120 hp, 33 city/41 highway mpg, MSRP starting @ $15,395.
    compare that to
    2021 Mitsubishi G4 78 hp, 35 city/41 highway mpg, MSRP starting @ $15,295.
    I agree with what you say Mark, for the most part. Personally I think the styling of both the Mirage and G4 are not helping it. While I actually quite like the 90's kind of look, most people want a brand new car that looks contemporary. Here's an example, there's some little Lexus SUV or CUV or maybe it's called a crossover. The NX is the one I believe I'm referring to. You can google it, but the images I see on google doesn't give the same perspectives as seeing it in the flesh.

Anywho - If Mitsubishi were to target that kind of contemporary styling, inside and out, I think they'd not be able to manufacture enough. They could keep the cheap materials inside and out. They'd have to keep the manual transmission or they'd get an earful from me. The shape metal or plastic is formed does not incur expense in and of itself. Meaning, even if the style inside and out looks contemporary, that in and of itself would not make it more expensive.

Do that, and keep the drivetrain the basic equipment of the vehicle, still target to be an inexpensive vehicle like it is now and they have a weiner. My opinion.

The Aztec is a perfect example. Nothing wrong with that car. Ahead of it's time in a lot of ways. But ugly, and that alone killed it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

The Aztec is a perfect example. Nothing wrong with that car. Ahead of it's time in a lot of ways. But ugly, and that alone killed it.
    It's funny you mention that, because the first time I saw the Eclipse Cross I thought the Pontiac Aztec had been resurrected. I am not the only person who had that thought, because there have been articles written about it. The Pontiac Aztec can also be found on many of the 10 ugliest vehicles of all time lists, too!

There's nothing special about the Eclipse Cross, & its 1.5L turbo engine with 152 horsepower & (25/28/26 FWD or 25/26/25 AWD) mpg ratings don't even compete that well with the Outlander Sport's 2.0L & 2.4L engines. If the turbo engine gave you a huge boost in horsepower &/or economy, that would be something. It really doesn't do that, however. Not saying the Eclipse Cross is a bad vehicle. I just don't think it did much for Mitsubishi's image.

I don't think dated looks are the problem. The Suzuki Jimny is a prime example of that. It's a box on wheels, & people are attracted to it. A simple, dependable, proven, economical powertrain would look good these days. It's why I have a 5-speed manual Mirage in my driveway, too!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-05-2021)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi sales are continuing to increase. The '22 Outlander is already being declared a hit by many. Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere in the U.S. anytime soon and I'd put money on it.

The Outlander is, hopefully, an example of a fruitful partnership among the alliance. I hope more successes come from it.

The Eclipse Cross, however, does seem to be a dud. Granted, the restyled '22 just came out. I spent a week with one and wrote a review about it if anyone's interested:

https://autowise.com/2022-mitsubishi...-cross-review/

Additionally, I also wrote about the '22 Outlander as well:

https://autowise.com/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-review/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-05-2021),MetroMPG (10-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Mitsubishi sales are continuing to increase. The '22 Outlander is already being declared a hit by many. Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere in the U.S. anytime soon and I'd put money on it.

The Outlander is, hopefully, an example of a fruitful partnership among the alliance. I hope more successes come from it.

The Eclipse Cross, however, does seem to be a dud. Granted, the restyled '22 just came out. I spent a week with one and wrote a review about it if anyone's interested:

Nice articles! Do you have access to data showing which mfg has a better track record with JATCO CVTs, Nissan or Mitsubishi? I can't find anything about the % of JATCO CVTs that make it to 200k miles hardly.

Journalistic question: Would you get in trouble with your editor if you pointed out the Outlander, having a Nissan powertrain, could potentially be a huge risk for consumers? Especially if they're expecting to get at least 200k miles out of their cars? Or could that be a libel issue that writers have to avoid?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post

I am not overly impressed with Nissan. My money would go elsewhere. Sewers usually suck down, & they seldom pull anyone up! I really don't have the impression that the Alliance is some wonderful thing for consumers. I also hope Mitsubishi is here to stay. If Mitsubishi just becomes rebadged Nissan products over time, however, they are sort of still gone in my mind.

If I had to replace my Forester with a new vehicle today, my money would go to Toyota (most likely the RAV4). If I can avoid a turbo & CVT, I am doing so. Others are free to feel differently. I've never owned a Toyota. Not really sure how that happened over the years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    If I had to replace my Forester with a new vehicle today, my money would go to Toyota (most likely the RAV4). If I can avoid a turbo & CVT, I am doing so. Others are free to feel differently. I've never owned a Toyota. Not really sure how that happened over the years?
    Would you consider a US domestic model, for example the Ford Escape?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Mark - As having done design engineering work for Toyota, right alongside Japanese engineers, I can tell you, they are all the good things you've ever heard about Toyota. That's not to say you will never get a bad example. It happens. I can also tell you that from my experience, Toyota puts more effort into the Camry than they do any other vehicle. Including the trucks. But I didn't work on the trucks. And as badass as the Tacoma is, the Camry is better. The Camry may not be the tank that the Tacoma is, but IT IS BETTER. My recommendation is: Get a Camry, if you can. And I agree with no turbo & no CVT.

Turbos can be good and reliable. But the turbo has to be quality (Holset), and the engine has to be built for boost. Not many OEMs seem to want to shell out the extra money required to build a turbo appropriate engine. And use cheap turbos. But in any event, non-turbo engines run just fine, are less complex, and stressed less. So generally they are more dependable, I'm totally on board with your thinking. But get a 4-cylinder Camry. I have a 2003, and it has 175k miles and no problems. Runs like a swiss watch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mark - As having done design engineering work for Toyota, right alongside Japanese engineers, I can tell you, they are all the good things you've ever heard about Toyota. That's not to say you will never get a bad example. It happens. I can also tell you that from my experience, Toyota puts more effort into the Camry than they do any other vehicle. Including the trucks. But I didn't work on the trucks. And as badass as the Tacoma is, the Camry is better. The Camry may not be the tank that the Tacoma is, but IT IS BETTER. My recommendation is: Get a Camry, if you can. And I agree with no turbo & no CVT.

Turbos can be good and reliable. But the turbo has to be quality (Holset), and the engine has to be built for boost. Not many OEMs seem to want to shell out the extra money required to build a turbo appropriate engine. And use cheap turbos. But in any event, non-turbo engines run just fine, are less complex, and stressed less. So generally they are more dependable, I'm totally on board with your thinking. But get a 4-cylinder Camry. I have a 2003, and it has 175k miles and no problems. Runs like a swiss watch.

I know the Camry is a great car, but I don't care for sedans. I don't see myself ever owning one. I see my Mirage adding another 10+ years to my 2011 Forester. I won't be buying anything soon, & I can justify owing an AWD vehicle where I live. It's nice not having car payments.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-06-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Would you consider a US domestic model, for example the Ford Escape?
    Ford Escape does have the same towing capacity of the RAV4 (1,500-3,500 pounds).

I don't see myself buying a new AWD vehicle. When the time comes to buy something, I will be looking at the used market.

Last edited by Mark; 10-06-2021 at 06:59 PM.