Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Yeah...that's what I'm thinking. I just hope the Mitsubishi Tech Line is aware of the problem and can explain it to my dealer. I can see me being the first Mirage heater core complaint they've ever seen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

If they do it, double check their work. I just found a disconnected breather hose behind the air cleaner and a cross-threaded shifter cable bracket bolt on the car they replaced the cvt in months ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wrote up the heater core replacement DIY here:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...re-replacement
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the attention of someone at corporate Mitsubishi (that's another story ) and I'm trying to explain in simple terms how a dealer tech would use a specific set of steps to identify this problem in a Mirage.

Here's what I came up with. Let me know what you guys would change. The idea is to keep the test simple and concise.

Identifying Low Heat Output Condition in a Mirage

1. Place an HVAC thermometer in the left/right instrument panel vents as shown below

Name:  lr.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  29.1 KB

2. Set the heat temperature on the highest setting

3. Set the fresh air mode on

4. Set the blower speed to 75%

5. Drive the vehicle at a steady cruising speed of 40+ mph.
      Verify the vehicle has reached full operating temperature (195°+ F)

6. Monitor the air temperature readings from both vents

Mirages with a low heat concern will exhibit these symptoms

• The left vent temperature is 25° F (or more) above the right vent temperature
    • Both vent temperatures are unable to reach a minimum of 120° F above the ambient temperature

NOTES:

• The vehicle must be driven for an accurate test (do not just idle the engine)
    • The vehicle must be tested during cold conditions for accurate results (32° F ambient or below)

Doax...what do you think about this as a symptom? I was trying to figure out some way to tie the test to the outside temperature.

Both vent temperatures are unable to reach a minimum of 120° F above the ambient temperature

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think what you have is pretty good, and should work just fine.

If I was going to tweak it, this is what I'd do. I wouldn't say driving at 40+ mph is necessary. Revving the engine in idle should suffice. At least it did for me. I think saying you have to do it below X temperature is a good idea. It obviously gets worse the colder it gets. I would also say put the fan to 100%.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    ...I wouldn't say driving at 40+ mph is necessary. Revving the engine in idle should suffice.
    I've never tested my car by just letting it sit there and idle. I guess the real thing is to get the RPMs up to get the coolant circulating.

I think saying you have to do it below X temperature is a good idea.
    My car was at the dealer last week and they were unable to duplicate my "low heat" complaint the first time because all they did was start the car and let it sit inside the 70F shop idling.

Have you taken any readings lately since replacing your heater core? If it's 0° F outside (like it is here today), I assume your car could easily put out 130°+ from both vents?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not taken any new temperature tests. But, I can do that tonight when I get home.

I imagine there will be some temperature variance from side to side. But, we'll see how it really is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the temperature variation is less important than the max temp observed from any vent.

Do the test on a cold day because otherwise you won't be able to demonstrate that there is a problem.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I think the temperature variation is less important than the max temp observed from any vent.
    I mentioned the variation because it is extreme in the cases where you guys have replaced heater cores. Doax had a 46 degree variation from side to side...and yours was something like 60 degrees. There is no explanation for that...other than a restricted heater core.

Wallythacker is the only one to post results from a newer Mirage (2017 with under 5K miles) and his left/right temps at 38F were 166 and 162. That tells me a few degrees of variation may be normal...but 25 or more indicates a problem.

The reason I mention this is that I just learned an important lesson that I will be posting about soon... If you have low-heat symptoms but you don't have a slam-dunk case ready for the dealer to easily duplicate, you are going to be met with the following explanation:

"A variation of heat temperatures from the left/right vents is a normal characteristic of the Mirage."

Ummm...right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealerships are good at explaining things that cannot be explained.

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2019)