Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Is that gunk deposit more like calcium scale in a water boiler, or gooey/slimey a bit like jello like from adding a small amount of a wrong sort of antifreeze?

I know you bought it used, but can you confirm or try to find out if someone added some (wrong or different sort of) antifreeze?
    He says it's "like thin Vaseline", which means it is some sort of emulsion. Honestly, I was expecting a blockage which was more crystalline in nature.

Mine was purchased new, and has the same problem. So it is likely not a problem with an incorrect antifreeze added by a previous owner. One thing I have wondered: does the replacement OEM heater core have a different part number, or did Mitsubishi change the antifreeze they are using in order to solve this problem? The only part number I can find is 7801A953, and I can't find any mention of an earlier part number that this part number superseded. Did they just change how these heater cores are manufactured without changing the part number?

Sheeesh...what is it with new cars and 'sludge problems' nowadays??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car was also purchased new and I didn't add any antifreeze. The only engine maintenance done other than my oil changes was 1 oil change at the dealer. When I had my core replaced they gave me the same reason... "Someone added the wrong coolant" - Well, if someone did it would have been the dealer which could be true or (more likely) it sounds like their standard BS answer.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    My car was also purchased new and I didn't add any antifreeze. The only engine maintenance done other than my oil changes was 1 oil change at the dealer. When I had my core replaced they gave me the same reason... "Someone added the wrong coolant" - Well, if someone did it would have been the dealer which could be true or (more likely) it sounds like their standard BS answer.
    Mine has never had the coolant changed...or even touched...by anyone over the course of 100,000 miles. Honestly, I don't know that I have ever even taken the radiator cap off. This is a Mitsubishi screw-up. At least they are covering it under warranty.

Goopy heater cores may well be the result of a problem with the coolant, but the problem is definitely with the factory-fill coolant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Fantastic detective work!!!

I'm wondering if there's something going on with their manufacturing process. Maybe this is some leftover material or manufacturing by-product?

I'm thinking that it's not an anti-freeze issue. If it was, I would expect the radiator to have the same funky goo in it since it's made of the same material as the heater core and you would expect it to react in the same way. Also...my car has never had the anti-freeze touched since the car was new...and mine is showing the same symptoms of Doax's car.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mitsubishi probably knows what the root cause is...but we're not going to see a TSB on it because not enough people will notice it before their warranty runs out. So it's like the rear axle problem...but it's buried in your dash.

I would also be curious to know if anything will dissolve this stuff?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Hey guys. Yes, its like a very thin grease. It is soft and gel like, not hard at all. There is no grit in it from the little bit that I touched it.

I do plan on trying different solvents to see what will remove it. I think I may also contact a coolant company or two to see if they have any helpful tips.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (10-03-2018),Cobrajet (10-04-2018),Top_Fuel (10-03-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    If the gunk is like "thin vaseline", I would suspect the antifreeze as the cause.

Said that, if my coolant were the untouched OEM stuff, I would change the coolant asap to a reliable brand!

The world's largest antifreeze maker is BASF, they supply most car makers with "their" OEM stuff, and also sell it themselves under the Glysantin brand. They specify formulation G30 for our cars. I have it in mine, and it is violet in colour.

see: https://www.glysantin.de/en/product-finder

Then again, if the gunk is like thin vaseline, there might be a good chance of completely removing it from the heater core by directly clamping a regular gardening hose on it, and turning it on full blast for flushing it out.
    Last edited by foama; 10-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Hey guys. Yes, its like a very thin grease. It is soft and gel like, not hard at all. There is no grit in it from the little bit that I touched it.
    This description makes me think of seal conditioners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, I have no idea what it is... I find it odd that it gets caked on the OUTLET side of things vs the inlet. I kind of think that Fummins is correct that there may have been an air pocket and that caused the formation of the gunk. However, I'm hoping that talking with coolant companies will shed some light on it.

That all being said, I am looking for suggestions on what to try to use to dissolve this stuff. Post your suggestions below and I'll give them a shot!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    charcoal lighter fluid
    brake cleaner
    moonshine
    Last edited by 01-7700; 10-03-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, ammonia, chlorine bleach. Not all at once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)