Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Speedometer is fast, 2nd Mirage with same problem

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    9
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    my 2019 is about 5km fast at 100kph but my odometer is dead on, so its only the needle for me
    ( i checked with with gps, obd2 reader and various software for checking.)



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to nutpantz For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (08-23-2019)

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    668
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 458 Times in 251 Posts
    At 100km/h my speedo says 107km/h, which is not only conform with the law, but also is exactly in the middle of what laws mandate.

    According to EU-Directive 75/443/EWG and other regulations, it all boils down to this:

    Allowed tolerance is +7% to -0%, plus 4km/h.

    Otherwise said, the speedo of a car moving exactly 100km/h may indicate 114km/h and be conform with law, but may not display less than 104km/h.

    .
    Last edited by foama; 08-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    BeanSproutExpress (08-26-2019)

  5. #13
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 171 Times in 126 Posts
    What size tires are you using?

  6. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,563
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 505 Times in 396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    At 100km/h my speedo says 107km/h, which is not only conform with the law, but also is exactly in the middle of what laws mandate.

    According to EU-Directive 75/443/EWG and other regulations, it all boils down to this:

    Allowed tolerance is +7% to -0%, plus 4km/h.

    Otherwise said, the speedo of a car moving exactly 100km/h may indicate 114km/h and be conform with law, but may not display less than 104km/h.

    .
    From previous discussions, we know only factory size tires are allowed in your country. It's a stiff penalty to do otherwise.

    Clarification on what you just shared -

    You can't have a speedometer that displays the precise speed of the vehicle?

    7% of 100 is 7, and 7 + 4 = 11. From what you shared, wouldn't the range be 104-111 km/h, instead of 104-114 km/h?

    Does your government actually follow up with these strict laws?
    Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2019 at 04:16 PM.

  7. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,563
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 505 Times in 396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    At 100km/h my speedo says 107km/h, which is not only conform with the law, but also is exactly in the middle of what laws mandate.

    According to EU-Directive 75/443/EWG and other regulations, it all boils down to this:

    Allowed tolerance is +7% to -0%, plus 4km/h.

    Otherwise said, the speedo of a car moving exactly 100km/h may indicate 114km/h and be conform with law, but may not display less than 104km/h.

    .
    I found an article that answers my own questions. The allowance is 110% plus 4 km/h. Thus, that is where your 114 km/h maximum comes from.

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle11487709/

    From this article, the range would be 100 - 114 km/h, unless the +4 applies regardless? .
    Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2019 at 04:33 PM.

  8. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    668
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 458 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What size tires are you using?
    Strictly stock size 165/65R14 , anything else would be illegal here.



    Btw, 175/65r14 compared to the stock 165/65r14 would be 2.3% more rolling circumference. Nice to have, but impossible here.
    Last edited by foama; 08-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.

  9. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    668
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 458 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    From previous discussions, we know only factory size tires are allowed in your country. It's a stiff penalty to do otherwise.

    Clarification on what you just shared -

    You can't have a speedometer that displays the precise speed of the vehicle?

    7% of 100 is 7, and 7 + 4 = 11. From what you shared, wouldn't the range be 104-111 km/h, instead of 104-114 km/h?

    Does your government actually follow up with these strict laws?


    No, you can't have a speedometer that displays the precise speed of the vehicle!


    Mark said:
    7% of 100 is 7, and 7 + 4 = 11. From what you shared, wouldn't the range be 104-111 km/h, instead of 104-114 km/h?


    In short, its all been changed!
    Rechecking EU-Directive 75/443/EWG and a few others I found out for harmonization reasons they were all replaced by Directive R39.
    The "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations" harmonized vehicle regulations in all 62 member countries. Recommendation 39 (R39) applies to speedometers. The member countries do not yet include the US or Canada. However, both USA and Canada are parties to the "UN Agreement concerning the Establishing of Global Technical Regulations for Wheeled Vehicles, Equipment and Parts which can be fitted and/or be used on Wheeled Vehicles". Following its mission to harmonize regulations, the UNECE solved issues ... preventing non-signatory Countries to the 1958 Agreement to fully participate to its activities. Wikipedia has more.

    In short, R39 says a speedometer must never show less than the actual speed, and displayed speed is allowed to be 10% more than actual plus 4km/h
    That would make a car at 100km/h display anything between 104km/h to 114km/h and be legal.





    Does the government actually follow up with these strict laws?

    These regulations are followed up very strictly by all organisations. Every car, new or old must be compliant at all times.
    If your car is involved in a traffic accident and the police comes, they will always(!) record tyre size, sort of tyres and how much tread was left. Then they will begin recording the accident. If anything on the car is not legal, the accident is automatically the drivers fault, but in some rare occasions it is only declared partly the drivers fault, for example if your car was parked at the time of the accident.
    At the regular mandatory safety and emission inspections, they check everything you can think of, and it takes them about an hour, usually two persons at it. Anything non-stock must have its own individual typ approval, and you have to produce written certification to authorities on the spot. If not, you car is impounded. If you still can not produce written certification, they refer it to the prosecuting attorney, and you are charged with illegally driving a not insured car, automatically loose your license, are summond to court and receive the status of being convicted of a crime. If your job were with a public organisation (water works, teacher, public servant, etc.) it would be lost, because of your convicted status.
    Last edited by foama; 08-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.

  10. #18
    Senior Member timw4mail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    No, you can't have a speedometer that displays the precise speed of the vehicle!


    Mark said:
    7% of 100 is 7, and 7 + 4 = 11. From what you shared, wouldn't the range be 104-111 km/h, instead of 104-114 km/h?


    In short, its all been changed!
    Rechecking EU-Directive 75/443/EWG and a few others I found out for harmonization reasons they were all replaced by Directive R39.
    The "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations" harmonized vehicle regulations in all 62 member countries. Recommendation 39 (R39) applies to speedometers. The member countries do not yet include the US or Canada. However, both USA and Canada are parties to the "UN Agreement concerning the Establishing of Global Technical Regulations for Wheeled Vehicles, Equipment and Parts which can be fitted and/or be used on Wheeled Vehicles". Following its mission to harmonize regulations, the UNECE solved issues ... preventing non-signatory Countries to the 1958 Agreement to fully participate to its activities. Wikipedia has more.

    In short, R39 says a speedometer must never show less than the actual speed, and displayed speed is allowed to be 10% more than actual plus 4km/h
    That would make a car at 100km/h display anything between 104km/h to 114km/h and be legal.





    Does the government actually follow up with these strict laws?

    These regulations are followed up very strictly by all organisations. Every car, new or old must be compliant at all times.
    If your car is involved in a traffic accident and the police comes, they will always(!) record tyre size, sort of tyres and how much tread was left. Then they will begin recording the accident. If anything on the car is not legal, the accident is automatically the drivers fault, but in some rare occasions it is only declared partly the drivers fault, for example if your car was parked at the time of the accident.
    At the regular mandatory safety and emission inspections, they check everything you can think of, and it takes them about an hour, usually two persons at it. Anything non-stock must have its own individual typ approval, and you have to produce written certification to authorities on the spot. If not, you car is impounded. If you still can not produce written certification, they refer it to the prosecuting attorney, and you are charged with illegally driving a not insured car, automatically loose your license, are summond to court and receive the status of being convicted of a crime. If your job were with a public organisation (water works, teacher, public servant, etc.) it would be lost, because of your convicted status.
    How Draconian! Tires I absolutely understand in terms of condition. So basically regular driving is like a spec racing series?


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •