Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your to do list for your Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a list saved on my phone of things I have done, planned and purchased. Here is where I am at as of today:

Weighted shift knob - gift
    All around tints - $340 (gift) done
    Vinyl wrap hood - $40 + self install done
    Cold air intake $120 + self install done
    15" wheel + tire upgrade - $1100 done

Front weather tech floor mats - $160
    Slotted rotors - purchased
    Ceramic brake pads - purchased
    Rear bumper LED lights - purchased
    Fog lights - $70 + self install
    Full exhaust upgrade - $1200?
    Paint calipers & drums - $40
    Coilovers - $600-800 + self install
    Upgrade spark plugs - $$?
    Upgrade fuel injectors - $$?
    Strut/sway bar - $140 each? + self install
    Sound upgrade - RF $600 + install
    Spoiler - Forum/eBay + self install?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candicemaayy For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-04-2021),inuvik (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’ve only been able to find the blue stuff premixed.
    Around here you have to go out of your way to find it. I've never seen it at Wally World or those kinds of places.

Based on the system capacity, most of us would be OK just draining out the radiator and filling it back up with 1 gallon of 50/50. But for an extra $3 (and a $0.79 gallon of distilled water) you can make 2 gallons of 50/50. I just can't bring myself to pay extra for the "convenience" of pre-mixed coolant. Whoever invented that concept is a moron...and a marketing genius.

Name:  coolant_capacity.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  63.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Around here you have to go out of your way to find it. I've never seen it at Wally World or those kinds of places.

Based on the system capacity, most of us would be OK just draining out the radiator and filling it back up with 1 gallon of 50/50. But for an extra $3 (and a $0.79 gallon of distilled water) you can make 2 gallons of 50/50. I just can't bring myself to pay extra for the "convenience" of pre-mixed coolant. Whoever invented that concept is a moron...and a marketing genius.

Name:  coolant_capacity.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  63.9 KB
    I notice the full concentrate blue coolant when I comparing types earlier today. Good thing to point out!

One gallon of concentrate would get the job done. If lived in Canada, I would consider a 60/40 mixture, too!

*The required concentration of anti-freeze differs depending on the expected ambient temperature.
    Above -31 °F (-35 °C) : 50 % concentration of anti-freeze
    Below -31 °F (-35 °C) : 60 % concentration of anti-freeze

*taken from a 2017 warranty & maintenance manual.

I’ve always just mixed 50-50. Hasn’t seen anything freeze up yet. It got down to -42c here last January.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’ve always just mixed 50-50. Hasn’t seen anything freeze up yet. It got down to -42c here last January.
    I realize that, & I am sure most do a 50/50 mix. If I was making my own mix from concentrate, I may make it a bit higher concentrate to be safe.

Filling gallon containers with half water must have filled pockets of coolant companies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I Just flushed/filled my cooling system using the Peak "Asian Vehicles" blue coolant.

Quick tip if you buy this stuff:

Most stores only sell this in a 50/50 pre-mixed gallon (on the right below). AutoZone also sells this in a concentrate gallon for an additional $3. You may have to ask for it because it's not usually on the shelf...but they can get it from their warehouse.

Attachment 22204
    Yep, they can get it for you. But you gotta order it. Fcuk paying $10 for half a gallon of distilled water! This is probably the one I will go with. The Mirage is listed right on the front of the jug!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yep, they can get it for you. But you gotta order it. Fcuk paying $10 for half a gallon of distilled water! This is probably the one I will go with. The Mirage is listed right on the front of the jug!
    When the time comes, I will pick up the Peak OET Antifreeze/Coolant Asian Vehicles Blue CONCENTRATE *5 Year/150K Mile Protection* 1 Gallon, too!

I sort of like a 60/40 mix myself (or slightly above 50%).

Looks like Honda has been using this Asian Blue formula since 1990, according to the jug.

I am glad more options exist, and this seems to be a good one!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Regarding DIY coolant mixing, how would someone measure this out? I can see problems with simply adding the coolant concentrate to the radiator then filling up with water. Just asking for how different folks approach this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dad always had a spare empty coolant jug laying around...

I just bought a dollar gallon pitcher from DG and wrote in Sharpie "ANTIFREEZE!!! DONT USE FOR KOOLAID!"
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Regarding DIY coolant mixing, how would someone measure this out? I can see problems with simply adding the coolant concentrate to the radiator then filling up with water. Just asking for how different folks approach this.
    I have been doing what someone here appropriately called 'the lazy man's coolant flush' for the last few days. Drained all the original coolant by removing the petcock from the radiator and collected it for proper disposal. Refilled with distilled water. Drove for a day. Repeat. Drove for another day. Repeat.

I think I am on my fourth drain-and-fill now. I will measure how much I drain out this last time. What comes out now should be well over 95% distilled water. The last drain was crystal clear and only smelled faintly of antifreeze.

The entire capacity of the MT cooling system is 4.2 quarts (CVT is 4.8). This even includes the overflow tank! If I measure 1/2 gallon when I drain I will need to add half a jug of coolant concentrate to get to 50/50 since half a gallon of water must still in the system. If I measure 3/4 gallon when I drain, then I need to add 1/2 gallon of concentrate and re-add 1/4 gallon of distilled water. Half a gallon is probably a pretty close guess. I bought a 2.5 gallon container of distilled water for this project, and after four flushes less than a gallon is left.

It doesn't get particularly cold around here, so this should be close enough. That's the plan, anyway...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-05-2021)