Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone replaced a clutch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ebay or dealership

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-OE...wAAOSwjvJZRDtc

The axle goes all the way through the threaded nut and the outer part of the nut must be hammered into the keyway to prevent it from backing out. If they made the hammered area non threaded it could be easily reused. Maybe someone can hunt junkyards for one that is reusable.

Attachment 6656

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Sounds like it's all dealer items for now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    If they made the hammered area non threaded it could be easily reused. Maybe someone can hunt junkyards for one that is reusable.
    Got a dremel or air die grinder? It shouldn't be too horrible to grind the threads off.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I've successfully reused the axle nut on a few different mirages. I did manage to mess up the threads on one axle though when I didn't pry the nut open enough.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I reused mine too honestly, it's just hack to risk having your wheel fall off over a couple of dollars. If i knew what i was Doing before i did it i would have bought new ones. In a pinch.... Send It

Edit i just impacted them off / no prying. i must have lucked out on the axle threads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-21-2017)

I guess I'm a pretty lucky hack then lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess I'm a pretty lucky hack then lol

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I would love to know more about this as well. I'm planning on replacing mine myself as well when the time comes, and I'm not really sure what I'm in for.
    Hopefully it's durable enough and you won't have to for many many miles down the road!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Added some pics to Clutch Replacement Album on my Profile

http://mirageforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=148

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icedrgn86 For This Useful Post:

cwatkin (01-12-2018),Eggman (01-07-2018),fc321 (05-20-2018),foama (05-19-2018),Top_Fuel (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was wondering about this myself. My GF doesn't always drive it easy and sometimes rides the clutch a little more than she should. I expect this job to be about like replacing the clutch on the Geo Metros I have done. The transmission is very small on those as well but you must support the engine. I usually use a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan to support the engine. I raise and lower the engine and transmission on separate jacks to get everything lined up so they can be bolted back together. This trick might also work nicely on the Mirage.

I too am curious because I see a clutch replacement in the future for my GF's car. I am hoping this is something I can do over a weekend if not only a few hours and it sounds like this is the case.

I have also never seen a clutch for sale online or at an auto parts store, even special order. I assume this is a dealer item only.

Conor