Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your to do list for your Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The electric power steering controller will allow you to adjust how much assist you get from the power steering rack. This mod is an attempt to allow you to feel the road more. A lot of reviews say the Mirage power steering gives way too much assist and I would agree with them. In my oipnion, it disconnects you from the road and makes driving more vague feeling. I prefer a more direct / connected feel.
    I agree 100%. Mind providing a link to it so I can read up some more and possibly order one?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I agree 100%. Mind providing a link to it so I can read up some more and possibly order one?
    There isn't an existing product. I'll be designing it. If people are interested, I'll look into making them as a retail product.

It'll be based off of this Autospeed article: Modifying electric power steering

The same goes for the other mods. I plan on designing them and if people are interested I can put kits together like I did for the MAF sensor housing.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I prefer hydraulic PS over E. My Tundra has hydraulic and it gives a better feel imo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I really feel it depends on the programming. I think some OEMs have done a great job at this while others still need a good amount of work. The Mirage is definitely toward the 'needs work' side IMO, but I don't like the overly assisted feel where others may love it for around town / city driving.

I also think that with SO many variables controlled by software these days, the OEMs should give us options! At this point, with backup cameras mandatory, we now have a programmable touchscreen in every car. So, a few extra menu options and settings are just a bit more programming away. Why shouldn't we be able to adjust how much steering assist we get, or how fast the throttle reacts to throttle input? You can have the best of both worlds if you just let the owner decide how s/he wants their car to feel.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Why shouldn't we be able to adjust how much steering assist we get, or how fast the throttle reacts to throttle input?
    It's just a thought, but I think it's because sometimes folks get confused with too many options. It happens in many industries.

An owner may change some parameter (intentional or otherwise), doesn't like it, can't recall what was changed or if they even changed it, then pesters the dealer to straighten it out.

Who will cover the cost of that?

I'm not advocating for simplifying things - I like your notion of being able to make adjustments to suit a preference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-03-2021)

I'll bring this thread back from the dead.

Now that I "invested" more money into my Mirage than I originally purchased it for I'm thinking of doing what I always said I'd never do...Spend money and time on things I don't need but kinda want for my cheap car.

On that list is:
    - attempt to vinyl wrap some parts of the car. The roof, hood and bumper if I don't loose interest and patience after 5 mins. Was thinking maybe gloss white on the roof and satin black on the rest of the car. Or just black the entire thing. Sticker bomb the spoiler? Or just scuff the paint all up and piss on it and call it welfare patina. I have zero experience with wraps so we'll see if any of that actually happens.
    -lower the seat. I have the height adjustable seat but it's as low as it goes and feels too tall.
    -it'd be nice to find a rockford add on amp and sub. I saw some on ebay a while back but I think I missed the boat. Even a cheap powered bass tube would good enough for me.
    -Might need new tires one year. The 2013 dunlops from my white car are cracked pretty bad. Tires are over rated.

Edit: On second thought...I spotted a rust spot over the rear wheel from behind. I'll let nature take it's course lol

I'll stick to my original plan with this car and not spend (much)money that I don't need to. The engine and transmission don't count, though I could have saved some by going with a lower mileage engine and leaving the old cvt alone.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-01-2021 at 01:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    HID - Headlight- done
    Side mirror led strip- done
    OEM fog lamp with oem switch-done
    rear fog lamp - on progress
    Cruise control - planning
    flip key- for cutting
    OEM PANIC ALARM THRU ETACS-under study
    Horn sound when locking - for coding
    Front Stabilizer bar-for installation

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How does that kats block heater work and can anyone recommend some led headlight bulbs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I need to flush my coolant. I actually ordered some OEM Mitsubishi coolant from one of the online Mitsubishi dealership parts sellers a few months ago and planned to do it over the summer.

I waited for it to arrive. And waited. And waited. Annnnd waaaaited. Finally, I got an email from the dealership telling me they could not ship coolant to me. Not sure why...if I ordered it from Amazon I would get it, right?

I am sure off-the-shelf coolant would work fine, but I haven't gotten around to deciding which to use and getting it yet. Overdue for a gear oil change as well. I thought about doing it on time at 120k, but the oil I drained at 60k looked perfectly good and I figured I would just change it when I replaced the clutch.

At 185k, the clutch still seems to work fine. So the gear oil that has been in there for 125k miles remains in there as well...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I need to flush my coolant. I actually ordered some OEM Mitsubishi coolant from one of the online Mitsubishi dealership parts sellers a few months ago and planned to do it over the summer.

I waited for it to arrive. And waited. And waited. Annnnd waaaaited. Finally, I got an email from the dealership telling me they could not ship coolant to me. Not sure why...if I ordered it from Amazon I would get it, right?

I am sure off-the-shelf coolant would work fine, but I haven't gotten around to deciding which to use and getting it yet. Overdue for a gear oil change as well. I thought about doing it on time at 120k, but the oil I drained at 60k looked perfectly good and I figured I would just change it when I replaced the clutch.

At 185k, the clutch still seems to work fine. So the gear oil that has been in there for 125k miles remains in there as well...
    Asian blue antifreeze seems to be the type -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zerex-Asi...1-GA/613981332

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-01-2021)