Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

I'd let the dealer do it if you have warranty. Although I'd do it myself if it were mine, I'm always able to find a loose or missing bolt when I look over work done by shops or dealers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Hmmm...

Name:  heatermatrix.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  59.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-02-2018),Fummins (01-02-2018)

Learn something new everyday!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I made an appointment for a $99 diagnostic at my local Mitsubishi dealer. The service manager starting telling me all the reasons why it could be my fault that the heater isn't working. I should get my borescope before the appt. what should I document before going as to avoid getting ripped off?
    Last edited by 01-7700; 01-02-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    That is hugely helpful Pilchardfish! Thank you for posting that information. Now we know what the issues is, and we'll just have to come up with our own solution (for those of us not under warranty).

I agree, seeing a TSB or something would also be very helpful. Did you get any documentation with your warranty work that may be helpful to us?
    Only thing I'm unsure of is whether Mitsubishi admit it's a known fault; or if it's just that the dealer themselves have seen so many that it's a known issue to them hah. Apparently the other week they had two Mirages in both with dashboards out at the same time.

This past few weeks, I've not been able to get the cabin anywhere near "hot" in the recent cold snap we've had. Dealer did say it's strange I hadn't noticed it sooner; however unless it's freezing, I only ever have the heater on warm. Past couple of winters have been quite average, nothing too extreme.

I'm not due to have it in the workshop for a couple of weeks due to work commitments I've got to work around; but if I find out any more after the work's done, I'll share it

Good luck working on a solution, and hope you find a TSB.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pilchardfish For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    When you go in, could you ask for more details? There are a bunch of us that will be having to fix this out of warranty, and any help would be very welcome. If its a heater core problem, or the plastic shroud, or flapper valves, etc. The more direction and information we can get the better. You've already shed a ton of light on it, and that is much appreciated!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    I'm thinking the heater matrix is the airbox that has the flappers and holds the heater core, evaporator, and PTC heater.
    Hey. I think it's the part you discuss earlier in the thread, the "heat core", with the combs of metal through which the air is pulled and heated. Not the entire heater / control unit; just the bit that looks like a radiator.

Different country, different terms Fender / bonnet, Trunk / boot scenario ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pilchardfish For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-02-2018)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    When you go in, could you ask for more details? There are a bunch of us that will be having to fix this out of warranty, and any help would be very welcome. If its a heater core problem, or the plastic shroud, or flapper valves, etc. The more direction and information we can get the better. You've already shed a ton of light on it, and that is much appreciated!
    Absolutely, no problem. I'll try and find out more detail and will post back later in the month .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pilchardfish For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    When you go in, could you ask for more details?
    You've already shed a ton of light on it, and that is much appreciated!
    Yeah...this is great info for sure!

Based on what pilchardfish is saying, it sounds like this could be one of those issues that everyone needs to look out for (rear alignment, anyone? ). I'm going to start monitoring my situation more closely and make sure the dealer documents my concern BEFORE my bumper to bumper warranty expires.

If the heater core AND evaporator have to come out of the car to swap the heater core, this job will be a pain in the butt for a DIY repair.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    It would be good to know if the corrosion is on the inside or outside of the heater matrix / core.

Thanks pilchardfish!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)