Thread: New to replacing brake pads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

New to replacing brake pads

Hi there, I'm going to be attempting to replace the front brake pads on my '14 mirage (50k miles), but I've never replaced brake pads before. What kind of brake pads are available and how do I find out what type/size/etc to buy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I moved your post into its own thread where it will get more attention.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally, I'm a fan of using RockAuto for parts. Their prices are great and I've had good luck with their parts.

2014 Mirage brake pads

RockAuto is also a sponsor of this site, so they give us a 5% discount code: DAAF7BD6A97B12

As for the pads, in general there are 3 different kinds of brake pad compounds:

Organic
    Semi-Metalic
    Ceramic

Here is a comparison of the different pad materials showing their strengths and weaknesses.

My personal favorite is ceramic. It lasts long and is quiet. I typically buy pads that aren't the cheapest, but something in the midrange.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Personally, I'm a fan of using RockAuto for parts. Their prices are great and I've had good luck with their parts.

2014 Mirage brake pads

RockAuto is also a sponsor of this site, so they give us a 5% discount code: DAAF7BD6A97B12

As for the pads, in general there are 3 different kinds of brake pad compounds:

Organic
    Semi-Metalic
    Ceramic

Here is a comparison of the different pad materials showing their strengths and weaknesses.

My personal favorite is ceramic. It lasts long and is quiet. I typically buy pads that aren't the cheapest, but something in the midrange.
    Thanks Daox. My only question is do I need to buy qty 1 or 2? The listing don't specify whether they are single or pair. I would guess pair, but wanted to make sure before purchase. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1 kit / set will include 4 pads all your front brakes. You do not need 2.