Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your to do list for your Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Probably not. I am sure different manufacturers have different, very specific color-coded requirements. But Mitsubishi doesn't seem to?
    What do you base that on?

From the comments, I have the impression Mitsubishi OEM Super Long Life Coolant is Asian Blue -

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...BoC7R8QAvD_BwE

If I search for coolant for my 2017 Mirage, Auto Zone states -

YOUR VEHICLE’S ANTIFREEZE
    This is the recommended coolant type and capacity for your vehicle.
    Color
    Blue
    Please refer to your owner’s manual for complete information.

Likewise, NAPA lists products like -

NAPA OE Asian Vehicle Extended Life Blue 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze
    PEAK OET Asian Vehicle Extended Life Blue Concentrate Antifreeze
    Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze - Important Information: Primary; Blue Formula; 50/50 Prediluted Mix

I am not saying others colors won't work. Some of these part stores will also list universal products, but I don't see the Asian Red formula being recommended for my car at least. If OEM coolant is blue, I plan on sticking with blue. Does it make a big difference? I DON'T KNOW!!!!

"Mitsubishi Super Long Life Coolant can be identified by its light blue color. It is premixed 50/50 with distilled water and used directly from the container with no additional dilution. First change at 90,000 miles or at 90 months, thereafter every 60,000 miles or 60 months."

Last edited by Mark; 10-03-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What do you base that on?

From the comments, I have the impression Mitsubishi OEM Super Long Life Coolant is Asian Blue -

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...BoC7R8QAvD_BwE

If I search for coolant for my 2017 Mirage, Auto Zone states -

YOUR VEHICLE’S ANTIFREEZE
    This is the recommended coolant type and capacity for your vehicle.
    Color
    Blue
    Please refer to your owner’s manual for complete information.

Likewise, NAPA lists products like -

NAPA OE Asian Vehicle Extended Life Blue 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze
    PEAK OET Asian Vehicle Extended Life Blue Concentrate Antifreeze
    Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze - Important Information: Primary; Blue Formula; 50/50 Prediluted Mix

I am not saying others colors won't work. Some of these part stores will also list universal products, but I don't see the Asian Red formula being recommended for my car at least. If OEM coolant is blue, I plan on sticking with blue. Does it make a big difference? I DON'T KNOW!!!!

"Mitsubishi Super Long Life Coolant can be identified by its light blue color. It is premixed 50/50 with distilled water and used directly from the container with no additional dilution. First change at 90,000 miles or at 90 months, thereafter every 60,000 miles or 60 months."
    I am basing it on the fact that Zerex Asian Blue, Zerex Asian Red, and Zerex Asian Green ALL meet Mitsubishi's ES-64217 spec for coolant. Further, Mitsubishi is not listed by name on the front of any of these products, whereas other manufacturers are listed specifically and/or exclusively on one or the other. Amazon's 'Confirmed Fit' feature lists all three as correct for the Mirage.

Let's be honest here. Mitsubishi engines in general...and the 3A92 in particular...aren't very complex. They aren't high tech. They aren't high performance. They aren't going to be used for heavy towing. They don't feature any exotic materials or construction. They don't have cooling systems which run at unusually high operating temperatures like some engines do.

There are cooling systems out there that can be damaged or severely gunked up if the wrong coolant is used. This does not seem to be the case with Mitsubishi, and that is a good thing.

I am obviously going to replace blue coolant with blue coolant. But the 3A92 is '90s tech. It is no real surprise to me that apparently any modern coolant will do just fine.

Amazon lmao

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Amazon lmao
    I know, I know. I never buy anything from them. But they aren't wrong here...the red, blue, and green all meet Mitsubishi specs.

I know.,they are all p hoats coolant.
    https://irontite.com/additives/about...-for-your-car/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I know.,they are all p hoats coolant.
    https://irontite.com/additives/about...-for-your-car/
    Yep. FSM says that is all these cars really need.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Get one of these Name:  vw bug.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  61.8 KB or one of these Name:  Tatra.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  99.1 KB & never worry about coolant again
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Get one of these Name:  vw bug.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  61.8 KB or one of these Name:  Tatra.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  99.1 KB & never worry about coolant again
    Anyone ever drive an air-cooled engine VW Bug in the dead of winter @ -20f or colder?

I'm sure it can be done, but I would dress warm!

Since Mitsubishi Super Long Life Coolant is blue, it's what I recommend which the subject comes up.

It's not like blue coolant is way more expensive than red coolant.

The PEAK brand of coolant also lists Mitsubishi vehicles (even the older Mirages are included) on the front of the jug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-Orig...Blue/372424992

The red seems to be more of a Toyota/Scion/Lexus product, but I am not going to claim to know the difference. If I own a Toyota, I grab a red jug off the shelf. If I own a Mitsubishi, I grab a blue jug. Beyond that, I leave my brain cells available for other more important matters.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-Orig...Pink/559545127

Even though I don't know the differences, the differece does dictate companies making both red & blue Asian coolants. I also see Mitsubishi on some of the green coolants, too!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-ORIG...reen/786347351

I don't mean to be jerk on the subject. I just don't see a reason to substitute coolant with an alternative color when Blue coolant has become more readily available. Early on I was only aware of the Valvoline, but more brands have appeared.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I Just flushed/filled my cooling system using the Peak "Asian Vehicles" blue coolant.

Quick tip if you buy this stuff:

Most stores only sell this in a 50/50 pre-mixed gallon (on the right below). AutoZone also sells this in a concentrate gallon for an additional $3. You may have to ask for it because it's not usually on the shelf...but they can get it from their warehouse.

Name:  Peak Mitsubishi Coolant.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  72.7 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-03-2021 at 05:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-03-2021)

That’s a first. I’ve only been able to find the blue stuff premixed.