Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I came across some interesting information regarding this corrosion, though from a different angle. Have a look at the attached documents from A.O. Smith on aluminum hydroxide as it pertains to water heaters. The substance is described as similar to what Daox found in his heater core (or matrix) and is caused by water with high PH:

Quote Originally Posted by A.O. Smith
    In a few isolated parts of the United States where the water supply has a relatively high pH (8+), water conditions will react with the aluminum anode to form excessive amounts of aluminum hydroxide on the anode and in the bottom of the tank. Aluminum hydroxide looks like “jelly beads” or a green, blue or gray gel like substance in the heater drain or at faucet aerators.
    A.O. Smith lists a product to treat this that they call Un-Lime. In their Bulletin 14 (attached) they recommend using Un-Lime heated to remove the aluminum hydroxide.

In another document (also attached) A.O. Smith lists a different procedure for using Un-Lime and in it they stress to not allow the solution to come in contact with the sacrificial aluminum anode rod:

Because deliming compounds dissolve sacrificial-type anodes used in most water heaters, it is important that solution be kept below the level of the anode rod, fig 3. Magnesium and aluminum are typical sacrifial anode materials.
    DANGER
    KEEP ALL DELIMERS AWAY FROM SACRIFICAL-TYPE ANODE RODS TO PREVENT THE FORMATION OF FLAMMABLE AND EXPLOSIVE GAS.
    If most of the Mirage cooling system is composed of aluminum - engine block, heater core, radiator, water pump - it sounds like using an acidic solution could/would be harmful.

In another section of the document A.O. Smith has the following:

TERMS DESCRIPTION REMOVED BY PROBLEM CAN BE REDUCED OR ELIMINATED BY
    Water Scale - Lime (Hard Water) Calcium and Magnesium Carbonate Deliming with Un-Lime Professional Delimer. Water softening or feeding glassy phosphates
    Water Scale - Other Silicates, Sulfates, Aluminates, etc. Manually scraping Cannot be eliminated but effect can be greatly reduced by periodic deliming with UN-LIME.
    Silt Fine particles of soil or sand suspended in or deposited by water. Flushing Clarifier Filter

This suggests that when it comes to what Daox found fouling his heater core, there may be no solvent that can flush it out. Preventing PH levels from getting out of hand may be the best approach to dealing with this.

Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-02-2020),Top_Fuel (11-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It appears that Mag-Erad has replaced Un-Lime for water heater descaling. Reading through its SDS and product sheet it doesn't say it addresses aluminum hydroxide or if it is hazardous to aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...Preventing PH levels from getting out of hand may be the best approach to dealing with this.
    This sounds like a possibility but I don't think anyone has actually seen pH levels out of whack in a Mirage. The pH levels in my coolant are are normal...but I still have the problem.

Coolant pH Test Results Post them here

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMirage501 View Post
    Hey I'm still reading this thread because my Mirage is blowing hot on one side luke warm the passenger. So what about the blend door actuators? I haven't read any mention of them as being the possible culprit. Anyone here know how many and where the actuators are? And since I have a manual AC with the three knobs would the dealership scanning for codes. even detect and actuator problem ? I'm thinking that's something that has to be checked manually like a fuse. And I'm hoping that the actuators are right by the glove box.
    Any info from anyone here if that could be the issue?
    It is Very Unlikely that your problem lies with the blend doors.