Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer is fast, 2nd Mirage with same problem

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    To summarize, mandatory compliance to both the

1.) "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations" recommendation 39
    and
    2.) the identical UNECE R39

mandates the speed to be displayed as at least the actual speed plus 4%
    and up to the actual speed +14%

Therefore a vehicle at 100km/h or mph must have a displayed speed of at least 104 and up to a max of 114. If not, the vehicle can not be marketed legally.

I personally think 175/65R14 is a good alternative if the OEM size is unobtainable, though it is illegal in some countries.

Last edited by foama; 11-28-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    To summarize, mandatory compliance to both the

1.) "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations" recommendation 39
    and
    2.) the identical UNECE R39

mandates the speed to be displayed as at least the actual speed plus 4%
    and up to the actual speed +14%

Therefore a vehicle at 100km/h or mph must have a displayed speed of at least 104 and up to a max of 114. If not, the vehicle can not be marketed legally.

I personally think 175/65R14 is a good alternative if the OEM size is unobtainable, though it is illegal in some countries.
    It is good that many manufacturers are ignoring such nonsense. The pilot of anything needs accurate information. He does NOT need phony indications engineered to "keep him safe."
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    It is good that many manufacturers are ignoring such nonsense. The pilot of anything needs accurate information. He does NOT need phony indications engineered to "keep him safe."
    Automobile manufacturers cannot ignore these regulations if they want to sell automobiles.

The US may not require speedometers to show faster than actual speed, but other countries do.

US federal regulation on speedometer accuracy
    § 393.82 Speedometer.

Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).
    The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 (UK)
    19 Speedometers

1. The vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer capable of indicating speed in mph at uniform intervals not exceeding 20 mph at all speeds up to the maximum speed of the vehicle and capable of being read by the driver at all times of the day or night.

2. For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.

3. For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed—

V/10 + 6.25 mph

where V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So can I plead this ticket down I got last Wednesday for inaccurate speedometer? He got me dead to rights as I was passing someone parked in the left lane. Funniest part of the citation was the trooper ask "you drive this car all the time"? Never been asked that at a traffic stop before. I Cautiously answered "yeah, every day", to which he replied "I bet you get pretty good mileage in this; what do you get"? I laughed and said "well, when I'm not speeding 46-48 MPG". And he saw it can get up and go...maybe I made a sale?Name:  1127211143~6.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  82.0 KB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (11-29-2021),Alpha_One (11-29-2021),mohammad (11-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    So can I plead this ticket down I got last Wednesday for inaccurate speedometer?
    94 mph? Impressive. You can plead your case but knowing your speedometer reads higher than actual will work against you.

So was your speedometer reading around 100mph?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Automobile manufacturers cannot ignore these regulations if they want to sell automobiles.

The US may not require speedometers to show faster than actual speed, but other countries do.

US federal regulation on speedometer accuracy

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 (UK)
    Apparently many are ignoring. Both KIA Sedona speedos exactly agreed with GPS. Don't yet have GPS in Mirage...
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Apparently many are ignoring. Both KIA Sedona speedos exactly agreed with GPS. Don't yet have GPS in Mirage...
    Many? With Kia Sedonas as your example?

In any case their accuracy is in accordance with US law. Other jurisdictions may require different calibrations. Most vehicles I have driven had speedometers that read higher than actual speed. I never lost any sleep over it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    So can I plead this ticket down I got last Wednesday for inaccurate speedometer? He got me dead to rights as I was passing someone parked in the left lane. Funniest part of the citation was the trooper ask "you drive this car all the time"? Never been asked that at a traffic stop before. I Cautiously answered "yeah, every day", to which he replied "I bet you get pretty good mileage in this; what do you get"? I laughed and said "well, when I'm not speeding 46-48 MPG". And he saw it can get up and go...maybe I made a sale?Name:  1127211143~6.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  82.0 KB
    Ooof, what's the potential fine for this in Ohio?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ooof, what's the potential fine for this in Ohio?
    Looking at $119 and 2 points on my license for 2 years. Possible insurance rate increase. I do believe that is my highest speed citation in 4 decades of driving. I need to slow down, admittedly. Don't do as I do, kids. A few years ago I would have been more upset about it, but in the last 3 month's Ive buried 2 brothers d/t covid, and had double pneumonia from it myself. It tends to alter your perspective on whats important. Enjoy every moment and every sandwich! Don't sweat the small stuff.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-29-2021),mohammad (11-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Looking at $119 and 2 points on my license for 2 years. Possible insurance rate increase. I do believe that is my highest speed citation in 4 decades of driving. I need to slow down, admittedly. Don't do as I do, kids. A few years ago I would have been more upset about it, but in the last 3 month's Ive buried 2 brothers d/t covid, and had double pneumonia from it myself. It tends to alter your perspective on whats important. Enjoy every moment and every sandwich! Don't sweat the small stuff.
    "Boy, you're in a whole HEAP o' trouble." But actually $119 is pretty cheap.

Sorry to you about your brothers. My brother died 11 years ago (hard to believe). Then my mother (2019) and my father (2021) earlier this year. I have an older sister, but that's all I have left. Hard to believe it's just her and I.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)