Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I tested my vents when I got to work this morning. Ambient temperature when I left home was 18F. I have a 25 minute commute. My coolant temperature was 190F when I started the test, and 177F when I ended the test. The test took only a few minutes. I used the multimeter I've shown previously. It has a k-type thermocouple to measure temperature. Once I got to work, I put it in neutral, put the heat to 89 and fan to max. I inserted the temp probe in the far passenger side and the temperature got up to 137F. I then moved it to the driver's side and it got up to 137F. Granted, the coolant temperature was dropping. So, if I could measure both, I would have to say that the driver's side is probably 1-2F, and maybe 3F at the maximum. I then tested it again. I moved the temperature probe to the passenger side again and it went up to 135F. Then, again to the driver's side and got 134-135F.

I'd say if you have more than 10F variation, you definitely have an issue. A small issue at that point, but an issue.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'd say if you have more than 10F variation, you definitely have an issue.
    Thanks for running that test! Based on the testing of a low-mileage 2017 and your recent tests, I agree. A Mirage with a "clean" heater core should not have a significant (10+ degrees) variation from side to side.

My car would not produce anywhere near 137 on the passenger side if it was 18F outside. I'm probably a good 25 degrees below that.

My latest testing numbers are probably on the high side. One thing I wasn't watching was my coolant temperature. I run all my tests at a 60 mph cruising speed. With a 100% grill block and 12 degree ambient temperatures yesterday, my coolant temperature would reach 205+ with the engine under a slight load. Take away the grill block and my coolant temps would drop to 195. Not a big deal, but the grill block is probably making my heat output warmer than it actually is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I decided to test my heater output tonight, while on the way home from work. 14 deg F, 45-50 mph, temp set to 89, max fan and all output coming from the top vents. Got a reading of 147 on the far left drivers side vent & 111 on the far right passenger vsnt. Looks like I probably have an issue too. 2014 ES model.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-31-2019),Top_Fuel (01-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    ...I decided to test my heater output tonight
    ...14 deg F, 45-50 mph, temp set to 89, max fan and all output coming from the top vents
    ...147 on the far left drivers side vent & 111 on the far right passenger vent
    Congratulations...you've got it the classic symptoms:

1. Low temperature output on passenger side
    2. Wide (20+ degree) temperature spread between the driver/passenger side

In a place like Virginia you might be fine 360 days of the year. Are you still covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty?

So for the heck of it, I ran the same test in one of my other cars. I have a 1-owner 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse (2.0 non-turbo) that we bought brand new. It has 170,000 miles and has its original heater core. When I run this test in that car (close to 0F outside), I get almost 150F from all the vents...and the temperature actually gets hotter on the passenger side. This is what you would expect since that's where the heater core is located!

Here's a pic for Eggman... Hate to see the car this dirty but this is the best I can come up with right now...

Name:  1999 Eclipse 001.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  97.8 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-31-2019 at 05:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-01-2019),inuvik (02-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have a 1-owner 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse (2.0 non-turbo) that we bought brand new.
    Pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No warranty on mine. I picked this car up as an insurance total and rehabbed it by hanging a drivers fender and door, reworking the driver rear door, and an complete repaint. Only thing I can get done is safety recalls. So far I've experienced the starter issue, and now this. Both can be expensive. I guess when the cvt trans goes, I'll just part it out and get something else. Thank God I haven't had the axle problem too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remember the Dexcool mess? Some of Dexcool's issues were supposedly caused by exposure to air. The manufacturer of Dexcool was very specific about making sure the cooling system was properly bled when filled. Maybe something similar is going on here?

I can see a scenario where our cars weren't properly bled at the factory...then they sit for weeks/months in transport and on a dealer lot before they are driven on a regular basis...and an air pocket in the heater core finally makes its way out.

There is a TSB for how to flush Dexcool systems that have sludged up. It mentions a specific part number for the flush/cleaner...GM Part Number 12346500 (Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner). This is not the liquid "Super-Flush" stuff you buy at the parts store. It's much stronger. This stuff came in a POWDER form in a yellow Prestone container (like a Pringles chip can). It contained 2 materials:

9 dry oz of Oxalic Acid (acid/cleaner)
    2 dry oz of Sodium Carbonate (neutralizer)

Prestone made it for GM...but has since been discontinued.

Supposedly the following 2 materials can be used to duplicate Prestone's product:

Acid/cleaner: Wood bleach
    Neutralizer: Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
    I'm interested in learning more about this Dexcool problem when exposed to air as I suspect the Mirage heater core *might* not get fully filled with water - trapped air pockets might bring about the same problem?

I found this video and the Dexcool clog looks different from what Tim found in his:

If air pockets in the heater core cause the gelatinous goo Tim found, I would want to make sure the heater core is fully flooded and purged of air before connecting those hoses.

Which brings up another question: if this is happening to the heater core, could it happen to the radiator and other bits? Hey Fummins, what have you found inside your busted radiators? (Forgive me if this has been answered.)
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-17-2019 at 04:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's what Cummins Filtration has to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins Filtration
    Cummins Filtration offers two types of cleaners to keep your cooling system in top condition. Both Restore™ and Restore Plus™ remove contaminants without harming metal surfaces, gaskets, hoses or plastic parts. They are also approved by Cummins® as the preferred product for cleaning oil contaminated cooling systems under warranty maintenance.

Restore
    Alkaline-Based Cleaner
    Most Effective Cooling System Oil/Fuel Contamination-Cleaning Agent on Market
    Removes Silicate Gel
    10 Times More Effective than Automotive Distributor Detergent Powders
    Safe for Use in Aluminum Radiators and Heaters

Restore Plus
    Mild Acid-Based Chelating Cleaner
    Safely Removes Rust, Corrosion, Scale, and Solder Bloom - Without Disassembling your Cooling System
    Emphasis added because it looks like silicate gel from here.

Attached are:
    LT36625 Cummins Restore & Restore Plus Coolant Cleaners cut sheet and
    LT36442 Cummins Coolant Best Practices
    Good reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

foama (11-20-2020),inuvik (12-17-2019),poorman1 (12-18-2019),Top_Fuel (12-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Emphasis added because it looks like silicate gel from here.
    Wow...that looks like a potential solution since that goo on Doax's core looks like a gel of some sort...

Name:  goo.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  55.5 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow...that looks like a potential solution since that goo on Doax's core looks like a gel of some sort...

Name:  goo.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  55.5 KB
    But wait - there's more:

Silicate Gelation in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Cooling Systems
    Quote Originally Posted by SAE International
    SAE Technical Paper: Silicate Gelation in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Cooling Systems

Technical Paper 852327
    ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
    DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/852327
    Published December 1, 1985 by SAE International in United States
    This content contains downloadable datasets
    Annotation ability available

Sector: Automotive
    Event: 3rd International Pacific Conference on Automotive Engineering (1985)
    Language: English

Abstract
    Silica gel formation in heavy duty diesel cooling systems has increased with the increased usage of antifreeze with high levels of silicate. Gelation can occur when this type of antifreeze is mixed with supplemental coolant additives which are required to protect heavy duty diesel engine cooling systems, or when the undiluted antifreeze is stored for long periods. Gel in the cooling system can decrease coolant flow and heat transfer causing engine overheating.

Gel formation is shown to be a chemical problem, not a problem of newer engine and cooling system design. Recommendations for avoiding the problem are included.
    Notice the date this was published!

Last edited by Eggman; 12-17-2019 at 06:24 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-17-2019)