Thread: Scanguage II or Scanguage E?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Scanguage II or Scanguage E?

After my debacle of putting along @50mph for miles and watching the OBC mileage not change to blasting along @90mph for about an hour and watching my OBC mileage RISE!!! I decided I need something better to monitor my fuel use.

The E is available here for about $130. The II will suck $240 from my wallet!!!

I see though the E can monitor everything the II can with the benefit of a real time fuel use graph. Great if it's accurate.

I think most people have the II but was that because the E wasn't available when you bought?

If you had to do it again which model would you go for?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wrote a review of the SG-E and compared it to the SG-II. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall, the SG-II is nicer IMO, but the SG-E does have some nice features.

ScanGauge-E Review and Comparison

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-20-2017),Wallythacker (12-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks so much my friend. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be ordering my E tomorrow and hopefully have it before Xmas so I can track all of the holiday driving I will be doing.

One thing though, does the E get the same date from the OBD port that is fed to the OBC to determine gas mileage?

I know the answer, I think, but I'm hoping the E handles that data in a far more intelligent way. I'll be disappointed if it shows the same fuel use over a 280 mile trip when my speed will be varied from <50mph to >90mph for prolonged periods.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Both of the scangauges calculate fuel economy via their own formulas. They basically use the MAF sensor's readings to estimate fuel consumption. They also will both need to be calibrated to dial them in. Its a very easy process where you just correct the actual gallons used when you fill up. Out of the box it'll get pretty close with just setting your engine size correctly. My SG-II showed I got 44 mpg on my trip to work today and my MFD was at 47 mpg. I haven't had a chance to calibrate mine yet.

BTW, we do sell both of the scangauges as well as a suction cup mount. We don't really advertise them, so people probably don't even know that we do...

ScanGauge fuel economy gauge / trip computer

The SG-E is $99 US shipped to Canada. The SG-II is $155 US shipped to Canada. Not a huge savings, but a little cheaper than your other source. And the profits go to a good cause.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-20-2017)